Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Induction Stoves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could go the Nema 6-20 route... sacrifice a 120v circuit, repurpose the N as a L. That would give you ~3.8kW. Unless you're cooking Thanksgiving dinner for 10 people that should be plenty. There's a large variety of induction inserts available on amazon. I wish more induction stoves had a current selector like the HPWC does. How often would you REALLY need to pull >10kW into the stove? It's SUPER-rare that you have all the burners dialed to 100%....
My current electric cooktop is on a 30 amp breaker, most all of the induction cooktops say they need a 40 or 50amp breaker. Could you elaborate more on the Nema 6-20 etc.

My current electric cooktop is on a 30 amp breaker, most all of the induction cooktops say they need a 40 or 50amp breaker. Could you elaborate more on the Nema 6-20 etc.

There's plenty of induction cooktops that pull <30A. But the 'need' for a 40A or 50A circuit is to allow all burners to be at 100%... how often do you need that? I can't think of a single time I've been using all mine at 100%...

Yes, we would never have all burners on at one time but could not find a 36 inch induction cooktop that was rated at 30 amps.

To each his own I suppose but as mentioned earlier I would personally be 110% comfortable putting an induction stove capable of pulling 50A on a 30A circuit provided there was also a 30A breaker. I have 120v outlets all over my house that could also potentially pull 4-5x their circuit rating but its never been an issue ;) The odds of tripping the breaker are very... very low and it's not like resetting a breaker is hard.

Really wish they'd come out with stoves with an adjustable dial like HPWCs have... seems like that wouldn't be a hard thing to engineer....

You'd have a 20A circuit protected by a 20A breaker. There would be no more risk of a fire than if you had a 40A circuit protected by a 40A breaker. If there's a fire it would be the fault of the 20A breaker for allowing >20A...

Really wouldn't be that much different to how regular 110v outlets are wired. You're allowed to put 10 outlets on a 20A circuit even though each outlet could pull 12A.... 'cause 99.9% of the time you're not going to have more than one thing plugged into that circuit pulling 12A. If you try to run a vacuum and a space heater the breaker trips... no fire... just a tripped breaker. You reset the breaker and move on with life ;)

Our 36” induction range is on a 40 A breaker. I’m not qualified to make a recommendation, but according to these ratings, looks like 30 A would also work:

74A7D6F2-B507-4CE4-8F98-55737CEA7962.jpeg

Officially they note that the minimum circuit required is 40 A.

A bit off topic, but I only have 1 gas appliance left.. my BBQ. My current one is propane, but is falling apart. I researched if there was anything like an electric BBQ, but it seems that pretty much like using a George Foreman. I wonder if there is some sort of hybrid charcoal/electric to allow for flavour infusion. Also, I like using the rotissery feature of my current BBQ. Maybe this is one consession I'll have to make.

By July all gas will be gone at our house. (Most is gone already, just the tankless hot water heater and the HVAC heating are left).
Same for years now to include gasoline & oil as well. All yard tools and landscaping tools are electric/rechargeable and I even sold a NG grill I had a NG stub-out installed for. Now I just use the pellet smoker for all things grilling/smoking.

I love that our entire household's energy needs are met domestically. Not a cent of our money goes to Middle East or Russian interests. I'll let our local power providers set the pace for conversion to sustainable production methods but I've done my part by making all of my needs met by their production alone.

More people need to think of it this way rather than this stupid argument over how much coal is used and how clean the power production really is. I think that argument deflects from the important aspects and if everyone took the stance of getting everything met domestically the next phase will be leaning on the power providers with more voices IMHO.

A bit off topic, but I only have 1 gas appliance left.. my BBQ. My current one is propane, but is falling apart. I researched if there was anything like an electric BBQ, but it seems that pretty much like using a George Foreman. I wonder if there is some sort of hybrid charcoal/electric to allow for flavour infusion. Also, I like using the rotissery feature of my current BBQ. Maybe this is one consession I'll have to make.
Or you could just give up bbq meat with its cancer potential.

Reactions: gene