Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Induction - Tesla Control App for Android and Android Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed the app this morning.

I've seen strange HVAC behavior while I've been driving today:
* In the morning the temperature was nice, I didn't need HVAC and had it turned off on the car. However, while driving, every few minutes the HVAC would turn itself on.
* In the afternoon I was driving with the HVAC on. However, every few minutes the HVAC would mysteriously turn itself off.

I wasn't interacting with my phone or watch while this was happening. It might not be related to Induction, but the correlation with me installing Induction strongly suggests to me that it is because of Induction.
Any ideas?
When you change the temperature in the car it turns on the HVAC but it does not show as being on.
Bug - I drive a couple times today after installing the app. The climate system would turn itself off every 5-10 minutes by itself. Never had this happen previously.

Sorry about that! Bug has been found and dealt with. Please update to latest version 0.9721

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed increased battery use after installing this app? I noticed my battery life go down by about 50% with this installed. Uninstalled it and back to normal consumption. Tried twice just in case I was on something and its for sure killing my battery faster.
Your device battery life? or car battery life? There are no long lasting background services in the app. In any case I'll look into battery optimizations. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
Your device battery life? or car battery life? There are no long lasting background services in the app. In any case I'll look into battery optimizations. Thanks for the heads up.

Yea I just realized I should have clarified... Not used to having an EV lol.
This is phone battery life.
If there is a way I could tell you what exactly is keeping the phone awake I would let you know, but I have no idea.

Just checked my phone, no extra drain at all (doesnt even show up in battery usage)

If you really want to be sure, check betterbatterystats (I think, from memory)

Note: I didn't enable 'walk to car' or any watch functions (most likely culprits)

New major update!

+ Ability to cancel wear service and camp service from notification shade. No longer requires having to open the app to close the service.
+ In-app temperature display now optional. Getting temperature requires the car to toggle HVAC and increases loading times. Off by default.
+ QuickStart Mode. Immediately shows main UI which shows cached info while the current info is loaded in the background. Actions can be selected and will be executed when a connection is made with the car.
+ Login with a user generated access token. Summon and remote start will be unavailable.

As usual, let us know of any bugs you may encounter or new features you'd like to see.

• Informative
Reactions: Off Shore
Just bought it, Connecting doesn't feel faster, although it's nice to see it loading the various steps instead of what I used to do: exit official app every twenty seconds till something shows ups.

Mostly I'd like stuff to happen asynchronously. An example of what mean is enabling HVAC. I don't care when it's turned on, I just want it to happen in the near future. Basically, show the UI as soon as possible whilst retrieving the details in the background. Those details being particularly unimportant for HVAC, door lock status, roof closing, etc.

My real life HVAC example
Tesla app:
Open app,
watch wheel spin for a while,
press back,
open app
realize you're still connected to wifi with a bad connection,
Disable wifi
press back
open app
it loaded, 'awesome'
open HVAC
Wait for it to load
Switch it on
Great,
Realize you're standing next to your car by the time it finally worked.

What I'd like Induction to do:
Open app
App opens instantly
(retrieve details in background)
Enable HVAC
(do whatever you want or need to do, just switch on the HVAC sometime during the 2-3 minutes it takes me to get to my car)

Same for charging, just let me get there asap and show me a cached truth or retrieve the details in the meantime whilst being responsive to other commands. In short, get rid of the first ten steps and I'll be extremely happy with the app.

The worst? Summon, infuriating on EU models (app only). I consider two minutes between wanting to use summon and actually using it 'good'

I actually work in IT, here's some buzzwords for what I want: asynchronous idempotent responsive actions (where relevant, definitely not summon :))

Your async features have arrived!

Thanks, very cool

Lets see, bugs:
HVAC - any temperature change goes straight to LO for me. App in metric or imperial doesnt matter (didn't test changing car units. I assume that it doesnt matter as imperial would have been HI)
ROOF - Never works, neither opening, closing, never.
SUMMON - gone? Could be user error

Feature requests
HVAC - I have no idea why I'd want to remotely change my passenger seat temp. Maybe just make it a bigger button that does the entire car? :)
ROOF - Slider could be larger or more intuitive. Without even trying I'm pretty sure a 4% open is near impossible
ROOF - Wouldn't be surprised if most roof interaction is closing it, maybe add a close roof button?
Useful homescreen - as much as I enjoy the animation, I'd rather just have a 'quick start' (thanks again) with a 'quick execution of useful functions'. Maybe enlarge the status icons and make stuff like HVAC toggleable?
REMOTE START - Unlocked phone is unlocked car is started car. I have a fingerprint scanner, basically once phone is open its nice and quick to start the car remotely. But not everyone does, maybe consider at least a pincode?
SUMMON - Having to hold down a direction would be nice (with cancel if released). Or make the cancel target larger, even though the car is pretty good at missing stuff its a bit scary
Animations - nice, but could be quicker. Add setting?

Preventative feature creep request:
Someone is going to want all kinds of maps, logs, graphs, data, cookie crumbs etc. That's cool, but please make and keep the homescreen fast and useful :) Just hide the bells&whistles.

Have already tried clearing data and logging in again, did not fix bugs.

Last edited:
I have tested the app on my tablet, and although it works, the UI is not optimized for a tablet screen size (with obvious formatting glitches).

The bigger problem is that it is not working at all for my galaxy S6 phone - it gives me an ERROR message when trying to log on with my Tesla credentials. Does this happen due to the fact that I had already logged on with my Galaxy Tab?

Consider adding quick function widgets, similar to the AutoAlly app. I love the "climate on" widget that Auto Ally has available, leveraging an advantage that Android has over iOS.

Thanks, very cool

Lets see, bugs:
HVAC - any temperature change goes straight to LO for me. App in metric or imperial doesnt matter (didn't test changing car units. I assume that it doesnt matter as imperial would have been HI)
ROOF - Never works, neither opening, closing, never.
SUMMON - gone? Could be user error

Feature requests
HVAC - I have no idea why I'd want to remotely change my passenger seat temp. Maybe just make it a bigger button that does the entire car? :)
ROOF - Slider could be larger or more intuitive. Without even trying I'm pretty sure a 4% open is near impossible
ROOF - Wouldn't be surprised if most roof interaction is closing it, maybe add a close roof button?
Useful homescreen - as much as I enjoy the animation, I'd rather just have a 'quick start' (thanks again) with a 'quick execution of useful functions'. Maybe enlarge the status icons and make stuff like HVAC toggleable?
REMOTE START - Unlocked phone is unlocked car is started car. I have a fingerprint scanner, basically once phone is open its nice and quick to start the car remotely. But not everyone does, maybe consider at least a pin code?
SUMMON - Having to hold down a direction would be nice (with cancel if released). Or make the cancel target larger, even though the car is pretty good at missing stuff its a bit scary
Animations - nice, but could be quicker. Add setting?

Preventative feature creep request:
Someone is going to want all kinds of maps, logs, graphs, data, cookie crumbs etc. That's cool, but please make and keep the homescreen fast and useful :) Just hide the bells&whistles.

Have already tried clearing data and logging in again, did not fix bugs.

--My thoughts--
Hmm the HVAC to LO bug should be fixed, but I'll look into it.
ROOF - has always worked previously but could be changes to the API, will look into.
SUMMON - summon options will not show if your car does not have the hardware to do summon, or is not ready to perform a summon at the moment. However could be a bug so will look into.

Feature reqs
HVAC - interesting, some people appreciate the fine-tuning so need to find a way to balance both.
ROOF - We have done opening to 4% before, but is probably not used in real life. maybe have set options for popular settings
REMOTE START - We can add a PIN at first, and then add support for fingerprint ID in the future.
SUMMON - We'll try making the cancel target larger, and if it doesn't help, we can add an option for a hold to summon.
ANIMATIONS - Can definitely allow user determined animation times.

Hmm analytics in the background would be great for users, but we're not sure if people would appreciate the app storing that kind of data. Maybe do it in an opt-in kind of way.

Any thoughts on what I've said?
Thanks for the feedback!

I have tested the app on my tablet, and although it works, the UI is not optimized for a tablet screen size (with obvious formatting glitches).

The bigger problem is that it is not working at all for my galaxy S6 phone - it gives me an ERROR message when trying to log on with my Tesla credentials. Does this happen due to the fact that I had already logged on with my Galaxy Tab?

Consider adding quick function widgets, similar to the AutoAlly app. I love the "climate on" widget that Auto Ally has available, leveraging an advantage that Android has over iOS.

Thanks for using Induction!

Sorry, we haven't created a tablet optimized UI yet. We hope to work on it soon, but want to finish everything else first.
Hmmm, you should only get an error if the app in unable to authenticate your credentials. Is there a pop-up message when the ERROR message shows?

Widgets are being worked on right now and should be released soon.

Thanks for using Induction!

Sorry, we haven't created a tablet optimized UI yet. We hope to work on it soon, but want to finish everything else first.
Hmmm, you should only get an error if the app in unable to authenticate your credentials. Is there a pop-up message when the ERROR message shows?

Widgets are being worked on right now and should be released soon.

The login button turns red and says ERROR - no other message. I know that the credentials work fine - just verified on the MyTesla website, not to mention that I can log in fine to your app from my tablet. I was assuming that there is a bug related to having the app on 2 different devices.

The login button turns red and says ERROR - no other message. I know that the credentials work fine - just verified on the MyTesla website, not to mention that I can log in fine to your app from my tablet. I was assuming that there is a bug related to having the app on 2 different devices.

I was just able to log on successfully after uninstalling, then reinstalling the app.

Ok, so that means it's not an encryption issue. Are you logging in with your credentials or using the token method? You're right, it could be because it's on two devices.

Any interest in developing a Tizen version for the gear S2 (and soon S3) smart watches? I understand that the UI would have to be different from Android Wear and that the APIs are probably very different, so it really would be a completely different project. But you seem to be energetic :).

I know, I know ... wishful thinking on my part.

Any interest in developing a Tizen version for the gear S2 (and soon S3) smart watches? I understand that the UI would have to be different from Android Wear and that the APIs are probably very different, so it really would be a completely different project. But you seem to be energetic :).

I know, I know ... wishful thinking on my part.

Sounds like an interesting project and I'd love to work on it, but I need to complete this first.

I am certainly for the use of the fingerprint reader for remote start

It's on the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.