Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Induction Stoves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we got the $59 1600W iSiLER one. We have been using it for about a year now. Also got an "interface disk" that looked a lot like a pizza platter they push pizzas into and out of the oven. Stainless steel. This avoided the need to have to convert all of the pots and pans.
This is an excellent way to try out induction cooktops, you will find yourself hooked and then want to replace your entire cooktop!

I do find it interesting that it costs $60 for a good single pot induction cooktop, but $1000-2000 for a full size. Seems like the cost should be around half or $500-1000.

This is an excellent way to try out induction cooktops, you will find yourself hooked and then want to replace your entire cooktop!

I do find it interesting that it costs $60 for a good single pot induction cooktop, but $1000-2000 for a full size. Seems like the cost should be around half or $500-1000.

One of my co-workers apparently has an induction cooktop. He got it at Ikea for ~$600. Says he loves it.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
Yes I need a 36, I will have my electrician check the wire size to see if the 30 could be upgraded to. 40 or 50.
Can your service panel support quad breakers? If so and you haven't maxed that out, you might have room in your panel.

My best guess is COVID and a big turn to home cooking/upgrade desires. Like toilet paper shortages, but with a real increase in demand as opposed to hoarding.

Our 36" induction range is in the "mid" tier. It is excellent. Just under $800 almost 2 years ago and double that price now and a few months ago when last checked.

• Informative
Reactions: nwdiver
Can your service panel support quad breakers? If so and you haven't maxed that out, you might have room in your panel.
Yes, I just had it replaced so I can do a couple of Powerwalls. It is on a quad 2 30amp breakers for the cook top and 2 30amp for the pool.

My best guess is COVID and a big turn to home cooking/upgrade desires. Like toilet paper shortages, but with a real increase in demand as opposed to hoarding.

Our 36" induction range is in the "mid" tier. It is excellent. Just under $800 almost 2 years ago and double that price now and a few months ago when last checked.

Induction cooktops are great, we replaced our regular electric with one. However as most things in life, quality units are very very expensive ($2k and up). I suggest to steer away from cheap units or you’ll get blamed by the friends wife because of the poor performance of that unit. And you don’t want that.
I went for the cheapest available induction range, a Frigidaire for which we paid about $800. My wife and I are quite happy with it.

• Informative
So... one of my friends is building a house and I managed to convince him to go 100% electric. The biggest hurdle as it often seems to be is that his wife 'had' to have a gas stove. I was aware of induction stoves but I hadn't really looking into them. When I converted everything in my home to electric I didn't even consider induction, just never crossed my mind. I guess because I'm not that sophisticated when it comes to cooking.

Now that I've done a bit of research I'm really impressed. Aside from the fact that non-ferrous pans don't work they appear to be superior to gas in every way. The main complain against electric stove I've heard is that they don't respond quick enough. Induction does since it heats the pan directly.

Does anyone here have an induction stove? Which model?
I've owned a Monogram (2009) and a Wolf (2011) in 2 different houses. They were both awesome. Theoretically they aren't good for people with a pacemaker. And you cannot make stir fry Wok fashion. Lastly, as you've said, have to get rid of non-ferrous pots and pans.. Otherwise, better in every way

• Informative
I may not be a professional chef, but I absolutely hate the gas stove in my current place.

It seems like a lot of wasted heat, plus it's a greenhouse gas.

Costco has a killer deal on right now. $130 for an induction cooktop and a set of pans.

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 10.23.09 PM.png

We've had Cooktek induction burners for almost 20 years. They are the best decision we made back then when redoing our kitchen. Ours are 2 burner hobs arranged side by side the long way, that is with all 4 burners in a row so both my wife and I can cook side by side with 2 12" burners each. Ours are set flush with the surface, so it's all usable as a work surface when we're not cooking on them.

These are professional units, but unlike real professional gas ranges, you don't need special fireproofing and ventilation. Note that most places don't allow actual professional stoves to be installed in private homes without these features. The home versions of Wolf and Vulcan are not as powerful as actual restaurant stoves.

Compared to our friends' high end ranges, e.g. Wolf or Vulcan, our burners are both much hotter and can go much lower. I did an experiment where I put a square of chocolate in a pan on a hob on the lowest setting and left it there for an hour. At the end the chocolate was liquid but the logo was still visible. Any other burner would have scorched the chocolate. For most pans, the high end is the equivalent of about 22K BTU because normal gas ranges waste so much of the heat. We actually don't use the high end much except for deep or stir frying, it's just too strong.

They respond to setting changes a bit faster than gas because they don't have heavy grates and are much more responsive than electric or infrared. They also heat up faster because of the higher effective BTU output compared to a Wolf or Vulcan, about 22K vs 16K. When we cook with our friends we're always surprised at how long it takes their stoves to heat up.

A nice side effect of how they work is that the surface doesn't get hotter than the pan. That means that if something boils over, you can just lift the pan and wipe off the surface with a sponge or paper towel without burning it. Apart from the area under the pan it's not hot at all. I regularly stir fry with a bowl of ingredients right next to the pan touching it while it's on the burner so nothing spills as I put ingredients in..

I used to swear by NG cook top, but my wife always hated the idea of having a gas leak, so when it came time to replace ours I did some reseach and switched to induction. That was a fantastic choice. I've since convinced my sister-in-law to get one too.

There is one drawback that I've noticed so far. With my flat cook top, it's not really possible to use a curved wok, the pan always has to be in "contact" with the element.

Other than that, I'm in love. Here are a few things that I'd like to point out:
1. No CO or other emmisions in the house!
2. Element is cool to the touch, it's only hot for a short period of time due to the contact with the pans.
3. CONTROL. There are some things that I'd typically need a double boiler for (melting chocolate for example). With this cooktop, I just have to turn down the temperature and I don't have to worry about burning the chocolate.. the pan just gets warm instead of really hot right under the NG flame and cold elsewhere.
4. Cleanup. The flat surface makes cleanup a breeze compared to all those irregular element shapes from natural gas and resistive elements. Compared to glass top electrical, induction wins too since the element isn't as hot and can be wiped up right away without burning yourself (think boiled over pasta.. just wipe it up right away)
5. POWER. I did a semi controlled test of boiling one litre of room temperature water (before I got rid of my gas stove and after I got the induction. Gas: 8 minutes. Induction, a little less than 3 minutes! Gettting accustomed to this amount of heat may have you buring a few things to begin with.

In addition to the above, induction also fit in nicely with my plan to rid the NG hookup to my house. I've since switched out my mid efficiency gas furnace and gas water heater with a Mitzubishi Zuba ASHP, and a Rheem ASHP water heater. Now if I could just get rid of that second car (haven't driven it since the start of COVID) and find an alternative to my propane BBQ, I'd be fully electric!

I used to swear by NG cook top, but my wife always hated the idea of having a gas leak, so when it came time to replace ours I did some reseach and switched to induction. That was a fantastic choice. I've since convinced my sister-in-law to get one too.

There is one drawback that I've noticed so far. With my flat cook top, it's not really possible to use a curved wok, the pan always has to be in "contact" with the element.

I use this wok on my induction cooktop find it works just fine!!

https://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-...&keywords=cuisinart+wok&qid=1606312549&sr=8-2

I have been reading the threads and am really interested in replacing an old Viking gas 6 burner cooktop with induction. BIG problem. The center island where the existing cooktop is located is set onto a limestone tile floor on concrete slab with radiant heat. The existing power there is 120V 20A. I assume that here is some kind of metallic conduit or metal cable in the slab just for the 120V. Other than tearing up tile and carefully making a groove in the concrete for new conduit from the 'perimeter' of the kitchen to the island, I'm stuck as I would need 240V 40A service.

I have been reading the threads and am really interested in replacing an old Viking gas 6 burner cooktop with induction. BIG problem. The center island where the existing cooktop is located is set onto a limestone tile floor on concrete slab with radiant heat. The existing power there is 120V 20A. I assume that here is some kind of metallic conduit or metal cable in the slab just for the 120V. Other than tearing up tile and carefully making a groove in the concrete for new conduit from the 'perimeter' of the kitchen to the island, I'm stuck as I would need 240V 40A service.
Wow, that's tricky! Unless you can easily relocate the cooktop and repurpose the island for something else, it seems you'd have no choice other than to disturb the tile and the concrete slab. However, if you expect to remain in your current home for a number of years, it might be worthwhile to bite the bullet and install a 240V 50A circuit, while keeping the existing 120V 20A circuit.

Faced with a similar situation, I added a "decorative accent" to my floor. Ended up looking better than the plain floor. Sorry, no pictures. This was a while back! Be creative!