Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inflationary Price Increase coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Xmas in July (with premium interior)
Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 11.29.32 AM.png

If there wasn't such a supply crunch and dealers would actually sell at MSRP, I can't imagine myself getting a Model Y at this price. ID4, Mach E, Ioniq 5, EV6. All of them would be better picks for the price.

Plenty of car dealerships in Northern California selling all of those at MSRP.

One year ago I was feeling angst that I was about to spend $40,990 for a blue MYSR because I was worried there was going to be a revived tax credit and I'd miss out. Glad I didn't wait. Least expensive Model Y is now $23,000 more (of course that's a LR AWD, but even when that was a $10,000 difference it wasn't worth it to me).

Shopping for a EV6 (sister car to Ioniq5) for the wife as we speak. I refuse to pay more than MSRP + reasonable dealer fee ($500-ish). She wants this car specifically because it has opening sunroof. Pretty rare occurrence on EVs. From all the reviews the Ioniq5/EV6 are legit. That said I would not pay a $10K markup on these cars. Hell not even a $5K markup. I just don't think a $60K Hyundai product is a smart buy.. regardless of how well its reviewed.

I'm really counting my blessings these days. Order a SR+ last year in september for 39k after a buddy convinced me that standard range was all I needed. I figured with the coming federal rebate (hopefully still coming), that I was out of pocket no more than 30K after state and local rebates as well. It made sense becuase I had just installed a 8kw solar panel system and generating way too much surplus energy (up to 1mwh a month). Got the car in February with new amd chip and new li-on battery as well as 272 mile LFP battery tech (I prefer the charging to 100% and safety). How with gas at 6 dollars a gallon and a 70 mile round trip commute 2-3 times a week, I feel extremely lucky. Lucked out again since I pre-ordered a Model Y LR in January. Delivery in August, so hopefully will have 4680 and structural battery as well as AMD ryzen and dual pane rear windows.

Well said - I bought my first Model 3 last year for $39,990 because I didn't want to "guess" what the price I'd actually pay for via normal dealer channels. Hyundai has a better buyer's program than Kia where I can, online, make a hyundai Ioniq5 purchase (MSRP + $600 tint) via select dealers here in Dallas. Kia, unfortunately, does not have a similar "buyer assurance" program + Kia dealers, in my experience, are usually way less ethical.

The Ford Mach-E is a great vehicle, just like the Kia EV-6 is a wonderful EV alternative....but for both, the dealer experience sours the ownership.

To the price raises at Tesla, I'd anticipate every manufacturer will be evaluating a "dynamic" pricing model because Tesla can change prices whenever, but traditional auto manufacturers have to abide by the already-set-2022-MSRP which cannot account for big events like supply chain shortage of the Russia-Ukraine event. Other brands will surely do so shortly. Curious how this will impact used Tesla prices & values.
Really? I didn't know that! Buyer assurance needs to become a thing like yesterday.

I do know the markup on the KIA appears to be much more common than the Ioniq5, this explains why. The MME is my #1 choice for a non-Tesla EV.. as it seems Ford is REALLY trying here. Its a pretty solid car altogether, Ford has been making EVs for a while now and they even have things like OTA updates. The entire reason why the wife is now shopping for another EV.. is her ID.4 is turning out to be glitchy. And from all accounts, CarPlay and other "smart" tech like BlueCruise appear to be working pretty well on the Ford. Alex on Autos was even pointing out how the built-in NAV on the MME has now gotten "smart" and it recommends charging stations that are the fastest, to make long road trips in the MME the shortest. Out of all the competitors to Tesla.. I feel like Ford is the most Tesla-like.

Doesn't take away the great things I've about the Korean brands too.. I just feel like Ford is going all-in on EVs with the MME, their upcoming EV F150 Lightning launch, and even plans to split the company so there is a specific EV branch. About the only thing left for Ford to do EV wise.. is selling straight to the customer. The dealership model needs to die. Ford dealers adding crazy markups to the F150 Lightning is a huge example why.

Canada really got hammered with increases. Model 3 up $5,000 cdn in a week. :eek:

Yikes, that's huge. Someone was mentioning a Canadian retail store was inundated with potential Tesla customers after fuel prices rose. I guess it's one way to discourage buyers.

If there wasn't such a supply crunch and dealers would actually sell at MSRP, I can't imagine myself getting a Model Y at this price. ID4, Mach E, Ioniq 5, EV6. All of them would be better picks for the price.

Dealers are selling at MSRP, and inflation will subside, may not be in 6 months, but just like the early 80's, this craziness will come to an end. I very much doubt, just like after the early 80s, that Tesla prices will drop.

I agree, there is no way would I buy another MY at this price. After owning my '20 MY since July of '20, purchased at $10K less, and have very much enjoyed the ownership, once non-Tesla inventory stabilizes, the competition is simply better priced for more features and higher build quality.

I have been putting money aside for few years now for a tesla and beginning of last year wen the price of model Y dipped below $50k I was just few grand short and there was a lot of talk about ev incentive. Then the price started coming up and the ev incentive talks were rampant so I waited as I was still short on my savings and I was hoping that incentive will come. But the prices kept going up so I finally pulled the trigger in early November still hoping for the incentive. So I locked the price for Model Y at $58k and when the incentive didn't pass and the rest of the car market looking even worse I decided to stick with my order even though I will need a small loan to actually pay for the car. So even though my timing was off I'm still glad I ordered the car when I did as at this point I would not place my order unless I would have no car to drive. I really hope the market will stabilize in a year or two and the prices will come down a bit but unfortunately the opposite is also possible. Most of the governments are really pushing the EV's but reality is in between geopolitical mess and the shortages of materials and parts and so many governments forcing everyone to switch to EV's faster than the manufacturing sector can scale might prolong this problem for the next 5-10 years. A lot of people are waking up and realize the benefits of EV's which go way beyond pollution. But I don't think it is physically possible to switch the entire industry from ICE to EV in just a few years. So we should let this process take place more naturally otherwise we are in for an extended period of time of EV shortages and sky high prices.