Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info and Hints from Elon Tweets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bigger battery will be a about 25% bigger than smaller on.
Same amount of cells will thus suffice for 20% less cars.
50k cars with smaller battery or 40k cars with bigger battery, which is better?
Depends (partly) on profit margin for each. I'm guessing bigger profit margin on bigger battery. They need cash for Model 3 production ramp. More cash up front helps facilitate faster ramp. People wanting smaller battery probably won't have to wait more than a few months, so not a huge deal.

It depends on the total profit on all cars. The large battery option can have a larger profit margin without making it the better option.
Indeed. That's why I said partly. Also depends on how many orders they get for each config. They may get some people to upgrade just by offering the bigger battery first. Also depends on whether the production bottleneck is battery or body (rest of car).

Indeed. That's why I said partly. Also depends on how many orders they get for each config. They may get some people to upgrade just by offering the bigger battery first. Also depends on whether the production bottleneck is battery or body (rest of car).
What would happen if they open the design studio, get 100's of thousands of configurations, and 75% go for the 75kwh battery.

They may change their thinking about the 55khw battery and just make the 55 a software limited 75.

-smak-

Did you see the latest tweet today? Elon Musk on Twitter

Not quite sure what THAT means.
AI serves up relevant information depending on the circumstances?

On side streets or congested areas with speed limits <35 mph and driving manually, it is important to know your speed, so that will be displayed.

On a divided highway with autopilot, time to destination is displayed.

Just my guess.

Edit to add the Tweet from Elon
Screenshot_20170329-200643.jpg

I think I'm finally standing the philosophy here and the approach Tesla is taking. The bet is that you really only need to see your speed when you're going too fast. At speeds slower than the limit or in traffic a speedometer is not necessary and it may be refreshing to not have to constantly see it. When either going over the posted limit or too fast for a specific stretch of road as evidenced from self driving data the speed will pop up in the corner of the center screen alerting you. In all, it may turn out to be a more engaging driving experience and more refreshing in general.

Had a thought will the car read speed signs like say a volvo does? Maybe this is why a HUD is not needed. Checked the time it takes me to look at the NAV map on the centre console and then Road and same again with the the speedo. No time difference nor any issues with missing anything I would normally see. I know many cars have centre speedo's these days so not sure what the real issue is.

Reactions: 1208