Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infinite Mile Battery Warranty [Now] Being Honored By Tesla [Issue Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i asked Tesla to confirm if any software updates reduced the capacity, and, like I thought, they would not confirm it.

From what I read Tesla reduced the charging capacity because of the batteries that caught fire. If this is accurate, there’s a defect in the battery and should be replaced under warranty.

That's what the reasonable people have been saying all along.

No the graph does no go to zero. It goes from 250 miles to 235 miles.
Screenshot_20191028-230912.png
2012 model s 85 no Tech, no d, no signature
2019.32.2.1 had a real bad effect on my range jusand itt continues to get worse. I've lost 10 miles since May and 6 of those 10 miles were between
today and September 14th!

Reactions: What Gas
Posting here to start unless I get redirected to another post.

my 8/16 x P90DL at 90% shows an estimated range of 165. I think that’s accurate based on my commute to work and back (~50 miles) knocks off about 25-30%

how do I approach the service center with my inquiry given its about a 25-30% capacity loss on my rough numbers (presume 185 at 100% when 250 was rated).

I’ve already got a laundry list of repairs they are honoring (windshield, door latch, seals) since I just bought from Tesla and previous owner never serviced.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18

my 8/16 x P90DL at 90% shows an estimated range of 165. I think that’s accurate based on my commute to work and back (~50 miles) knocks off about 25-30%

how do I approach the service center with my inquiry given its about a 25-30% capacity loss on my rough numbers (presume 185 at 100% when 250 was rated).

I’ve already got a laundry list of repairs they are honoring (windshield, door latch, seals) since I just bought from Tesla and previous owner never serviced.
Have you taken SOC lower than 60ish (90 -30)? The issue may be the soc measurement instead of the pack. Easiest thing to start with is charging to 100% before your next commute. Next would be draining it lower, but that could be complicated if the pack is degraded (might cut out with little warning).

Still learning acronyms- what’s SOC?
I should have added I’m in Range Mode and only have 25k on the car.

I’ve never charged to 100% (unknown if previous owner) and lowest charge was 19% when I filled up with super charging
Sorry, SOC is State of Charge. If you only move in a small range, the estimation of where the pack is between full and empty can get inaccurate. Charging fully, discharging, then charging again can help correct the estimation. Won't help if the pack does have an issue though.

I started with 209 miles. I was driving the speed limit of 75 mph on the highway. No heat was on and yes it wasn't a flat service the distance of the trip. I have the 21 inch wheels/tires. So as you can see it was much more than 10% with the change and that is why I thought for sure they would be honoring the warranty. People need to be aware of what is going on. It effects all of us who own as well as new buyers. Thanks for your input.

Rather than worrying with the range which is hard to compare to a reference since there are so many factors that affect range, get an estimate of the capacity of the battery. Next time you run the car down to a low percentage, note the starting percentage and the kWh charged when you stop charging. Then do some simple math to get your present max capacity 100 * kWh charged / (kWh size * (ending percentage - start percentage)). This number will tell you how many kWh capacity your battery has remaining. This is the number you can use to make your argument without having to worry about the heater being on or any other impact on mileage. Because some of these numbers are rounded to whole numbers there can be 1% or 2% error in the result. My last measurement gave me 94% capacity remaining after 26,000 miles. I'm watching it in case it starts to drop precipitately. Having proof is another matter. Unless I photograph the display every time I charge and maintain a history how would I do that? Owning a Tesla is far too much work.

Still learning acronyms- what’s SOC?
I should have added I’m in Range Mode and only have 25k on the car.

I’ve never charged to 100% (unknown if previous owner) and lowest charge was 19% when I filled up with super charging

People use acronyms because they are lazy. PUABTAL. SOC is state of charge of the battery. That's one you will see a lot. SC can mean Service Center, SuperCharger or South Carolina. Context may help in some cases. I say ask when you don't know, maybe people will get tired of being lazy.... no, I guess not.

Another one is NoA, Navigate on Autopilot. That one does save significant typing in a conversation.

OUCH.

165/0.9 = 183 miles of range?!? That's a really bad amount of degradation.

I am having the same problem and getting the same canned responses from Tesla...it’s extremely frustrating. However mine is not as bad as yours. I have 64,000 miles and have a 9% degradation loss. The main problem I am having is that 5% degradation occurred within the past 3-4 months ago. They told me the same story. I am so frustrated with Tesla’s lake of concern that I don’t enjoy driving the car anymore.

Have you mad any progress since you’ve posted this?
Sorry for the delayed response, but no I have not.

I posted awhile back that when I picked up my new Model S on 30 Jan 2020, I was told that my battery warrant was now 8yrs/150k miles.....here is the original warranty:

Model S and Model X - 8 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity* over the warranty period. Any Model S or Model X purchased prior to the effective date specified on the cover page of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty is subject to the applicable Battery and Drive Unit Warranty effective as of the date of purchase.

I called Tesla and then called the delivery center and asked why.......I had purchased the car on 22 Oct 2019 with my downpayment and only delivery because Tesla could not provide Vin number prior to my trip to Ecuador on 28 Dev 19..... several folks here said that the purchased date will be the date I took delivery (30 Jan 20)......and since the warranty was effected on 29 Jan 2020, the day before I got it, I would be under the new warranty.....

Well , I am please to tell you, my delivery agent just sent me a text saying that Tesla informed him I am in fact under the “old” warranty, 8yr/unlimited miles for motors and battery and that my account has been annotated accordingly....WOW!.....I can’t believe it.....

In addition, the new 2020 Model S cars were supposed to come with wireless charging as outlined on page 21 of the owners manual....I was also informed that when they get the parts, I will be getting the wireless charging pod for the console....this was to go into effect in Jan 20 and since my car has a birthday of 17 Jan 20 and delivery date of 30 Jan, I am entitled to this Q1 charging component...

So, I am extremely happy with the support I am getting fro the Costa Mens service center and the delivery agents there....I am now a happy camper.....

I posted awhile back that when I picked up my new Model S on 30 Jan 2020, I was told that my battery warrant was now 8yrs/150k miles.....here is the original warranty:

Model S and Model X - 8 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity* over the warranty period. Any Model S or Model X purchased prior to the effective date specified on the cover page of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty is subject to the applicable Battery and Drive Unit Warranty effective as of the date of purchase.

I called Tesla and then called the delivery center and asked why.......I had purchased the car on 22 Oct 2019 with my downpayment and only delivery because Tesla could not provide Vin number prior to my trip to Ecuador on 28 Dev 19..... several folks here said that the purchased date will be the date I took delivery (30 Jan 20)......and since the warranty was effected on 29 Jan 2020, the day before I got it, I would be under the new warranty.....

Well , I am please to tell you, my delivery agent just sent me a text saying that Tesla informed him I am in fact under the “old” warranty, 8yr/unlimited miles for motors and battery and that my account has been annotated accordingly....WOW!.....I can’t believe it.....

In addition, the new 2020 Model S cars were supposed to come with wireless charging as outlined on page 21 of the owners manual....I was also informed that when they get the parts, I will be getting the wireless charging pod for the console....this was to go into effect in Jan 20 and since my car has a birthday of 17 Jan 20 and delivery date of 30 Jan, I am entitled to this Q1 charging component...

So, I am extremely happy with the support I am getting fro the Costa Mens service center and the delivery agents there....I am now a happy camper.....
Unlimited miles for a battery DEFECT. Degradation is NOT covered. Battery will be replaced only if there is a fault identified, which your car will alert you to. No battery defect alerted to you by the car, no battery replacement. This was explained to me explicitly by a Tesla service rep. last week.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Unlimited miles for a battery DEFECT. Degradation is NOT covered. Battery will be replaced only if there is a fault identified, which your car will alert you to. No battery defect alerted to you by the car, no battery replacement. This was explained to me explicitly by a Tesla service rep. last week.

well that's easy to avoid warranty replacements.

if (batteryDefect) {
// reportErrorToUser(batteryDefect);
}

or

if (batteryState == defect) {
batteryState = ok;
}
reportBatteryState(batteryState)

Reactions: buckets0fun
They did come back and tell me they would give a 15% discount as a courtesy on the 25000 dollar battery. So you may want to try and speak with someone else. I want people to know about what is really going on with these higher mileage batteries and what Tesla is saying about how it they aren't going to cover it.

My S, 8 years 215k battery finally went 3 days after warranty. Service center say escalated to corporate and response out of warranty.
My cost for new battery $22,280.25. As an early adopter, I am at a loss of Tesla customer service. Tesla has let me down. I brought the car in for service 3 months for battery issues, and corporate indicated everything was working normally. Very disappointing.

My S, 8 years 215k battery finally went 3 days after warranty. Service center say escalated to corporate and response out of warranty.
My cost for new battery $22,280.25. As an early adopter, I am at a loss of Tesla customer service. Tesla has let me down. I brought the car in for service 3 months for battery issues, and corporate indicated everything was working normally. Very disappointing.

If you don't get any support for what may become an excessively expensive out-of-warranty repair, you should certainly consider the options at Gruber Motors in nearby Phoenix. (The drive is short, and shipping your car, if needed, won't cost much, likely ~$500 or so each way.) This should be far more cost-effective:

Another option is to simply buy a used battery from a totalled Tesla--not sure what those are going for.

Also see if these guys have any options:

057 Technology

If you don't get any support for what may become an excessively expensive out-of-warranty repair, you should certainly consider the options at Gruber Motors in nearby Phoenix. (The drive is short, and shipping your car, if needed, won't cost much, likely ~$500 or so each way.) This should be far more cost-effective:

Another option is to simply buy a used battery from a totalled Tesla--not sure what those are going for.

Also see if these guys have any options:

057 Technology

Thanks for the info TSLA Pilot. I'll look into those options if no resolution is met. It is an expensive car and i accepted that this car would not last forver, but i gave it a good try. lol