TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Inflection point ..

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Sir Guacamolaf, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Some interesting wording in this article -
    Tesla Gigafactory tour roundup and tidbits: ‘This is the coolest factory in the world’

"Tesla expects to hit the $100/kWh mark at or before 2020 for batteries which is close to the inflection point at which it begins costs less to build an electric powertrain than ICE even without subsidies or the savings of electricity vs. gas."

So,
    1. Right around the time when federal tax incentives for Tesla are about to expire, they are poised to produce EVs at the same cost as ICE cars. And then eventually cheaper than ICE cars.
    2. PLOOD may be a or so year away.
    3. In 2020 (only 3.5 years away), you'd have very little reason to buy an ICE, or even a hybrid.
    4. And only Tesla can produce batteries at this cost and volume.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. Jeff4155

Jeff4155 Member

Would be interesting to see if this happens come 2020, I suspect Tesla will be supplying the competition with batteries as well, sins they will be in the business of making batteries

3. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

There are many current and potential applications for these batteries. If I were Tesla I would start by selling batteries to everyone
    but the automotive industry and particularly to those willing to pay the highest prices (i.e., those where having a battery makes the
    product possible, unlike automobiles where there's a choice of energy source). This way they would protect the advantage
    their batteries provide for Tesla cars while generating as much additional revenue as possible.