Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

inexpensive charger 10kW for $200, 25kW for $600

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many thanks Eberhard... we really need projects like this to reset peoples expectations over the cost of EV hardware....

We need something similar for a 1 and 3 phase "Mennekes" Charging Station.... anyone working on that as far as you're aware? I'd really like to install those at all the ZCW Charging Station sites that were installing in the UK.

Hi Kevin,

if we use one 10kW charger on each phase then we have the 3-phase charger or as well as high current (150A) on 240V single phase.

electronics are quite inexpensive if you can share the engineering work with many. The components are not as expensive and the the software is easy to copy.

I calculate the cost for the Tesla's drivetrain and power pack for less then $10.000. Cost for the glider less then $35.000. leaving a nice profit to cover the development cost.

But like many other products, the selling price is not related with the cost of material and production.

Last edited:
I think this quote is particularly significant:

" We are now testing a 25kW, 150A unit (see pics below). It will have CANbus interface and DC Fast Charge protocol built in so that you can use it with production electric cars, too (e.g., make your Leaf charge in 1 hour from your house electrical service!)... "

I think that means that the LEAFs (or iMiEVs) with DC fast charge port could get a 17-19 kW charge from 70-80A HPC or J1772 EVSEs from a $600 component price device. Now you could mix the CHADEMO DC fast chargers with AC medium-fast chargers on a road trip. The LEAF could therefore handily beat Kevin and David's End-to-End time (assuming they had suitable adapters and were allowed to use the HPC network).

Perhaps more importantly, boxing up this charger and adding the right charge connector, makes a medium power CHADEMO for $600 of components. Add those alongside the HPC network and at a few other locations and the UK is covered for LEAF and iMiev charging and travel at the same speed as current Tesla Roadster roadtrips. EDIT: David Peilow has tweeted this is 40 locations. Might therefore need 2x the cost of the Tesla HPC network to support all iMiEVs and LEAFs for travel at the same rate as the Roadster.

If Eberhard is correct in his assumption that they can be ganged together, then a 50kW CHADEMO working off a 3x63A 3-phase supply is under $2000 in componentry.

Obviously this analysis completely ignores regulatory, certification, insurance, labour and licensing (for the CHADEMO protocol) costs or any profit element. I'd like to hope that we could still be looking at sub $3000 in volume. David Peilow's amazing work developing the UK Tesla HPC network (with a little help from his friends :) ) suggests they could be installed for around $500-1000 each (when intelligence rather than brute force is applied*).

* Brute force: choose the parking spot then dig trenches and run hundreds of meters of cable to it. Intelligent: look where the high power circuits already terminate or originate near a parking spot, then use that one

Last edited: