TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Influence AP lane position in 7.1

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by universeFrom0, Jan 15, 2016.

1. universeFrom0

universeFrom0 Member

I noticed on my drive home that I could persuade AP to drift to one or the other side of the lane tonight, just by applying a firm amount of pressure on the steering wheel; a strong persistent pull but not quite enough to cancel auto steer. I could even convince the car to drift into a lane it hadn't recognised on the IC.

One of the requests in the TMC feature poll for 7.1 was for a way to 'trim' the car within the lane. I'm going to play around with this over the weekend, but maybe I've stumbled on just this feature. I don't recall being able to do this in 7.0

2. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

I've used it in 7.0. Not sure if it's easier in 7.1. I'll experiment a little, too.

3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I agree, I've done it in 7.0 also. But it's a pain and at that point, I'd rather just disengage AP instead of fighting it.

4. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

It's never listened to my inputs in 7.0. Usually ends up cancelling with a little to much force after which you possibly get into "I **** I forgot I disengaged it". Will have to try this.

5. green1

green1 Active Member

The question becomes how it handles it, is this just a matter of you can force it over and it automatically springs back when you let go? or do you move it over and it stays until the road changes? the former could be dangerous, the later would be great.

6. garygid

garygid Member

Right, ... Are you setting the AP's off-center bias, or are you just
    temporarily overriding the autopilot's control?
    In either case, thanks.

7. cytranic

cytranic Member

This is true, 7.1 allows for much more correction without disengaging autopilot... I can actually steer the car into the other lane, and Autopilot will still be tracking the previous lane... If I let go of the wheel it will jerk back over to the other lane I was previously in...

7.1 definitely allows for more correction than 7.0

8. universeFrom0

universeFrom0 Member

if feels elastic and will return to the Autosteers' preference when I let go. I can see this being useful for temporarily giving myself more clearance to big trucks in narrow lanes or smoothing out tighter long curves on the motorway.

9. thegruf

thegruf Member

I experience this too.
    But does it learn, either geofenced or driver input wrt other vehicles?

10. universeFrom0

universeFrom0 Member

Think of it as a short term manual over-ride without forcing an Autosteer disengagement. It's not geofenced.

11. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

What's so weird (after a few days driving 7.1) is that on some trips the car will consistently place itself fairly well in the center of the lane.
    And the next day, during the same commute, it will hug the right edge so that it's frightening and I constantly turn it off.
    Definitely not consistent for me

12. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Was trying this feature out today. Definite improvement. Now if they just go further and keep AP from disengaging through steering input, maybe they'll solve the unintentionally off problem.

13. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Mine definitely now biases to the right of the lane on a two lane road. I haven't noticed it on the highway yet. But I've only had it since Wed. At first it was a bit disconcerting to me. But I guess I would prefer to be a bit farther from the opposing traffic than the side of the road. I tend to do that normally when on the highway. I plant myself in the left lane and stay to the left, as I am always wanting to be the fastest on the road and I like not having cars on both sides.