Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Induction Stoves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit off topic, but I only have 1 gas appliance left.. my BBQ. My current one is propane, but is falling apart. I researched if there was anything like an electric BBQ, but it seems that pretty much like using a George Foreman. I wonder if there is some sort of hybrid charcoal/electric to allow for flavour infusion. Also, I like using the rotissery feature of my current BBQ. Maybe this is one consession I'll have to make.

Charcoal emits about 3x of the CO2 compared to propane/NG for the same task.

However, charcoal is made from wood, so all of its CO2 came from the atmosphere, while the propane is a fossil fuel. Seems like a toss-up.

Hopefully the CyberTruck will come equipped with a 15kw electric BBQ lol

Charcoal emits about 3x of the CO2 compared to propane/NG for the same task.

However, charcoal is made from wood, so all of its CO2 came from the atmosphere, while the propane is a fossil fuel. Seems like a toss-up.

Hopefully the CyberTruck will come equipped with a 15kw electric BBQ lol
I don't see the problem with an electric bbq. Both electric and gas are just heat sources and don't impart any flavor by themselves. Most bbqs rely on something like lava rock to capture dripping juices, vaporize them and impart flavor. You can also add wood chips to get smoke.

I don't see the problem with an electric bbq. Both electric and gas are just heat sources and don't impart any flavor by themselves. Most bbqs rely on something like lava rock to capture dripping juices, vaporize them and impart flavor. You can also add wood chips to get smoke.

Electric is an alternative to propane.

Replacing charcoal is different since that gives a distinct flavor. Mmm, charcoal-grilled liver.

Reactions: mspohr
Same for years now to include gasoline & oil as well. All yard tools and landscaping tools are electric/rechargeable and I even sold a NG grill I had a NG stub-out installed for. Now I just use the pellet smoker for all things grilling/smoking.

I love that our entire household's energy needs are met domestically. Not a cent of our money goes to Middle East or Russian interests. I'll let our local power providers set the pace for conversion to sustainable production methods but I've done my part by making all of my needs met by their production alone.

More people need to think of it this way rather than this stupid argument over how much coal is used and how clean the power production really is. I think that argument deflects from the important aspects and if everyone took the stance of getting everything met domestically the next phase will be leaning on the power providers with more voices IMHO.
Exactly why I bought my first Tesla. A person by the same nameas my brother is listed as amongst the dead 9/11/2001. Don't hate on them, but don't see any reason to give those folks or that region (or the Russians, Iranians, or Venezuelans) any more of my money.

Reactions: jerry33
Nah, my house is roof-constrained and I can't get enough panels to really convert my hot water, furnace, and kitchen to gas. But yes, all electric is the dream for clean energy.

Well, except the kitchen. Electric cooktops suck from a taste and yum yum perspective. The environment can take a back seat for good flavor.
Electric cooktops sucks from all perspectives

Electric cooktops sucks from all perspectives
Yes the traditional one's do suck. Have you tried an induction cooktop? They have two in the demonstration kitchen a Williams Sonoma. We replaced a traditional electric cooktop with an induction cooktop and it was fast and only the pot heated up. They are more efficient than traditional electric elements. Almost all the hot water pots that are electric and have that knob in the middle are induction and they are fast.

Yes the traditional one's do suck. Have you tried an induction cooktop?
Yes. We have induction in our place in Mammoth. It sucks compared to gas. Special cookware and it still reacts slower (and this considering that water boils a lot quicker at 8,000 ft since it doesn't have to get as hot.)

Of course I cannot compare cooking quality because of the elevation variable with lower boiling points and such. But as far as response goes, gas is still better

Induction is awesome (which I currently have). I prefer it to gas. And it also has the benefit of not poisoning occupants.
Well over 90% of cook tops in this state are gas and gas has been used for decades. The mount of CO and other exhaust is so minimal, it's not even a concern.

I wish I could put solar in this place. But with trees all around and 300+ inches of snow each year on a roof that is over 3 stories high, it is just not possible. Because we cannot get solar, gas would be the next best option for this place (which also isn't available.) Using natural gas directly is much more efficient than using electricity form the grid created by natural gas power plants (which is the primary source of power in CA.) The electric bill can sometimes get over $1,000/month in the winter since everything is electric.

Ironically, it is our main house in the Inland Empire of SoCal that has solar AND gas. Everything is natural gas and we have no 220v outlets or circuits anywhere in the house except for what was added later for the pool and AC. So the expense alone of converting everything to electric would not be worth it

Last edited:
There is a lot of info on TMC about induction stoves, since it seems like the last couple pages of the thread has some discussion around that. Here is the biggest thread I am aware of here:

But there are also a few in the off topic area if you search for "induction vs gas". I am not moving these out of here because I understand how the discussion came up, but just pointing out there is a lot more info here about it in the thread above, should people want to continue that part of the discussion.

This is my plan, brand new house so going to go with induction range and heat pump for heating and AC. That factor of 3 will be awesome for the heat pump, saving me 5-10 MW a year.
I replaced my electric with a gas stovetop I ran new plumbing for. Changed my propane heating to mini split heat pumps. Went to electric dryer. Home now 99% electric

This is my plan, brand new house so going to go with induction range and heat pump for heating and AC. That factor of 3 will be awesome for the heat pump, saving me 5-10 MW a year.

Right on. We are heat-pump as well for heating/cooling, and we also have a heat-pump water heater.

The stove is great, but it will require some learning (like all new technologies do). It's just a little different than gas, but the pros far outweigh the cons in my book... Fast boiling, extremely easy to keep clean, not toxic emissions into the house. My only con would be that it stops heating when you lift of a pan (unlike gas). I never used cheap aluminum cookware, so it didn't limit our cookware in that regard.

Reactions: Dave EV and BM3B
Well over 90% of cook tops in this state are gas and gas has been used for decades. The mount of CO and other exhaust is so minimal, it's not even a concern.
Scientific research disagrees with your armchair heuristic. Just because it is/was normal, doesn't mean it's right. There're many things in society that were normal that we now look back on as being problematic and sometimes barbaric. Fossil fuels will be looked back on in such a way.

Edit: I should clarify that fossil fuel usage in the face of available renewable/clean technology will be not looked on favorably by history.

Last edited:
Scientific research disagrees with your armchair heuristic. Just because it is/was normal, doesn't mean it's right. There're many things in society that were normal that we now look back on as being problematic and sometimes barbaric. Fossil fuels will be looked back on in such a way.
That's not what I meant. My reply wasn't an appeal to tradition to justify the use. My reply was a counter to the health risks claim. The fact that most use gas stove tops for decades without even running a vent while they are in use, health issues are minimal at most. Brining up the poisoning claim was a bit misleading.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
That's not what I meant. My reply wasn't an appeal to tradition to justify the use. My reply was a counter to the health risks claim. The fact that most use gas stove tops for decades without even running a vent while they are in use, health issues are minimal at most. Brining up the poisoning claim was a bit misleading.
And Romans thought that lead pipes for water were safe because they used them for a long time before the effects started to occur.

Brining up the poisoning claim was a bit misleading.
Natural gas was the preferred method of lighting before Edison perfected the light bulb. We don't know if anyone was poisoned but there were a lot more fires back then that killed people. That is my main reason to want to get rid of it in my next home.

There is a lot of info on TMC about induction stoves, since it seems like the last couple pages of the thread has some discussion around that. Here is the biggest thread I am aware of here:

But there are also a few in the off topic area if you search for "induction vs gas". I am not moving these out of here because I understand how the discussion came up, but just pointing out there is a lot more info here about it in the thread above, should people want to continue that part of the discussion.

One of the other mods must have decided to merge this with the induction stove topic. Just a reminder that there are more than one of us :)