Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inflated values

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if there is a way to pin this down - but thought I’d get some opinions.

If I buy a 2017 S100D for $69k - is that going to totally burn me after this craziness passes? I guess what I’m saying - should this car really be $55 or $60k?

Hard to get a handle on just how inflated things are for Teslas right now.

I mean, I have a MS LR on order for $83,290. I am on the fence of canceling it since it's all the way out in March now (was Jan).

I wish I could sell it / transfer it to someone - I'd be looking for a win/win situation - something like $10,000 to me; so the car ends up being significantly cheaper for the buyer; and gives me a bit of return for having the order in.

But I don't think that's really possible given Sales Tax situations.

Yeah prices for everything are insane right now.

Even an ICE beater that was 1k 2 years ago would sell for 4-5 now.

I would definitely wait it out if you can.

Unless this inflation (transitory, lol) keeps going on prices should come down soon enough.

I did a thing...not sure how accurate this is, but I subscribed to Level 4 access on EV-CPO and exported historical sales from 2019 pre-pandemic. I looked at 2015 cars (4 years old at the time) to see how things shake out.

Looks like on average, a 4 year old Tesla today is about $20k more than a 4 year old Telsa was in 2019. That's a lot of inflation.

I guess they weren't kidding when they said it was a bad time to buy a car.

Attachments

• EV-CPO.com - Global Tesla Inventory Search -- NewUsedCPO (3).pdf
    449.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
If you don't absolutely need a car right now, I would suggest holding off unless perhaps you are selling/trading a car also at an "inflated" price to make up for some of the higher price of the replacement car.

A year ago, Tesla was selling BRAND NEW 2021 MS LR+ for $70,620. Today, they are asking nearly that much for comparable USED FOUR YEAR OLD cars.

The overall car market remains a bit crazy.

Used car prices across the board are abnormally high. My own personal opinion is that it may actually take a couple years or so before things settle down to more historical levels. If you've followed any of the details around supply issues, particularly chips, in the transportation sector there are those suggesting the supply is not going to stablize and catch up to demand till end of 2022 at best.

Even if new car production gets back to normal around that time I expect that used car stocks will remain tight. This is due to have missed effectively a whole 2-3 cycle of new car purchases, so may still potentially be a shortage in late model used cars that persists for a couple years even after new cars sales come back to life.

So if you willing to wait on delivery of a new car at the moment, it could potentially be a good time to buy new, sell your old one. However if you're really in need of buying a used one, you may be on the short end of the stick for a few years. This situation hasn't motivated me to sell my mid 2016 MS90D with pano roof and free unlimited supercharging to get a new MS LR ... yet ... but I have to admit it has caused me to start pondering the idea.

Just my personal opinion.

Reactions: nicedrum
I do have a car to sell, but 20% or 30% inflation on my car doesn’t equal as much of a raw increase. I guess I’d have to come to terms with the situation.

It’s painful to think a year ago I could have a brand new model S for 70k.

Not sure if there is a way to pin this down - but thought I’d get some opinions.

If I buy a 2017 S100D for $69k - is that going to totally burn me after this craziness passes? I guess what I’m saying - should this car really be $55 or $60k?

Hard to get a handle on just how inflated things are for Teslas right now.

The only unknown really is how inflation will affect car prices.

The current prices could be the new normal with wage as well as cost increases coupled with shortage of batteries.