Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inflation Reduction Act Tax Incentives for Energy (not related to PV+ESS and EVs)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was not able to attend the webinar live, but I did register and they did helpfully offer download links for the slides. Most of Part 1, 2, 3 more relevant to builders of affordable and multi-family housing, but a small slice of Part 3 was about HEEHRA that was fairly agnostic to single-family homeowners, though mixed in with another IRA program called HOMES (that is efficiency perfomance-based). But basically for California for HEEHRA/HOMES:
-California eligible for $290 million for HEEHRA, out of the total federal money allocated - this goes to not just heat pumps but the other improvements like insulation (however, the largest part of individual rebate is $8000 max for heat pump, vs $6000 for all else.
-California is one of the first states to submit for to feds for HOMES/HEEHRA (slide suggests only other states are Hawaii, New Mexico and New York so far)
-Once fed provides feedback, California CEC holds public workshop in Mar-Apr 2024 timeframe for HEEHRA
-HEEHRA program goes into effect later in 2024 (another slide suggests late 2024)
-no details on California's proposal to fed in slides, nor on CEC website - but slides suggest California often goes beyond federal requirements - e.g. could demand more stringent efficiency/perf requirements than current IRA requirements for existing 25C $2K tax credit program).

If California goes beyond the federal efficiency requirements, that's noble, but I see another level of headache for installers, homeowners, and tax preparers to figure out what equipment qualifies. Because again the AHRI database lists some raw perf specs by equipment, but there would be no Energy Star+ or CEE Tier 1+ certification to make a simple checkmark....

Anyways, finding it may be hard to retrofit an inverter heat pump that is even eligible for the 25C $2K tax credit, let alone the local/regional rebates or any stretch goals CA may implement for HEEHRA. Will summarize and share later....

I want @wwu123 to somehow get all $290 million for CA lol.