Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indicated Range 2021 vs 2019 Model 3 P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, just picked up my new Model 3 P…to replace a Model 3 P.

My understanding is that from early 2021 the battery was slightly larger (82kw vs 77kw) and i expected the max range displayed through Tesla app or Stats app to be slightly larger.

However my new one states 310 miles …which is exactly the same as what my old one stated when it was new (now shows 290).

So should it show more than 310, have i got a 77kw battery rather than larger?

All advice and answers appreciated

Can’t speak from experience with a M3P but have 3 Teslas, and over 5 years Tesla experience - the indicated/displayed range is known to be off. Not sure what, exactly, it is based on, but they certainly aren’t absolutes!

Some evidence to this is that say “to reset the indicated/displayed range (of an older Tesla) you drive it down to very low battery, charge it to 100%, and drive it immediately.” Last time I did this, my indicated range (at 100%) stayed the same for about 12 miles of even/uphill driving..

Further, there is usually 12-20 miles of range left when the display indicates “0.” Perhaps the added battery capacity is used for greater reserves and/or to hold true to quoted ranges while also accommodating for battery drain occurring when folks who don’t plug in daily.

Can’t speak from experience with a M3P but have 3 Teslas, and over 5 years Tesla experience - the indicated/displayed range is known to be off. Not sure what, exactly, it is based on, but they certainly aren’t absolutes!

Some evidence to this is that say “to reset the indicated/displayed range (of an older Tesla) you drive it down to very low battery, charge it to 100%, and drive it immediately.” Last time I did this, my indicated range (at 100%) stayed the same for about 12 miles of even/uphill driving..

Further, there is usually 12-20 miles of range left when the display indicates “0.” Perhaps the added battery capacity is used for greater reserves and/or to hold true to quoted ranges while also accommodating for battery drain occurring when folks who don’t plug in daily.
Thanks Testy - i’m on my 4th too - and aware that bigger batteries (as per previous S) show longer range on screen.

So my question stands - for those who have the update Model 3 with the supposed larger battery show more than 310 as the max range?

Maybe something in here:

To find out the battery you need to check the model code of the car, the easiest way is to go to mytesla -> manage you car, and then grab the URL for the car image. If you're on a iphone or something like that then "open image in new tab" or something like that will work.. then look at the url string. In there you'll see some codes one of which will be $MT3xx

If you have MT317 you will have the new bigger battery, MT304 and MT311 are the older battery.

The US EPA rating for the bigger battery car is only 315, the WLTP rating is 352. the older battery were 310 EPA and 329 WLTP. The car uses EPA as its default "how many watts per mile" so the difference is 310-315. A touch of cold weather would by coincidence give the same figure as you'd seen before.

In practice you need to just use it and see what the real world difference is, based on the WLTP testing it should be 329-352 so about 7% which is more or less how much bigger the battery is.

(For more adavnced discussion we can debate the heat pump, but what seems to be happening is this pulled too much heat from the battery which then made it under perform. The same issue was seen with the LFP battery, so there speculation is the heat pump offers some benefit but not as much as originally planned as they don't pull as much heat fromt he battery as they did a year ago).

To find out the battery you need to check the model code of the car, the easiest way is to go to mytesla -> manage you car, and then grab the URL for the car image. If you're on a iphone or something like that then "open image in new tab" or something like that will work.. then look at the url string. In there you'll see some codes one of which will be $MT3xx

If you have MT317 you will have the new bigger battery, MT304 and MT311 are the older battery.

The US EPA rating for the bigger battery car is only 315, the WLTP rating is 352. the older battery were 310 EPA and 329 WLTP. The car uses EPA as its default "how many watts per mile" so the difference is 310-315. A touch of cold weather would by coincidence give the same figure as you'd seen before.

In practice you need to just use it and see what the real world difference is, based on the WLTP testing it should be 329-352 so about 7% which is more or less how much bigger the battery is.

(For more adavnced discussion we can debate the heat pump, but what seems to be happening is this pulled too much heat from the battery which then made it under perform. The same issue was seen with the LFP battery, so there speculation is the heat pump offers some benefit but not as much as originally planned as they don't pull as much heat fromt he battery as they did a year ago).
George, you are the man! Exactly the specifics I was looking for. Great info on option codes in image string. …I can see MY317…so question answered. A big thank you!

Ashley