Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infinite Mile Battery Warranty [Now] Being Honored By Tesla [Issue Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That kind of design is going to be a serious concern for EV adoption. Battery repairs and refurbishments should be cheap and a cottage industry

Although one can't help but appreciate your thought here, I think what may be the case is, the number of errors/faults will be so small that the occasional failures will simply become anomalies. To say it another way the probability of failure will be so low that people will accept that in exchange for the cheap initial purchase price that automated production makes possible. Even though that very automated production makes difficult any repair scenarios.

Reactions: Electroman
Although one can't help but appreciate your thought here, I think what may be the case is, the number of errors/faults will be so small that the occasional failures will simply become anomalies. To say it another way the probability of failure will be so low that people will accept that in exchange for the cheap initial purchase price that automated production makes possible. Even though that very automated production makes difficult any repair scenarios.
It doesn't work like that. No matter how small the number of "anomalies", it's a disaster for the one it happens to. Besides if the reliability WERE so astronomically high, the manufacturer should just go ahead and assume a longer warranty... After all it shouldn't cost them much.

Reactions: goodbadboys9
It doesn't work like that. No matter how small the number of "anomalies", it's a disaster for the one it happens to. Besides if the reliability WERE so astronomically high, the manufacturer should just go ahead and assume a longer warranty... After all it shouldn't cost them much.

True, for that single user it is always an issue. That's true of any issue in anything. However, everyone would be aware of this as a possibility. And, long warranties? Really, unless there's Market pressure to do so isn't going to happen. There's a reason Tesla drop the infinite mile warranty. And I don't think it's because they were having to do that many more battery refurbishment and replacements. It's more because of the perceived quality of Tesla batteries rose sufficiently to make the infinite mile warranty unnecessary.

Reactions: MP3Mike and ucmndd
I think that's EXACTLY why they dropped it, they anticipated unacceptable costs.

No doubt there would be some cost, and Elon was in the middle of a belt tightening exercise. Obviously someone suggested it to get kudos from the man. can't really blame them, maybe I would have done the same thing. I'm a bit too much of a fan of his.

But, the great battery failure event simply hasn't materialized. there are a number of cars now over 8 years and the number that are needing new batteries is not significant. In fact, even if all of them did that wouldn't be that huge of an expense for Tesla. there weren't that many cars built with the infinite mile warranty. Maybe a few hundred thousand at most. Clearly nowhere near all of them will need a battery within the 8-year warranty period. I'm at 6 years and 230,000 and my battery is still going fine.

Reactions: ucmndd and MP3Mike
I think that's EXACTLY why they dropped it, they anticipated unacceptable costs.
I think the bottom line difference to Tesla between 8 years/unlimited and 8 years/150k is a rounding error based on observed failure rate thus far.

The vast, overwhelming majority of cars aren’t driven more than 150k miles in 8 years in any case.

I think the bottom line difference to Tesla between 8 years/unlimited and 8 years/150k is a rounding error based on observed failure rate thus far.

The vast, overwhelming majority of cars aren’t driven more than 150k miles in 8 years in any case.

exactly on both points. And those that go over 150k Miles were probably driven commercially with a few exceptions

exactly on both points. And those that go over 150k Miles were probably driven commercially with a few exceptions
I’m one of those exceptions. And while I do admit the 8 year unlimited warranty was a big factor in making me comfortable with buying an EV, the concept is proven at this point and I’d be comfortable buying another without it.

R3dstang66, I'm interested to know if you have an update. Will Tesla fix your battery for a cost (as they can do for free when the vehicle is in-warranty) or did you go with Gruber Motors instead? What was the cost of either option?

I am sorry this happened to you, but there are definitely much less costly avenues as opposed to having a brand new battery.

My S, 8 years 215k battery finally went 3 days after warranty. Service center say escalated to corporate and response out of warranty.
My cost for new battery $22,280.25. As an early adopter, I am at a loss of Tesla customer service. Tesla has let me down. I brought the car in for service 3 months for battery issues, and corporate indicated everything was working normally. Very disappointing.
I see in other posts that you had already lots of issues.
Is Tesla really being intransigent about taking it in warranty?
Also, can you post the reference of the replacement battery they quoted as replacement? Seems very expensive.
I’d have second thoughts if it was a 100, but for a 85 with old SuC speed it’s not tempting.