Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Induction Stoves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to remove our Thermador cook top and install an induction unit, looked in to this years ago but most of them require a 240v 50 amp circuit breaker and have no more room in my MSP. Could do the portable unit not sure it is worth changing the pots and pans.
Our thermador induction will run on 240/30A. Look around at different models

Induction cooktops are great, we replaced our regular electric with one. However as most things in life, quality units are very very expensive ($2k and up). I suggest to steer away from cheap units or you’ll get blamed by the friends wife because of the poor performance of that unit. And you don’t want that.

• Funny
Reactions: abasile and Dave EV
Also something to be considered - the video in post #8 points out that cooking with NG decreases indoor air quality. Would like to see some hard numbers on this as this would be another selling point.
I don't doubt the drop in air quality, but I'm a lot more inclined to think it is from the cooking per se and not NG Vs electric/induction.

This must be even more true in my home since we like charred food

Am I wrong ?

Also something to be considered - the video in post #8 points out that cooking with NG decreases indoor air quality. Would like to see some hard numbers on this as this would be another selling point.

There's this article from Vox covering a recent study.

Gas stoves can generate unsafe levels of indoor air pollution

I don't doubt the drop in air quality, but I'm a lot more inclined to think it is from the cooking per se and not NG Vs electric/induction.

Am I wrong ?

It's the gas. The worst pollutant appears to be NO2. You can't get NO2 from cooking food... even if you like well blackened ;)

Cooking food appears to lower the levels with gas stoves since you're cooking food instead of cooking air and NO2 comes from cooking air (at higher temperatures than you get from electric)

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 10.01.53 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: abasile and iPlug
It's the gas. The worst pollutant appears to be NO2. You can't get NO2 from cooking food... even if you like well blackened ;)
Down the rabbit hole ..
https://www3.epa.gov/ttncatc1/dir1/fnoxdoc.pdf

They point out that NO2 is a pollutant due to its interaction with light to produce tropospheric ozone. I'm not sure but that sounds like a reaction that takes place outside.

I'm not sure that your conclusion is correct about charred food. It is true that charred food does not emit NOx, but if I am understanding correctly, the higher the cooking temperature, the more the NOx

Am I wrong ?
This is all new to me as well. Haven't stumbled across this or had much thought on it until this thread; nwdiver data above is the first I've seen.

IIRC you mentioned in the past having concerns for indoor air quality and the importance of heat exchangers to help manage this without losing the insulation envelope of the home. In your case, sounds like still not a problem.

IRC you mentioned in the past having concerns for indoor air quality and the importance of heat exchangers to help manage this without losing the insulation envelope of the home.
Yep, although I was talking about CO2 and humidity. I don't really concern myself with cooking related emissions since we ventilate the kitchen for a few minutes after charring cooking.

^^ Google found some reports of lung injury from NOx in the ppm range. I have not read details yet.
Your cooking table is in the ppb range

Fwiw, I have fairly reactive Asthma and have never been bothered by routine cooking. Even our episodes of turning the kitchen into a plume of smoke have not resulted in an asthma attack.

• Funny
Reactions: Dave EV
That 'chronic' exposure is a high bar. Makes sense if you are cooking most of every day

I'm not sure it applies to routine family cooking, and even less so if a kitchen window is opened for a couple minutes

Depends on how well ventilated your house is. If NO2 levels go to 100ppm when cooking breakfast would they be <20 by dinner time? If they go back to ~100 when cooking dinner would they be <20 by breakfast the next morning?

Depends on how well ventilated your house is. If NO2 levels go to 100ppm when cooking breakfast would they be <20 by dinner time? If they go back to ~100 when cooking dinner would they be <20 by breakfast the next morning?
All good questions. I'll add that I don't know if the measurements you posted earlier are average in the kitchen, or just above the frying pan.