Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indoor charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my M3, and I have a 14-30 plug installed in my garage for use with the mobile adapter.

My dad just got in my head that I should not charge indoors due to fire risk. How serious is this? I think he’s just an overly cautious old guy.

I have an LFP battery so planned to let it go to 100% on the nights before I commute to work, but not necessarily charge it every night.

Thoughts? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Your dad is an idiot. I mean that in a kind way.

Every now and again there's an EV recall that says something like 'don't park in your garage' or 'don't charge in your garage'. Other than those times, charge in your garage! The EV recalls I mention are for particular models of EV, the one I can think of is the Chevrolet Bolt.

Do you really think that if there was any likelihood that an EV in a garage had a any real chance of bursting into flames that it wouldn't be all over the news?

Your dad is an idiot. I mean that in a kind way.

Every now and again there's an EV recall that says something like 'don't park in your garage' or 'don't charge in your garage'. Other than those times, charge in your garage! The EV recalls I mention are for particular models of EV, the one I can think of is the Chevrolet Bolt.

Do you really think that if there was any likelihood that an EV in a garage had a any real chance of bursting into flames that it wouldn't be all over the news?
You’re not wrong. Just tend to be a bit of a worrier and unfortunately he feeds into tjay sometimes! Thanks!

Just got my M3, and I have a 14-30 plug installed in my garage for use with the mobile adapter.

Thoughts? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Been charging in the garage since 2011 on one vehicle or another and now two - and a slew of lawnmowers and yard tools as well. No issues.

Don’t condemn dad, he is just using an older philosophy, but probably doesn’t mind a gas can for the lawnmower in the garage.

Nope, it isn’t a stupid question. Not asking and letting it stew in the back of your mind and stressing and wondering would be bad….

Reactions: DL-21
How far is your commute? I suspect charging to 100% won't be necessary unless you're doing 200+ miles every day.

OP states they have a LFP model 3, so there is no reason to NOT charge it to 100%, and in fact tesla specifically says that they should do this at least once a week with that specific battery.

ust got my M3, and I have a 14-30 plug installed in my garage for use with the mobile adapter.

My dad just got in my head that I should not charge indoors due to fire risk. How serious is this?

As long as the 14-30 adapter was installed by either an electrician or someone competent with electrical, its not any riskier than anything else electrical.

There is always a chance that the EV might catch on fire in your garage. But there's also a chance an ICE car can do the same thing. If you park outside there's also a chance that hail can destroy your car. So the answer is that *sugar* happens and you take a chance with everything in life.