Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inductions and Potholes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gladius: For a road car, if the 20s are prone to pothole damage, the 21s would be worse, Simple law of physics. 19s would be more forgiving.

Smooth road/track? 21s.

Last edited:
I live in NJ and have 20" inductions. New Jersey! They don't know what road maintenance is here. Anyway, I haven't had any issues. And my tires are a little scuffed from hitting curbs. I'm sure you could crack any rim if the hole was big enough, but I think they're fine. Never cracked a rim (on any car) nor popped a tire (although now that I've mentioned it, I'm sure I'm going to pop a tire tomorrow!)

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
IMG_2169.jpg

Both drivers side tires blown out. Rims were still good.

Nice! Have you noticed any reduction in range with the bigger tires?
I've had 255/45-20 for over 20k miles now... I've driven from San Diego to Canada a couple times, in both winter and summer conditions... I've done this road trip with the OEM 255/40-20 and the 255/45-20 I have now... Any difference in range was not noticeable. I hit all the same chargers, and arrived with roughly the same state of charge with both tires. Granted, I have a bit of a lead foot, as I averaged 80+ mph for much of the trek.

Reactions: eCharcoal
I live in NJ and have 20" inductions. New Jersey! They don't know what road maintenance is here. Anyway, I haven't had any issues. And my tires are a little scuffed from hitting curbs. I'm sure you could crack any rim if the hole was big enough, but I think they're fine. Never cracked a rim (on any car) nor popped a tire (although now that I've mentioned it, I'm sure I'm going to pop a tire tomorrow!)
I’m in Central NJ, no potholes, just land mines and craters here, I try to swerve around the pothole if I can and avoid dark streets and possible rainy weather. So far my 21s are holding up fine except for a weird Nick in the rear rim. Half the damage can be avoided with a Oder tires and skinny rims.

Nice! Have you noticed any reduction in range with the bigger tires?
I've had 255/45-20 for over 20k miles now... I've driven from San Diego to Canada a couple times, in both winter and summer conditions... I've done this road trip with the OEM 255/40-20 and the 255/45-20 I have now... Any difference in range was not noticeable. I hit all the same chargers, and arrived with roughly the same state of charge with both tires. Granted, I have a bit of a lead foot, as I averaged 80+ mph for much of the trek.
avs007 pretty much sums it up. Yes I’ve seen a slight hit in range but only noticeable if you really look at the numbers everyday. I’ve also done road trips with both set of tires and seen negligible difference in range. Lots more tire choices with the bigger size. Very little loss and a lot of gain IMO.

Reactions: amo2u