Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Induction Stoves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you considered another bump to 48v? Makes everything cheaper since so much is based on current not power.

Our usage is very small along with the size of our trailer. We are just happy to get rid of the rattley old oven and cooktop for a single induction unit. Opens up so much space. The 3 panels we have up top will be removed along with A/C Dometic unit in favor of more larger panels. Covid pushed us back a year on this so we have an empty shell at this point. Always open to suggestions.

Our usage is very small along with the size of our trailer. We are just happy to get rid of the rattley old oven and cooktop for a single induction unit. Opens up so much space. The 3 panels we have up top will be removed along with A/C Dometic unit in favor of more larger panels. Covid pushed us back a year on this so we have an empty shell at this point. Always open to suggestions.

System voltage is more about peak load than usage. I would definitely look at the cost of 48v vs 24v especially if the plan is to use it to run a ~1kW induction hob. 1kW at 48v is ~21A vs 42A @ 24v. Plus your charge controller can be 50% smaller.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: mspohr and outdoors
Have been working on convincing my parents to upgrade their NG built-in cooktop to induction. They're now planning on doing this in 1-2 years when they expect to remodel the kitchen.

Initially tried selling them on the usual performance and efficiency points, but what seems to have ultimately worked best was the air quality argument. My dad has asthma and they have a rescued Hahn's macaw parrot. Birds are even more sensitive to poor air quality than us non-winged bipeds hence the history of the canary in the coal mine.

Have been working on convincing my parents to upgrade their NG built-in cooktop to induction. They're now planning on doing this in 1-2 years when they expect to remodel the kitchen.

Initially tried selling them on the usual performance and efficiency points, but what seems to have ultimately worked best was the air quality argument. My dad has asthma and they have a rescued Hahn's macaw parrot. Birds are even more sensitive to poor air quality than us non-winged bipeds hence the history of the canary in the coal mine.
Also, if you have a self-cleaning oven or two, the gasses given off during the first hour or so can be lethal to birds. My owners manual instructs me to remove any birds from the area in addition to venting the room well.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
We're in the process of building a new home. Temporarily living in our garage apartment with a two burner induction cooktop. We love it. Works incredibly well. Instant control of heat and the glass top never gets any burned on food.
Our new house will have an induction range (as well as heat pump hydronic heating and hot water.)

We have in-floor heat pump hydronic heating and it does a fantastic job. You’re going to love it. If there’s interest, I can start a new thread with pics, details and energy consumption info.

My experience with induction isn’t quite as good. My parents bought a Jenn Air induction range when they built a house in 2014. It, of course, performs as you’d expect - powerful, efficient, easy cleanup. However, it has some quirks...
  • It makes lots of high pitch buzzes and pinging sounds.
  • Its adjustment is only 10 steps. I often find myself wanting additional half steps, particularly when cooking bacon.
  • Touch interface can be frustrating at times.
  • Everything @holmgang said
But the biggest problem is its idle consumption of 370 (yes, three-hundred and seventy) watts! Numerous calls to Jenn Air’s tech support have resulted in no satisfactory resolution or even a plausible explanation of what it’s doing with all of that power. As far as I can tell, it doesn’t get warm, so I’m at a loss. Jenn Air suggested it was a feature to smooth dirty incoming power because something something sensitive electronics. :confused:

Anyway, rather than replace the entire unit, they keep the circuit breakers off when it isn’t in use. This has resulted in a dramatic reduction in energy consumption with only minimal extra effort on their part.

picture below: they began switching off the circuit breakers in mid-June this year, after we installed the Emporia energy monitoring system at the end of 2019.

View attachment 612163

Has anyone else seen this sort of thing? Any idea what’s going on?

Are you sure it is real energy? Do you happen to have solar? My induction rice cooker would show power consumption during the day in concert with solar. If I recall correctly when I turned on the debugging feature of the eMonitor I was using to monitor power consumption I could see that it was showing power production as well which nets out to about zero. The Jenn Air answer is actually probably spot on. I suspect there are capacitors in the power supply of induction cooktops. Those capacitors are probably reacting to grid fluctuations which causes simple power meters to misreport energy consumption.

You can test this by turning everything else off in the house. You should be able to see if that usage is registered on the utility meter. Utilities generally charge residential customers for real power not apparent power consumption.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
Are you sure it is real energy? Do you happen to have solar? My induction rice cooker would show power consumption during the day in concert with solar. If I recall correctly when I turned on the debugging feature of the eMonitor I was using to monitor power consumption I could see that it was showing power production as well which nets out to about zero. The Jenn Air answer is actually probably spot on. I suspect there are capacitors in the power supply of induction cooktops. Those capacitors are probably reacting to grid fluctuations which causes simple power meters to misreport energy consumption.

You can test this by turning everything else off in the house. You should be able to see if that usage is registered on the utility meter. Utilities generally charge residential customers for real power not apparent power consumption.

No solar. Not sure if the consumption is real or not, as the unit doesn’t appear to be generating 370 watts worth of heat. However, the CTs on the circuit for the cooktop and the CTs on the main all report this consistent draw. I haven’t had an opportunity to check the utility meter, which is digital and has a cryptic display... I’ll check into it. I’ll reference the utility bills, as well.

Last edited:
I couldn't resist. Gonna let some friends borrow this. Killing gas connections. One loaned induction cooktop at a time :)

Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 5.56.59 PM.png