Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Induction cap removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the safest method to remove the lug nut cover on a Tesla 20" induction wheel?
Screenshot_20210116-093234_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: beezy and dhrivnak
That's it? A bent piece of wire? I would hope it fits in the narrow round groove. Seems that it might leave either a mark or a slight deformity in the plastic after pulling on it. I can make one of those in my shop in two minutes. I was thinking more of a blade type of device.

That's it? A bent piece of wire? I would hope it fits in the narrow round groove. Seems that it might leave either a mark or a slight deformity in the plastic after pulling on it. I can make one of those in my shop in two minutes. I was thinking more of a blade type of device.
Make sure the tool isn't in your glovebox - car was supposed to be delivered with one.

I got that tool when I was at the SC. Told them the owners manual says it’s included. They never had anyone ask for it before but found one and gave it to me.

Out of principal, I wouldn’t buy one (yes an Allen wrench would’ve worked too) and since I was already there for a service appointment I asked.

I got that tool when I was at the SC. Told them the owners manual says it’s included. They never had anyone ask for it before but found one and gave it to me.

Out of principal, I wouldn’t buy one (yes an Allen wrench would’ve worked too) and since I was already there for a service appointment I asked.

I went to my SC and asked for the tool. They said they didn’t have any to sell. I asked if they would give me one from the service dept - was told no. When I mentioned the manual says its included they said - it’s not.

So I looked at the digital manual in the car, sadly it says some cars come with it and/or it can be purchased at an auto parts store.

I then proceeded to make a Service appt through the app to request one be provided to me - I received a prompt message that one would not and that I would need to order the part. 😭

Hello

I used these. My wife is a controller and has all of these clips so I grabbed a large one and took off the two arms. Then input them inside the slots (they are spring loaded) so the fit perfectly. I used one on top and one on the bottom and the cap pulled right off. No marks and worked great. See pictures.

Attachments

• 0DCF54B1-0E97-43B0-9A92-E879F0871166.jpeg
    0DCF54B1-0E97-43B0-9A92-E879F0871166.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 8029DAA8-9F34-4AA5-9635-EE5984A88636.jpeg
    8029DAA8-9F34-4AA5-9635-EE5984A88636.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: Glen959 and X-pilot
I went to my SC and asked for the tool. They said they didn’t have any to sell. I asked if they would give me one from the service dept - was told no. When I mentioned the manual says its included they said - it’s not.

So I looked at the digital manual in the car, sadly it says some cars come with it and/or it can be purchased at an auto parts store.

I then proceeded to make a Service appt through the app to request one be provided to me - I received a prompt message that one would not and that I would need to order the part. 😭
Here you go - less than $10

Reactions: paulbk

Yeah, it’s def at discretion of the SC. Bummer yours didn’t give it to you.