Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inexpensive Model S cup holder upgrade (pre-April 10 '16)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jump to the bottom if you want the tl;dr, I'm posting in case it helps others since it seems like used Model S purchases are happening regularly. Apologies if these particular cup holders have already been posted, I couldn't find them anywhere. Having recently bought a used 2015 with the yacht floor, I was less than impressed with the two cup holders competing with the arm rests, how close they are to each other, and how few there are (two total). Since this was going to be our new road trip car I started doing all the research to see what options there are, and none of them quite fit my preferences. I was looking for several things:

• Inexpensive
  • More cup holders
  • Better spacing
  • Not losing the yacht floor benefits (wife's purse, takeout, etc.)

Below is what I found. All of these have their benefits and I'm not saying don't buy these. But for me they all had their flaws in terms of accomplishing my goal. Below are my thoughts with my winner at the bottom:

Evannex Center Console Insert
Center Console Insert (CCI) for Tesla Model S
  • Expensive to accomplish the simple goal of more cup holders.
  • Inefficient use of yacht floor space (a lot of hollow useless interior space).
  • Only one more cup holder.
  • Easily removable.

Topfit Model S Center Console Organizer
https://www.amazon.com/topfit-Portable-Silicone-Container-Compatible/dp/B019MQIYOG
  • Inexpensive!
  • Keeps yacht floor relatively low and usable still.
  • Poor fitment near the top that triggers OCD. :p
  • Unsure of stability for larger/tall drinks when cornering.

Model S Integrated Center Console
  • Mucho expensive to accomplish task.
  • Permanently takes away yacht floor.
  • Adds two rear cup holders.
  • Adds two front cup holders via inserts.
I think there may have been one or two more, but they all generally were similar to the above. And then I stumbled across these!

Tesla Cup Holders (winner)
Tesla Cup Holders
  • Inexpensive!
  • Doesn't infringe on yacht floor.
  • Easily removable but very stable.
  • Allows up to six cup holders.
  • Four added holders are spaced from each other.
  • Each addition adds one slightly wider and one slightly deeper holder for different container sizes.
  • Can thread charging cables up through the device slot for quick access to charging rather than hunting for cord.
  • Blocks direct air flow out of back vent, but doesn't restrict it.
I can forgive the last point because with overheat protection and the ability to pre-cool the car, direct vent flow hasn't been an issue. I wouldn't personally use the floor one, we bought the one that attaches to the top of the rear vent area. Some maybe shy away from attaching velcro strips for the rear one, but I don't think they'll cause any damage and they are concealable. After all the research I've done I think that company deserves some kudos for providing a simple solution with great results. I have no complaints so far, let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: jobiggs24
Left off the pictures, sorry I don't have the rear one attached yet.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 430
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 188
Jump to the bottom if you want the tl;dr, I'm posting in case it helps others since it seems like used Model S purchases are happening regularly. Apologies if these particular cup holders have already been posted, I couldn't find them anywhere. Having recently bought a used 2015 with the yacht floor, I was less than impressed with the two cup holders competing with the arm rests, how close they are to each other, and how few there are (two total). Since this was going to be our new road trip car I started doing all the research to see what options there are, and none of them quite fit my preferences. I was looking for several things:

• Inexpensive
  • More cup holders
  • Better spacing
  • Not losing the yacht floor benefits (wife's purse, takeout, etc.)

Below is what I found. All of these have their benefits and I'm not saying don't buy these. But for me they all had their flaws in terms of accomplishing my goal. Below are my thoughts with my winner at the bottom:

Evannex Center Console Insert
Center Console Insert (CCI) for Tesla Model S
  • Expensive to accomplish the simple goal of more cup holders.
  • Inefficient use of yacht floor space (a lot of hollow useless interior space).
  • Only one more cup holder.
  • Easily removable.

Topfit Model S Center Console Organizer
https://www.amazon.com/topfit-Portable-Silicone-Container-Compatible/dp/B019MQIYOG
  • Inexpensive!
  • Keeps yacht floor relatively low and usable still.
  • Poor fitment near the top that triggers OCD. :p
  • Unsure of stability for larger/tall drinks when cornering.

• Mucho expensive to accomplish task.
  • Permanently takes away yacht floor.
  • Adds two rear cup holders.
  • Adds two front cup holders via inserts.
I think there may have been one or two more, but they all generally were similar to the above. And then I stumbled across these!

Tesla Cup Holders (winner)
Tesla Cup Holders
  • Inexpensive!
  • Doesn't infringe on yacht floor.
  • Easily removable but very stable.
  • Allows up to six cup holders.
  • Four added holders are spaced from each other.
  • Each addition adds one slightly wider and one slightly deeper holder for different container sizes.
  • Can thread charging cables up through the device slot for quick access to charging rather than hunting for cord.
  • Blocks direct air flow out of back vent, but doesn't restrict it.
I can forgive the last point because with overheat protection and the ability to pre-cool the car, direct vent flow hasn't been an issue. I wouldn't personally use the floor one, we bought the one that attaches to the top of the rear vent area. Some maybe shy away from attaching velcro strips for the rear one, but I don't think they'll cause any damage and they are concealable. After all the research I've done I think that company deserves some kudos for providing a simple solution with great results. I have no complaints so far, let me know if you have any questions.
Not sure what you meant by the point I highlighted. The Tesla center console inset (CCI) doesn't add two rear cup holders.

Reactions: Natalie 1