Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inexpensive winter wheel/tire setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at the Discount Tire website, I see that Drag offers a 19" wheel that is listed for $185/ea that's supposed to fit the MY. The center bore is 73 vs 64.1 stock, so I imagine a hub ring will be needed.
I'm looking for a set of wheels to mount studded snow tires on that will only be used in snow or ice.
If I bought these wheels and had studded tires mounted, without any TPMS, would there be any issues?
Previous vehicles I've owned with TPMS would simply display a yellow light on the dash; easily ignored for the limited time I used the studded tires and wheels.
Do Teslas behave any different?
Buying a set of used OEM Gemini wheels would be preferable to me. But for the limited times I'd use them, I'm struggling to justify the cost.
Here's a photo of the Drag wheel....
PRODUCT_202004250516_wheel_48644_1000_front.png_dt-product-desktop

You will be perfectly fine. The TPMS warning will show on the screen however, it will NOT affect any driving systems at all. I know because my winter wheel and tire set-up don't have the bluetooth TPMS installed and I've been driving for a few weeks now with no issues at all (except for the little warning message). It's not worth the $300 for the special TPMS sensors. I'll wait until there are aftermarket solutions that cost less.

Reactions: Ray_R
I went with the DR-80 19X8.5 (40) with sensors from Tesla. The hub ring is actually 73.1 and easier to find if you take all the parts to them for assembly. I had to retorque the wheels about 4 times before they settled in.

Well…. I ordered 245/45 instead of 215/50 because the 245s were XL rated and the 215s weren’t, even though the 215s had a load rating of 1460lbs. I believe Tesla says to use XL rated tires. I would have preferred a narrower size.
Well…. I ordered 245/45 instead of 215/50 because the 245s were XL rated and the 215s weren’t, even though the 215s had a load rating of 1460lbs. I believe Tesla says to use XL rated tires. I would have preferred a narrower size.
Thanks for the continued info. Following. Please post a pic with install. I appreciate being able to follow your real world research. If I come up with a good option from friends around here, will share here as well.

Reactions: Ray_R
Thanks for the continued info. Following. Please post a pic with install. I appreciate being able to follow your real world research. If I come up with a good option from friends around here, will share here as well.
Thanks. Will do.
I will add that while I feel I was able to meet the “inexpensive” requirement in the thread title for the wheels, I think the tires I chose are on the more expensive side. $800 for the wheels and $1500 for tires? Isn’t it usually the other way around? ;)

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
Helllo....... New member here!
I was very curious to read what other folks are saying about the "Price increase" issue so I chose this section for my first post. You might say "I saw this coming" as I have been "playing" with the configurator for a couple of months (at least), and in retrospect "I should have......" but it is what it is. It does not surprise me to say the least as everything is more expensive compared to last year; but once my order was finished I was shocked (after taxes and fees) to see that the price was very close to what I paid for my new 2018 Q7 (prestige package, even has night vision). To be fair I had a very good discount from Audi and the dealer as this was my 4th Audi, but Geeez, almost $68K is a lot a cheese.
My tentative delivery date is June 2022, and I'm more than comfortable with that, but if these prices continue, I don't see how your average "middle class" family could afford to make the switch to an EV.
I was also seriously considering the Rivian RS1, but I would probably have to wait a couple of years for it. Overall you could say I am a bit cautious, as I hope I can get my money's worth for the vehicle. I will try not to compare it to the Q7 as I know the interior quality and features would eat the MY for breakfast, but dollar for dollar it's something that most of us moving from ICE to EV will see first.
I hope I don't offend anyone and I am more than happy to hear your opinions.

See....rookie mistake..... >,<
There is a price increase thread in the “New Threads” section going right now. I tend to agree with you and don’t love seeing this bidding war, to the extent it is in response increases in production costs getting the parts they need or whatever. But, this thread is about snow tires and wheels. Congrats on your new order! I put mine in the night before last, getting in before the latest $1,000.00 jump in my MYLR.

Looking at the Discount Tire website, I see that Drag offers a 19" wheel that is listed for $185/ea that's supposed to fit the MY. The center bore is 73 vs 64.1 stock, so I imagine a hub ring will be needed.
I'm looking for a set of wheels to mount studded snow tires on that will only be used in snow or ice.
If I bought these wheels and had studded tires mounted, without any TPMS, would there be any issues?
Previous vehicles I've owned with TPMS would simply display a yellow light on the dash; easily ignored for the limited time I used the studded tires and wheels.
Do Teslas behave any different?
Buying a set of used OEM Gemini wheels would be preferable to me. But for the limited times I'd use them, I'm struggling to justify the cost.
Here's a photo of the Drag wheel....
PRODUCT_202004250516_wheel_48644_1000_front.png_dt-product-desktop
You have pics of these installed? Reviews? I am looking at the DR-70 when it’s time to replace my stock tires. Sticking with the stock size tires on 8” wide rim will provide rim protection. And get the black look at $800 instead of $1500 and sacrificing ride quality with inductions.

1656781049537.png