Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info and Hints from Elon Tweets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That could be said for nearly any decision in the world. A simple average will give you an idea of what society will experience, on average. It's always up to each person to make their own decision.

These calculations have been done many times, but the attached file shows the calculations with a variety of assumptions. The national average miles driven is 13,500 and so the initial take was based on that, but I did it for 10,000 miles as well and you'll see that in the numbers. I assumed that the average car might keep the original battery for 15 years and so I stopped the calculations there, and I used a variety of discount rates. The 10Y bond rate is 1.55% and the discount rates used in this calculation varied from 6-9%, so I think there's a good bit of conservatism built into those numbers as well. You'll also see variations based on regular/premium gas prices and electric consumption differences between the Model S 90D and Model 3 (expected).

At the end of the day, the savings for someone who drives below the average, so 10,000 miles per year, is going to vary from just $4,000 up to $7,500. If you drive the average of 13,500 miles per year, the savings will vary from $5,500 up to nearly $10,000.

I tried to attach the spreadsheet for anyone who wants to play around with it, but Excel files aren't allowed here. If you know of another place I can upload it, let me know and I'll share it, or just send me a message with your email and I'll send it there.

Miles driven: How Many Miles Do Americans Drive Per Year?
Average gas price: AAA Gas Prices ($2.66 premium)
Electric prices, May 2016 residential pricing: EIA - Electricity Data
Average mpg: Average U.S. mpg edges up to 25.5 in May

View attachment 187347

View attachment 187348

Could you forward me a copy of this excel sheet? I sent you a PM. Thanks

An interesting article about the status of the Model 3 production line: Elon Musk Is Pushing Tesla Hard

"the Model 3 is well-designed for manufacturing,", which to my mind is KISS. I suspect there will be little to no technology that hasn't been proven on the Model S and a limited number of options initially. I'm reminded of the most profound statement about software systems: "All successful, complex software systems grow out of simple successful systems."

Figured it might be best to have a consolidated thread for all of the information and hints that Elon is dropping on Twitter right now around the Model 3, since every time he tweets another thread is made just for that one instance.

Is there a way to make a wiki page that is editable by everyone? If not I can try and keep up with updating ad he posts:

• RWD will be Standard, AWD upgrade (tweet)
    • AWD upgrade will be less than 5k (tweet)
    • AWD adjusts every ~.01 sec (tweet)
    • Production AWD will be faster than AWD cars used for reveal test drives (tweet)
  • There will be an optional Tow Hitch (tweet)
  • Dashboard will make more sense after part 2 reveal (tweet)
  • Steering controls on prototype shown are not the final iteration (tweet)(tweet 2)
  • Some tweaks being made to front of car (tweet)
  • Aerodynamic coefficient goal is 0.21 (tweet)

• The Model3 won't be a hatchback, but he believes they can increase the opening size (tweet)
    • Q: "The trunk opening on the model 3 now is rather very small, any chance of increasing its size?"
    • EM: "won't be a hatchback, but we should be able to increase the opening width and height"
  • Vegan Interior will be an option for Model3 (tweet)
  • He is serious about cowbells (tweet)
    • EM: "Signing off from impromptu Twitter AMA. Thanks for the suggestions. Btw, we really will have more cow bells."
  • Tall people can fit ( tweet)

Sorry for the terrible copy/paste job but they expect the charger location be on the rear drivers side of the vehicle....

Matthew Morgan
Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 5:11 AM
To: [email protected]

Which side / end of the Model 3 will the charging receptacle be? Thanks, Matt

Walter Franck
Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 9:17 AM
To: Matthew Morgan

Hello Ma‚,

Thanks for reaching out. We’re expecࢢng the charger port to be in the same locaࢢon as Model S and Model X: rear, driver side of the vehicle.

Walter Franck | Sr. Program Manager, Charging Installation 3500 Deer Creek Road, Palo Alto, CA 94304 510.946.4033 | [email protected]

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and isprotected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.