Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Induction motor to charge Powerwall 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could an induction motor/generator be used to charge the Powerwall 2, AC?

I am thinking main application is off grid, makes it cheaper/easier to charge using wind/hydro/biofuel/diesel especially in winter in more northern areas when less solar light.

Induction motor, eg 1800 rpm version sped up to 1860 rpm would generate power, sort of like a grid tie inverter... I see issues in how clean power is and a "what happens when powerwall 2 is fully charged and you have surplus power added"... need good safety to either shut down generator or have diversion to hot water tank load or risk of too much voltage.

(I live in Edmonton, only perhaps 2 hours of equivalent sunlight in winter, and the hookup charges to grid are often greater than the charge for energy used. I am currently thinking Powerwall 2 AC looks better than 48v DC for some applications if you can time much of your usage to match when extra AC power is added, then power stays as AC rather ever being converter to battery and back. Downsides of Powerwall 2 may be too much capacity/cost, and need to spend lots on installation guy)

Side point... If I had an induction motor tied to a "diesel engine" as backup (which can run on waste veg oil, waste engine oil, etc), and timed most of loads to happen when solar (or wind, etc) was available, then a smaller pack with lithium titanite chemistry that is end user installed, just as lithium batteries for power tools might be ideal. Eg something less than 70 pounds and not dangerous goods so shipping charges are down and no need for $1000 to $5000 installation guy... might be possible to have same factory cranking out an extra chemistry on the side once demand is met for regular batteries.

Tesla already having lots of practice with induction motors could make a product with high efficiency and some extra safeties that pairs nicely with powerwall 2, and in future such an induction motor product may also work with a scaled down battery pack to make an electric scooter/motorcycle.