Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indicator question on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally found a solution to this after months of frustration.
If you slowly push the indicator stalk down so that it registers the half-click on the way to the full-click it works as it should and indicates left to exit.
If you just slam the indicator down (like you typically would in most cars) the it just cancels the right-turn indicator.

Reactions: nufan and Tigermad
If you slowly push the indicator stalk down so that it registers the half-click on the way to the full-click it works as it should and indicates left to exit.
If you just slam the indicator down (like you typically would in most cars) the it just cancels the right-turn indicator.
Its a good job you're not doing something complicated at the time, like negotiating a roundabout!

Trying to get the sequence correct and delicate enough to work, whilst also driving round the Arc de triomphe would be a true test of multitasking skills

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
This worked for me tonight. Thanks :)

I've got exactly the same behaviour with the indicators. If I'm turning right at a roundabout, I'll tap the indicator once to cancel it when I reach the penultimate exit, then indicate left when I get to the exit. Still get odd times when I try to cancel the indicator and it doesn't cancel. The indicator sound is so quiet I sometimes only notice when I look at the display.

Reactions: Tigermad
I don’t have the radio on much - but on motorways I don’t hear them either when they persist. Would be nice to toggle volume to be higher in the config menu. Of have them dynamically adjust to ambient noises.

I’m having issues with my indicators not auto cancelling when I come out of a bend and straighten up the wheel. Finding myself having to manually cancel the indicators. According to the service centre this is “normal”
Doesn’t sound right to me. The bend just near my home is of shape where most of my cars, over the years, would never self cancel. The M3 cancels almost every time.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Had my car for 2 weeks now. One of the things I can’t seem to get right is the indicators. I know that you press them lightly in the same direction to turn them off. Seems to be quite random if they auto turn off or not.
Anyway I’m having trouble on roundabouts. I indicate right to go to a certain exit. When I plan to turn off I push the stalk down to indicate off the junction. But it cancels the indicator instead and i end up not indicating at all. I definitely press the indicator fully down for a full indication. Am I doing something wrong?
Yes, agreed. I have had my Model 3 for 2.5 years now, and feel the indicators are the worst feature of the car. I have tried everything. Doesn't work. The worst is when you want to indicate one way then the other quickly. It's pot luck.

Reactions: Tigermad
Tesla can't use the old fashion mechanical latch indicators becuase FSD wouldn't be able control them interdependently.

Agreed that this is the reason for the Tesla stalk being physically different. What does the Model S stalk do?

Making the turn signal optionally louder would be helpful - using santa mode is too jarring for everyday use. It would also really help if there was an audible cue when the signal auto-cancels as you'd hear in a normal car.

I think Tesla has also unwisely overcomplicated the stalk to do too many things. The response of the stalk seems to depend on whether you last used the stalk within the previous 2 seconds. That's way too subtle and unintuitive for a driver with their attention on a busy road. Changing the response of the stalk depending on whether it's held down or whether it spends part of its travel in the intermediate position is also very unintuitive and error-prone.

IMO the stalk response logic badly needs simplifying. I still haven't got used to the indicator stalk after 6 months and it's still really annoying. I'm regularly misleading other road users because I'm still signalling after turning or my signal gets cancelled. It won't be long before Model 3 drivers get a reputation for signalling errors (as opposed to other marques that have a reputation for never signalling).

IMO it's a real safety issue, other vehicles and pedestrians are depending on those signals to make high consequence decisions, especially with the narrow roads and roundabouts here in the UK.

I think I need to sit in the car without driving and practice using the stalk in every possible way to figure this out...

Agreed that this is the reason for the Tesla stalk being physically different.
My M135i had self parking funtionality which would automatically indicate for me, etc. when parallel parking. That had 'normal' indicator stalks so no reason why Tesla couldn't have done this properly.