Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infinite Mile Battery Warranty [Now] Being Honored By Tesla [Issue Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OP's P85 is not under an unconditional battery warranty. My Volvo still had limited warranty coverage, it's just that transmission failure and turbo failure were not covered at that point. But my point was that anger is not an indicator of whether something is covered or it's not. I was not trying to compare the two warranty situations, just the human reaction.

But yeah, it probably hurts a lot more to have expensive things crap at after only 80,000 miles rather than 239,000. Oh, wait, the OP's car didn't crap out at 239,000, it still works, albeit with reduced range!

I must have missed the part where the OP had a sudden drop of 50-80 miles of rated range!
I tripped charged to 209 @100%. I was suppose to get 171.2 miles (209x295/360=171.2) miles driven that included interior and exterior factors. The car stopped at 139 with 0% per Tesla.

ha.. ha..

Yeah, some people confuse actual range with rated range. My Performance Model 3 had 307 miles of rated range last time I charged it to 100% and I know very well how to use it all up in only 100 miles. That does not mean I should get a free battery.

Oooops, I can hear the circular arguments already starting to repeat.:oops:

Yeah, some people confuse actual range with rated range. My Performance Model 3 had 307 miles of rated range last time I charged it to 100% and I know very well how to use it all up in only 100 miles. That does not mean I should get a free battery.

209 was the rated range. 171 should have been the actual range given the conditions. Once again the car stopped at 139. Just trying to give people the facts again instead of misleading them with opinions. Once again I am just trying to put the word out about what has happened and what Tesla has done about it. Please don’t mislead people so I have to keep repeating the facts with this circular argument.

Hmart, I was looking at the pictures you posted and it showed that you drove 2 miles then parked before your long trip. How long did the car sit before you went on your trip? What was the SOC when you started the trip? The reason I'm asking because if your pack had truly only used the 50kw it's showing then there is no way that your total range could calculate at 209?

Just out of curiosity, how long have you worked for Tesla and just how many shares in the company do you own again?

Hmart, I was looking at the pictures you posted and it showed that you drove 2 miles then parked before your long trip. How long did the car sit before you went on your trip? What was the SOC when you started the trip? The reason I'm asking because if your pack had truly only used the 50kw it's showing then there is no way that your total range could calculate at 209?
We stopped at McDonald's for a couple of minutes. The kids were hungry. The SOC was 209 at our house. The SOC had been around there for months until last week when I took it in to Tesla. The estimated range now is at 200 on a 100% charge. When I picked it up from Tesla on Friday they said it was 212. 6% loss of battery capacity in just 2 days. I have emailed them again and waiting on a response.

I drove it on Saturday to just less than 20% and tripped charged it to 100%. The next morning is when I got the 200 estimated range.

Check the estimated range right when the car has completed charging to 100% and not the next day. If I understand what you wrote correctly, you had the 200 mile estimated range the following morning after the 100% charging had completed. It’s possible you could be losing estimated range from the vampire drain. Usually l lose 3-4 miles of range a day from vampire drain, but there have been days when I would lose 10-15 miles (ie, Phoenix AZ in summer or DC area in winter) due to vampire drain when it is very cold or very hot outside, even though I have both the precondition setting and over temperature settings turned OFF.

Check the estimated range right when the car has completed charging to 100% and not the next day. If I understand what you wrote correctly, you had the 200 mile estimated range the following morning after the 100% charging had completed. It’s possible you could be losing estimated range from the vampire drain. Usually l lose 3-4 miles of range a day from vampire drain, but there have been days when I would lose 10-15 miles (ie, Phoenix AZ in summer or DC area in winter) due to vampire drain when it is very cold or very hot outside, even though I have both the precondition setting and over temperature settings turned OFF.
I appreciate the input. The temperature was 69 degrees after the overnight charge.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you worked for Tesla and just how many shares in the company do you own again?

What? I've never worked for Tesla. I'm a private stock investor for the last 30 years, mostly retired (no need for more money) I have 200 shares of Tesla just for fun (very minor part of my stock portfolio). My opinion will not affect Tesla share price one iota. You are barking up the wrong tree, this has nothing to do with that.

I've never been a fan of people that I think are working the system for their own gain. I'm sure the OP will disagree that's what's going on here but I have to call it how I see it. I dislike selfishness and greed and that's what I see here because there is no other logical way to read this situation. I wasn't born yesterday. This is a story of someone publically lobbying for something they are not entitled to.

Another happy customer who got a new battery after it degraded down to 45 mile capacity over 113,000 miles in 7 years.

It's not about being stranded on the road or unable to charge.

The owner said it's a failure but actually, it's just that the operating range is now reduced to 45 miles. I little shorter range than a Nissan Leaf's but perfect for those who only need to commute 10 miles one way.

Last edited:
Dude in another thread just started got a refurb B pack (upgrade) from his blown 2012 original A pack, with 113k miles on the odo. No cost, under battery warranty.

So what's the issue here? Is there an issue.. ?

My worry factor is low.

My degradation with 150k km is less than 2% which has zero impact on my usage for the car.. pretty amazed with Tesla on these batteries.

Performance of the car is exactly the same as when I bought it. Not burning any extra oil, ha!

• Funny
Reactions: Seven7
Dude in another thread just started got a refurb B pack (upgrade) from his blown 2012 original A pack, with 113k miles on the odo. No cost, under battery warranty.

So what's the issue here? Is there an issue.. ?

My worry factor is low.

My degradation with 150k km is less than 2% which has zero impact on my usage for the car.. pretty amazed with Tesla on these batteries.

Yeah, they are the best batteries in the EV industry. The dude that had the blown pack, well, Tesla probably saw that his pack was bad. They are not shy about honoring their warranty, it's just that degraded packs are not covered under warranty. If they were, there would be no incentive to treat the battery well.

Reactions: Guy V
What? I've never worked for Tesla. I'm a private stock investor for the last 30 years, mostly retired (no need for more money) I have 200 shares of Tesla just for fun (very minor part of my stock portfolio). My opinion will not affect Tesla share price one iota. You are barking up the wrong tree, this has nothing to do with that.

I've never been a fan of people that I think are working the system for their own gain. I'm sure the OP will disagree that's what's going on here but I have to call it how I see it. I dislike selfishness and greed and that's what I see here because there is no other logical way to read this situation. I wasn't born yesterday. This is a story of someone publically lobbying for something they are not entitled to.
I was only joking, I do understand that does not always come across in text, I probably should have added a "Haha" at the end!