Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indicator turning on randomly on highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

widodh

Model S 100D and Y LR
Jan 23, 2011
Venlo, NL
I noticed this earlier this weekend when driving in Germany on TACC (Cruis Control). I did not touch the indicator, but suddenly the car turned on the indicator on the right.

A few seconds later it stopped again.

I had this a few weeks ago as well, suddenly the indicator turned on without me driving on AP or on NoAP, just on TACC.

Right now my S100D is running 2019.32.2.2, but I also had this with previous versions of the software.

Other people who had this as well?

Last edited:
Not here but had other weird stuff like random locking and unlocking. (With walkaway lock and honk on, car sounded haunted somewhat like yours). I think that got fixed with a power down from the menu. Might want to try that. Don’t know if it was 32.2.2 but we are on the same release and never saw these shenanigans in two years. Extremely weird. (This was on my Model X.)

Can’t tell if firmware version or something else and normal reboot didn’t fix it but the power off and wait a couple of minutes seems to have done the trick. No incidents overnight

So I had this again a couple of times. In Germany and the Netherlands. I've now been able to find a location where it happens consistently everytime I drive there on Autopilot.

This is the location: Google Maps

I'm already on the right lane, so I don't have to merge. The indicator however turns on that it wants to move left, but that lane is ending.

Anybody else seeing this behavior?

So I had this again a couple of times. In Germany and the Netherlands. I've now been able to find a location where it happens consistently everytime I drive there on Autopilot.

This is the location: Google Maps

I'm already on the right lane, so I don't have to merge. The indicator however turns on that it wants to move left, but that lane is ending.

Anybody else seeing this behavior?

Yes, this happened to me this weekend as well.

Other people who had this as well?

Yes. We were on long stretch of motorway so not due to exit. I'm afraid I cannot remember if we were passing an off ramp or whether I was on NoA or TACC - it would have been one or the other.

Oddly enough, we had a phantom braking episode when travelling back in opposite direction - TACC briefly went from 70 to 50mph. Quite possibly the same area. We put that one down to bad mapping/gps and it thinking we had entered the off ramp so were slowing. We weren't, we were passing right on through just following the sat nav at TACC speed limit.

It keeps happening consistently at the off-ramp near my house. I posted that link earlier.

Last night when driving home it happened, the week before. Consistently at the same place. Running 2020.4.1 now but the issue is still there.

I see that when using Navigate on Autopilot. It wants to shift from the outside lane to the inside lane to avoid an exit ramp out in the middle of nowhere. I gave up on using NoA because of this and other long-standing bugs. I don’t have the auto-enable feature active. I’ll try NoA out for about 10 miles every 6 months or so and then promptly disable it again. I stopped filing bug reports with Tesla for issues like this because they don’t seem to get addressed.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I can agree with this, on 2020.8.1 this issue still persists in the UK.

I wonder if it's because the car thinks the outside lane is 'Exit only' like in places in the UK. It could be trying to move out of the 'Exit lane', though in the UK (and I think Germany?) the outside lane never ends, you always move off to an off-ramp.

Last edited: