Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inexpensive window tint shop in Bay Area (SF)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I feel really bad. I don’t know what I was thinking. I totally forgot that I own two Teslas. I will never shop at Costco, Target, and outlet malls anymore. That’s for commoners. I am going to replace all my wardrobes with Louis Vuitton, Hugo Boss, and Hermès. Need more blings to match my cars. I need to hire a butler very soon. I just cannot do my own laundry anymore. Tomorrow, I am going to take my car to the best window tint shop and replace tints that can 100% block UV, IR, heat, and all kind of radiations. Better yet, I should just trade my Teslas and get Lambo and Ferrari.
Kids college education and retirement plannings are over rated.

hah! Premiertint is just another vendor with the Tesla tax mentality where they think if someone owns a Tesla, that means they're willing to (or SHOULD) splurge and pay whatever. We see this also with charger installers and wireless pads for the model 3 (ahem, nomad). I own a Tesla, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to be smart with my money. Is 4% more TSER in your tint worth the extra $300+? For some maybe, but not for me.

hah! Premiertint is just another vendor with the Tesla tax mentality where they think if someone owns a Tesla, that means they're willing to (or SHOULD) splurge and pay whatever. We see this also with charger installers and wireless pads for the model 3 (ahem, nomad). I own a Tesla, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to be smart with my money. Is 4% more TSER in your tint worth the extra $300+? For some maybe, but not for me.

I agree and would avoid Premier auto tint like the plague with the attitude they displayed on this forum... :cool:

Wow. Thank you taking my posts out of context completely. I love how my quotes were edited, removing my compliments and defending most Tesla owners that were being insulted for spending more money on window tint. I also see that my explanation of the window film technology has evolved, cost of material has increased, and expectations of quality have increased, all causing reputable shops to charge more, have been edited too. I was making it clear that the rates in the industry have risen with reason, not greed. Why would defending the reputation of my industry, not just my own shop, be cause for such negativity. "Avoid like the plague..."??? Because, I gave honest and accurate information? As for the $300 cost for a 4% TSER increase , I don't know what you were referencing.

Ranova, you posted that you spent $550 for your windows to be tinted. My entire response was referencing the posts that were insulting folks that were spending more than $250 and literally calling YOU dumb for doing so. I was literally defending YOU and your better judgement. I don't understand how this got spun around the way it has.

I did say that, "being frugal is one thing". That means if you are getting the exact same product and services then finding a better price is a smart thing to do. The brand AND film types that was being compared was not the same. I was trying toss in some humor about the spinners wheels and such. I'm sorry if you didn't find it funny.

As a vendor in this forum, I think it's important to give accurate information. I also think it would be irresponsible of me to see false information and insults thrown at Tesla owners based on inaccurate opinions posted and choose to say nothing about it. I was attempting to give clarity.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Wow. Thank you taking my posts out of context completely. I love how my quotes were edited, removing my compliments and defending most Tesla owners that were being insulted for spending more money on window tint. I also see that my explanation of the window film technology has evolved, cost of material has increased, and expectations of quality have increased, all causing reputable shops to charge more, have been edited too. I was making it clear that the rates in the industry have risen with reason, not greed. Why would defending the reputation of my industry, not just my own shop, be cause for such negativity. "Avoid like the plague..."??? Because, I gave honest and accurate information? As for the $300 cost for a 4% TSER increase , I don't know what you were referencing.

Ranova, you posted that you spent $550 for your windows to be tinted. My entire response was referencing the posts that were insulting folks that were spending more than $250 and literally calling YOU dumb for doing so. I was literally defending YOU and your better judgement. I don't understand how this got spun around the way it has.

I did say that, "being frugal is one thing". That means if you are getting the exact same product and services then finding a better price is a smart thing to do. The brand AND film types that was being compared was not the same. I was trying toss in some humor about the spinners wheels and such. I'm sorry if you didn't find it funny.

As a vendor in this forum, I think it's important to give accurate information. I also think it would be irresponsible of me to see false information and insults thrown at Tesla owners based on inaccurate opinions posted and choose to say nothing about it. I was attempting to give clarity.

Here is actually what you said... the problem is your attitude and tone toward owners.

You spend $70k+ on a car and want to cheap out on the tint. Maybe you should have bought a cheaper car or just buy the tint and do it yourself if you don't think it isn't that hard. It takes me 2-3 hours to tint a Model 3, from start to finish. For a Honda Accord, a little over an hour. When you remodel your kitchen with all new appliances, lighting, and flooring, would you get new formica countertops?

If your spending limit is $250 for a tint job based on no facts to justify it, there are lots of lower end shops that will be happy to take your money. Good luck. Maybe those shops will sell you some chrome spinner rims and gold plate your emblems too? I am constantly shocked to hear people that get new cars, especially higher end cars, that seek the "cheapest" deal. Why have a nice car and only aim for "decent/good". Being frugal is one thing, but don't try to justify being a cheapskate and create these theories about the window tint films not being worth it. If you can't afford it or can't justify it, then just don't get it done.

Reactions: Fusion
I used Transparent Glass Coatings in Soquel near Santa Cruz. $499 for FormulaOne Pinnacle on side windows and back window/moonroof (one piece) and $150 for front windshield. I did 90% front windshield, 20% front door windows, and 5% rear doors and back window/moonroof.

I think the tone and attitude might have been misinterpreted. If anything, my perspective was defending Tesla owners and in favor of most Tesla owners. The 2nd quote you used is still abbreviated and I didn't use any bold text on my original posts. You're inaccurately "re-stating" my words to scew the tone. It is also cutting out my referencing the actual people calling Tesla owners dumb for spending more than $250 on window tint and that it was all mostly a marketing scam. The people making those claims were inaccurate to say the least. My references toward the spinners, gold plating emblems, and formica counter tops were a tongue-in-cheek nod at the out dated prices, nothing more.

Contrary to how anyone may have perceived my posts. I want to make it very clear, there was never any negative intention or anything other than an attempt to clarify the inaccurate statements that were made about the tint industry, prices or their buyers. My since of humor just didn't translate well for some.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I think the tone and attitude might have been misinterpreted. If anything, my perspective was defending Tesla owners and in favor of most Tesla owners. The 2nd quote you used is still abbreviated and I didn't use any bold text on my original posts. You're inaccurately "re-stating" my words to scew the tone. It is also cutting out my referencing the actual people calling Tesla owners dumb for spending more than $250 on window tint and that it was all mostly a marketing scam. The people making those claims were inaccurate to say the least. My references toward the spinners, gold plating emblems, and formica counter tops were a tongue-in-cheek nod at the out dated prices, nothing more.

Contrary to how anyone may have perceived my posts. I want to make it very clear, there was never any negative intention or anything other than an attempt to clarify the inaccurate statements that were made about the tint industry, prices or their buyers. My since of humor just didn't translate well for some.

Nonsense... those are your words. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Because of the way the back window is shaped on the Model 3, we would strongly advise you to not just seek out the most inexpensive option when tinting your windows, or you risk having a seem showing.

We only use Solar Gard Performance, and bring in a professional crew to our Vehicle Enhancement Studio on Thursdays and Fridays for tinting.

I found a tint place in San Jose that would do all my windows in Suntek ceramic for $450, but I live in Redwood City and they need 4 hours (very reasonable). Hanging out in SJ for 4 hours isn't the end of the world but I got a recommendation from a friend that his mobile tint guy is very good. The guy came to my house and did a great job doing his work meticulously in my driveway.

He did all the windows (only lower half of the rear glass) for $450, including super light tint on driver and passenger windows. Private message me if anyone wants his number.

Transparent Glass Coatings in Soquel did an amazing job on my 3. I went with F1 Pinnacle ceramic and tinted all the windows except the roof and windshield. He also installed a one piece tint in the rear. Fantastic installer btw!

On another note, I’m thinking about going back and having them put tint on the roof. What do you guys feel about tinting the roof?

Reactions: steve in socal
If anyone is in Sacramento area, check out Tintz r Us in Roseville. Tony is a pro and has great pricing. Experienced with Teslas. I got Suntek’s ceramic line for all my windows for $250. He offered 2 piece install for the rear window for an additional $250, guaranteeing that the seam will be invisible as he uses a thin teflon strip to cover it up. Or you can just go half way (defroster line) for an additional $125. Tell him Shahbaz sent you.

Transparent Glass Coatings in Soquel did an amazing job on my 3. I went with F1 Pinnacle ceramic and tinted all the windows except the roof and windshield. He also installed a one piece tint in the rear. Fantastic installer btw!

On another note, I’m thinking about going back and having them put tint on the roof. What do you guys feel about tinting the roof?

These guys are great and are cheaper than most Bay Area shops

I went to Protective Window Films in Vacaville after finding this thread & reading the reviews for my Model 3.
I am so pleased I went there - they did an amazing job and for an amazing price ! BEFORE & ATER - all 5 windows are LIMO tint
Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 1.50.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 1.50.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 1.49.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 1.49.51 PM.png