Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infinite Mile Battery Warranty [Now] Being Honored By Tesla [Issue Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 85 Model S has 200k miles. I get 240 miles of range on a full charge. 139 miles on a full charge is not degradation, there is a defect for sure. There are many high mileage cars and none of them has such a high degradation. I don't understand why Tesla is so reluctant in your case. A simple look with the diagnostic tool would definitely show the issue. Have they done that?
They have diagnosed it and only feel accountable for the car saying that I had 16 miles of range left when the battery went dead/left us stranded on the side of the road. They still won't admit to any battery failure even though the range had dramatically decreased during this trip.

• Informative
Reactions: Spacey73
My 2014 85 Model S has 200k miles. I get 240 miles of range on a full charge. 139 miles on a full charge is not degradation, there is a defect for sure. There are many high mileage cars and none of them has such a high degradation. I don't understand why Tesla is so reluctant in your case. A simple look with the diagnostic tool would definitely show the issue. Have they done that?

Do you have the total capacity (kWh) from your car when it was new and currently? Just curious as you're one of the few folks with a higher mileage Model S and access to the CAN bus data.

My issue is Tesla wont replace the battery even if you volunteer to pay for the replacement. Tesla basically locks you in. As cars get older Tesla should have options as the bottom and top range becomes unusable.
They did come back and tell me they would give a 15% discount as a courtesy on the 25000 dollar battery. So you may want to try and speak with someone else. I want people to know about what is really going on with these higher mileage batteries and what Tesla is saying about how it they aren't going to cover it.

They did come back and tell me they would give a 15% discount as a courtesy on the 25000 dollar battery. So you may want to try and speak with someone else. I want people to know about what is really going on with these higher mileage batteries and what Tesla is saying about how it they aren't going to cover it.

What is your displayed range at a 100% charge? I'd be really interested to see what your actual total capacity is of the battery (only way is pulling it from the CAN bus).

Do you have the total capacity (kWh) from your car when it was new and currently? Just curious as you're one of the few folks with a higher mileage Model S and access to the CAN bus data.
I remember getting 260 miles of capacity on a trip charge when i bought it. I get 209 on a trip charge now. The problem is before that i would get about 230-240 miles of actual real time driving but now i am going from 209 to 139 of actual driving with the range indicator saying that i still have 16 miles left.

Ah okay. So you were seeing 260 miles displayed when new and now seeing 209 miles displayed. If you don't mind sharing, what is your current mileage?

Yeah, the car powering down with 16 miles of range is definitely not normal. I'm sure you've seen the posts but it's happened to a handful of folks. It appears the BMS estimation of range can become out of sync with the actual battery capacity. Driving to a low state of charge (<10%) and charging up to 100% a few times is supposed to help "re-sync" the BMS. That obviously won't fix your main issue though of a significant reduction in actual driving range.

Like David99 offered, if you know someone in your local area with an OBD2 adapter and bluetooth dongle (or just order it yourself but it will run about $60 total), you can get detailed data of your battery packs using something like TM-Spy or Scan my Tesla. I'd be really curious to see what your actual total capacity is in kWh, or if you have some cells that are way out of balance. I'd imagine if there was, Tesla would replace the battery pack without question so it's strange why they're not. The only thing I could suspect is everything looks "normal" on their end but there's just a fairly significant amount of battery degradation.

I started with 209 miles. I was driving the speed limit of 75 mph on the highway. No heat was on and yes it wasn't a flat service the distance of the trip. I have the 21 inch wheels/tires. So as you can see it was much more than 10% with the change and that is why I thought for sure they would be honoring the warranty. People need to be aware of what is going on. It effects all of us who own as well as new buyers. Thanks for your input.

This article suggest it's a ~11.8% reduction in range with the 21" wheels. That's ~24 miles, so 209 - 24 is putting the estimated range now around 185 miles. Some folks report ~20-25% reduction in range traveling at 75 mph versus 65 mph, which is about 37 miles putting the total range now around 148 miles. I'm not actually sure how accurate a 20-25% range hit is, but there's quite a few posts about a fairly big jump in energy consumption above 65 mph. Some other factors are outside temperature, wind and elevation, all of which can have a significant impact on range. Not trying to defend Tesla in any way, just trying to make sense of the big discrepancy from what you're seeing displayed for max range and actual usable range.

In general, what have your charging "habits" (or whatever you want to call it) been like? What do you normally charge to? Do you generally charge it right when you get home (i.e. keep it plugged in) or wait? Is the car typically in a hot climate?

Edit: Here's some more data on the range difference at various speeds. It does appear to be around 22% when comparing 60 to 75 mph and 16% when comparing 65 to 75 mph. I'm not exactly sure what the displayed range is based off of, but I thought it was around 65 mph.

Last edited:
So they will replace your battery for $21,250? What size would the replacement pack be? 85, 90, or 100?

And from looking at their warranty page it would only come with a 4 years/50,000 miles warranty. (Which is a little disappointing.)
The barranty is warrantied for 8 years and infinite miles according to tesla. I didn't ask about the size of replacement pack because I have decided to take other actions towards Tesla. A warranty should cover the total cost of replacing. I have never had to pay to replace anything under warranty included the 3 power trains that have gone out on this same Tesla.

The barranty is warrantied for 8 years and infinite miles according to tesla. I didn't ask about the size of replacement pack because I have decided to take other actions towards Tesla. A warranty should cover the total cost of replacing. I have never had to pay to replace anything under warranty included the 3 power trains that have gone out on this same Tesla.

But the battery hasn't "failed" as stated under the warranty. So the warranty wouldn't be covering any of the replacement cost.

This article suggest it's a ~11.8% reduction in range with the 21" wheels. That's ~24 miles, so 209 - 24 is putting the estimated range now around 185 miles. Some folks report ~20-25% reduction in range traveling at 75 mph versus 65 mph, which is about 37 miles putting the total range now around 148 miles. I'm not actually sure how accurate a 20-25% range hit is, but there's quite a few posts about a fairly big jump in energy consumption above 65 mph. Some other factors are outside temperature, wind and elevation. Not trying to defend Tesla in any way, just trying to make sense of the big discrepancy from what you're seeing displayed for max range and actual usable range.

In general, what have your charging "habits" (or whatever you want to call it) been like? What do you normally charge to? Do you generally charge it right when you get home (i.e. keep it plugged in) or wait?
I normally get home around 5 and begin charging around 8 because I have free nights of electricity beginning at 8. I only charge to 85-90% as adviced by Tesla. This is what Tesla actually suggest you do to give the battery some recovery time. I only SC when it is necessary for me to have enough miles to get home or going on road trips. The bottom line is from my experience is that the more miles the battery has on it the less accurate the range indicator and actual battery capacity is. I use to be able to go roundtrip with the same battery and now I can't even make it to the same destination anymore without the battery failing.

What is truely frustrating is that I go to other sights such as Tesloop and they had the same problems and Tesla replaced the batteries(ie range indicator, 21% degradation). Tesloop even admitted to supercharging their vehicles to 100% all the time but they still replaced the battery. I guess it was good publicity for Tesla. They also replaced the battery for Tesloop at only 194,000. Mine has 239,000 with the same problems. I brought all of this up to the Tesla service center and got the response of each situation is different. If Tesla doesn't make this right I will continue to expose what is really going on. I understand not everyone is going to put as many miles as I have but Tesla should honor their word if they want to succeed in the future.

But the battery hasn't "failed" as stated under the warranty. So the warranty wouldn't be covering any of the replacement cost.
Please explain to everyone how the battery hasn't "failed" when you take a trip with SOC at 209 and the car stops at 139 with the range indicator stating that you have 16 miles of range left. You can also check the Tesloop site where Tesla has replaced the battery for failure for those two reasons.

Ah okay. So you were seeing 260 miles displayed when new and now seeing 209 miles displayed. If you don't mind sharing, what is your current mileage?

Yeah, the car powering down with 16 miles of range is definitely not normal. I'm sure you've seen the posts but it's happened to a handful of folks. It appears the BMS estimation of range can become out of sync with the actual battery capacity. Driving to a low state of charge (<10%) and charging up to 100% a few times is supposed to help "re-sync" the BMS. That obviously won't fix your main issue though of a significant reduction in actual driving range.

Like David99 offered, if you know someone in your local area with an OBD2 adapter and bluetooth dongle (or just order it yourself but it will run about $60 total), you can get detailed data of your battery packs using something like TM-Spy or Scan my Tesla. I'd be really curious to see what your actual total capacity is in kWh, or if you have some cells that are way out of balance. I'd imagine if there was, Tesla would replace the battery pack without question so it's strange why they're not. The only thing I could suspect is everything looks "normal" on their end but there's just a fairly significant amount of battery degradation.
I have 239,000 miles on my car. I have read other posts about the range becoming out of sync but my frustration is that they stated that Tesla replaced their batteries. Tesla has always been good to us in the past. I didn't have any problems with them honoring the power train warranty besides being broke down on the side of the road and getting a tow truck driver that knows how to load a Tesla correctly. I hope you never have that problem. I just want people to know what is going on and how they have been treating us during this current situation.

• Informative
Reactions: am_dmd and 2012MS85
I bet you won't be saying that if you ever get stranded on the side of the highway with the range indicator saying you have 16 miles of range left.

Yes, I am pretty sure that using all caps does not generate any forward momentum on the car in such situation, that is, unless the keyboard you hammer is a part of the car, and you stand on ground.

However, annoying people makes some just briefly look at the rant, then comment on the annoyance, efficiently wasting both parties time.

I bet you won't be saying that if you ever get stranded on the side of the highway with the range indicator saying you have 16 miles of range left.

I don’t run my ICE cars down to 16 miles of range either. Not worth the risk. Nobody would demand a new gas tank from Toyota if their Camry stopped running when the trip computer said 16 miles left.