Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Induction vs. Gemini Ride Quality & Winter Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I'm planning to order a Y and can't decide between the wheels. The induction wheels obviously look way cooler but I'm concerned about the hit in range, how they drive in the snow (we drive into the Rockies quite frequently) and how rough are they off road. Does anyone have any experience with this? Curious how the 20s do in the snow and on moderate dirt roads.

Thanks!

I'm getting the Geminis and powder coating them. They look 90% as cool when black. The ride quality and snow performance will be better. Curb rash Induction issue will be avoided. When the factory tires are toast there are many options for even more improved ride comfort and snow performance. Plus, I'll save $2k minus the powder coating.

The OE Continental ProContact RX 19" and OE Goodyear Eagle F1 20" all-season tires both s%&k for winter driving. You will want a set of winter tires or a wheel and tire package.

Range - 19", 20" 21" wheels: Range loss with the different wheel options

Lifted Model Y w/Off Road Tires:
I swapped wheels for 2 cars for years. It's not worth it to me anymore. I'm to old for that sh!t and there are all-weather tires now.

There are better all-season tires available for the 19" wheels and 20" wheels than the tires that come with.

Vredestein QuadTrac Pro All-Season Tires, available for Model Y in 19" and 20"

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLus, available for Model Y in 19"
I plan to get the Quadtrac Pro AS tires when my Goodyear’s are done.

Agree the Goodyear’s aren’t true AS tires and def need to be careful I’m the snow with them

Reactions: Gaige and Grovester
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm thinking since neither tire is very good in the snow and I prefer the look of the 20"s, I'll get the 20"s as a summer set of wheels and then get a winter set of wheels. Maybe I'll see if I can pick up a set of the 19" Tesla wheels used and put snow tires on them. We drive over a pretty significant pass in the winter that is steep and snowy in the winter. If we have two sets of wheels, I'll ideally have the best of both worlds and can swap them out anywhere vs. swapping just the tires like I have been doing which requires a trip to the tire shop.

I'm planning on getting the 19" wheels but don't want to keep the OEM Continental ProContacts since they don't seem to have good cold weather/snow performance. Since I don't have a garage to store an extra set of wheels nor do I have the desire to swap wheels, I was planning on replacing the stock Conti's with a good All-Weather tire like the Quatrac Pros or CrossClimate2.

I was planning on removing the stock tires and selling them but I don't know what the market looks like for just tires. I had planned on keeping the gemini wheels but if demand for pull-off wheel/tire combo is much higher, I may just sell the set and buy aftermarket wheels

I'm planning on getting the 19" wheels but don't want to keep the OEM Continental ProContacts since they don't seem to have good cold weather/snow performance. Since I don't have a garage to store an extra set of wheels nor do I have the desire to swap wheels, I was planning on replacing the stock Conti's with a good All-Weather tire like the Quatrac Pros or CrossClimate2.

I was planning on removing the stock tires and selling them but I don't know what the market looks like for just tires. I had planned on keeping the gemini wheels but if demand for pull-off wheel/tire combo is much higher, I may just sell the set and buy aftermarket wheels
They'll wear out in a year anyway. The Conti's can survive one Seattle winter.

Are the stock tires any good for mild winters like St. Louis? We get snow, but not like a lot of parts of the country. Really don't want my first purchase for a new car to be a set of tires and/or wheels.
Even in a mild winter there are some days when there is snow and ice on the road. If you can stay home, not drive until the roads have been plowed and treated then the OE Continental ProContact RX tires (19" Gemini wheels) and OE Goodyear Eagle F1 (20" Induction wheels) may be marginally acceptable. There is ample evidence from Tesla Model Y owners driving on these OE all season tires to state that your ability to handle, steer and brake will be severely compromised for winter road conditions.

One tire you should consider when you are ready to replace the OE tires is the Vredestein QuaTrac Pro All Season tire.

We definitely get days with snow and ice, and I usually don't have the option to wait until everything is clear. Right now I drive a Subaru Crosstrek that will go through anything St. Louis has to offer, so better tires sound like a must. As a newbie to this, do most people get a second set of rims or switch tires between seasons? Wanted PPF to be my first major accessory, but safety comes first.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Vredesteins.

We definitely get days with snow and ice, and I usually don't have the option to wait until everything is clear. Right now I drive a Subaru Crosstrek that will go through anything St. Louis has to offer, so better tires sound like a must. As a newbie to this, do most people get a second set of rims or switch tires between seasons? Wanted PPF to be my first major accessory, but safety comes first.

Owner's of the Performance Model Y currently have few options as far as all-season or winter tires for the staggered 21" Uberturbine wheels. In this configuration a wheel and tire package may be the only option.

You can purchase a wheel and winter tire package from Tesla (when it is in stock) or from TireRack, Discount Tire too. If you purchase a wheel and tire package then an additional expense is purchasing a set of (4) TPMS sensors for almost $400. If you have a place to store the wheels, tires off season then a wheel and winter tire package may be a good choice

Tesla Mobile Service can swap your wheels on your Tesla vehicle at your home location twice a year at minimum expense (this does not have to be done using Tesla wheels.) Couldn't be simpler. If you use the winter tires from November until April then your other set of tires should last twice as long.

Another option is to swap the tires on the existing wheels, some prefer this approach.

The better all-season tires such as the QuaTrac Pros are a reasonable compromise but if for example you planned on driving in the mountains or ski areas a set of winter tires would be the better choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluesfanatic

imo, if you are fine with the Subaru in the winter you will be fine with your model Y as long as your tires are as good as the Subaru tires. Based on some post here, that might mean replacing the OEM tires with something like the Vredesteins.

Reactions: bluesfanatic
I'm getting the Geminis and powder coating them. They look 90% as cool when black. The ride quality and snow performance will be better. Curb rash Induction issue will be avoided. When the factory tires are toast there are many options for even more improved ride comfort and snow performance. Plus, I'll save $2k minus the powder coating.
Any idea what powder coating Geminis costs?

I started a thread on this. White glove service here in Seattle runs about $250 per wheel. This is drop off car and pick up within 48 hours with everything done, so wheel removal, tire removal, tire remount / rebalance, and wheel install.

If you’re willing to do the work to drop off bare wheels and are patient, it is closer to $500 plus the cost to remount and rebalance. I’m planning to got this route next month when I swap to winter tires.

Jim