TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Industry Attempting To Stop DIY EVSE

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Kevin Sharpe, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

I thought you might like to see just how government and industry conspire to prevent free consumer choice in the UK :mad:

ZCW_CENEX.png

2. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Wow, and I thought we were bad here in the US. Although it is a little weak in that, in the US, they would have threatened to sue you in the very same (first) letter....

3. PV4EV

PV4EV Member

Having canvassed some opinions from EV drivers on the street, outraged by this joke organisation, here's a suggested reply.

No doubt this lot are going to try and stop free Tesla Superchargers too ..

replyv01_zpsda9315a2.jpg [/URL]

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

love this response.

5. PV4EV

PV4EV Member

:biggrin:

6. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

7. Chris1howell

Chris1howell Member

Wow, I have to say I am flattered. You know you are doing something right when you piss people off... not just people but a whole association. So here is an argument from the other side. A charging station is a pretty simple device, it is basically a smart switch. Once the conditions are right the switch turns on, if not it is off... I think the biggest risk to UK EVSE is their fat profits. Overcharging consumers for this pretty simple device was exactly why OpenEVSE was started in the first place...

OpenEVSE was the first major and probably the largest DIY Charging station project at an estimated 1500 OpenEVSE boards built to date. Safety was the primary concern, only a few highly qualified people got to see the early schematics and source code. Four versions of the OpenEVSE were designed and extensively tested by professionals before the sources were released to the public.

The design philosophy was clear; safe, simple and strictly conforming to J1772, NEC and UL standards as they apply Charging Stations. OpenEVSE implements all the safety checks of J1772 even the commonly ignored (by commercial units) diode check and Ventilation Required state. OpenEVSE also performs an extensive self check to ensure it is wired properly checking for a stuck relay and monitoring ground. The most critical components, the power supplies were implemented using safety certified encapsulated modules.

Open Source also provides the benefit of many people checking the work and providing feedback, the schematics and firmware source code has been downloaded thousands of times, the latest wiring diagram has been viewed 2500+ times. And if there is a bug identified users can upload new firmware.

A discount code for the OpenEVSE store has been created in honor of UK EVSE. For the month of April the code UKEVSE will give 10% off. :smile:

8. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#8 malcolm, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    *sigh*

Overnight EV recharging is cheap, easily implemented, electric-cooker-level technology and someone wants to weigh this down with additional irrelevant paperwork and costly complexity.

Congratulations Kevin; you're already exposing and disrupting this approach.

ETA: And thank you for posting. My concern is that the insularity of EV enthusiasts may allow this sort of nonsense to succeed: http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthread.php/12263-Renault-Is-the-New-Leader-in-Free-Electric-Car-Charging?p=41126#post41126

9. Mark Petersen

Mark Petersen Model S EU P71

Dear Robert

Can you please confirem that all your members uses certified electricians to assembled there charging stations
    We have heard rumers that some of them only uses normal workers

Best regards
    A concerned user

10. FVO

FVO Active Member

Beautifull answer!!!!

11. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

Thanks for all the support folks... here's the latest;

Transport Evolved - UK Trade Association Wants to Stop DIY Charging Stations

"The UK Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment association, a trade body that represents suppliers of charging stations and charging station management systems, has written a strongly-worded letter asking a UK charity to cease the promotion of do-it-yourself charging stations."

12. YoungStranger

YoungStranger Member

Its all bluster though isn't it. "Our members" - did they take a vote, have a discussion? "Take it to higher authorities..." that just means they cant get you on anything.... If they could they would have told you If the components meet recognised standards and the installation Electricians are all certified to UK Part P Building Standards, then what is the issue?
    Rather than get on their high horse, they should recognise that you have the same intent and work with the charity to the mutual benefit of all. Same for the dealers in the US... rather than whinge at the inevitability they should adapt and evolve ... its not as if it is a declining market!

13. S-19910

S-19910 Driving Model-S #19910

I've build my own charging station, using the epc-controller by zerocarbonworld. Over 4 months now in use.

works perfect - unlike some of the 'professionel' stations !

Keep it up !

14. seanp

seanp Member

I believe there is long-established precedent under English law for cases such as this; specifically: Letters of Note: Arkell v. Pressdram

So, an appropriate response from Kevin might be the well-known "We refer you to the reply given in the case of Arkell v. Pressdram." :)

15. PV4EV

PV4EV Member

#15 PV4EV, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014

The letter below would appear to be a similar precedent from the USA that Kevin could use to terminate the matter, carefully aligning his text to the left ;)

Arnoldsadvice_zps5cfc8562.jpg

16. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I rather prefer to use the reply from the Cleveland Browns to a lawyer who had threatened to sue in 1974...

ref: Letters of Note: Regarding your stupid complaint

17. FVO

FVO Active Member

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member