Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info and Hints from Elon Tweets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And now from last night, we have this, which I don't know what to make of. No referrals if you want anything in return? No referrals from YouTube? I don't get it. More than ever, we need referrals, with the FUS program; I, for one, don't have a 'friend' with a Tesla. Lol...

upload_2017-5-24_6-36-26.png

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
And now from last night, we have this, which I don't know what to make of. No referrals if you want anything in return? No referrals from YouTube? I don't get it. More than ever, we need referrals, with the FUS program; I, for one, don't have a 'friend' with a Tesla. Lol...

View attachment 228223
Social media has helped Tesla immensely over the years. I watched @Bjorn for years and bought a Tesla thanks to his videos. If Tesla doesn't allow those using social media to spread the word about Tesla and benefit from their hard work and dedication, Tesla would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Social media has helped Tesla immensely over the years. I watched @Bjorn for years and bought a Tesla thanks to his videos. If Tesla doesn't allow those using social media to spread the word about Tesla and benefit from their hard work and dedication, Tesla would be shooting themselves in the foot.
Exactly. I was going to comment to Elon if I'd been on at the time that I've learned tons from Bjorn, Erik and David, Like Tesla, James Cooke, James and Kate, Now You Know, KMan, etc. I may not be getting one except for all that info and demos. And when the limit is five per, what is the problem?

In the modern world, 'word of mouth' is spread via multiple technologies.

Kman Auto and Bjørn Nyland are not people I have personally met, but I feel as if I know them, just the same. They have been good Friends to me over the past three years. I learned a lot from them.
I think a distinction should be drawn between those like Bjorn and Kman who provide information on and advocacy for Tesla vehicles who mention their codes vs. those who simply hawk their codes for personal gain.

The former are very much like Tesla owners speaking directly to family, friends, neighbors, or co-workers about their cars (demonstrating features, explaining how EVs work, dispelling FUD and misconceptions, explaining the Tesla sales model, etc.). Whether in person or in a video, these people are ambassadors for Tesla and help generate new customers who may not otherwise be aware of Tesla or inclined to purchase one of their vehicles. These are the people for which the referral program is intended to reward.

The latter are doing it solely for personal gain. They're not doing anything to help promote the Tesla brand or its vehicles. They are simply offering a discount (sometimes with added cash inducement) to people who are likely planning to buy a Tesla anyway, whether or not the referral incentive exists.

So, if there is to be any kind of crackdown on referral code abuse, it should not be done across the board for a given medium without regard to this distinction.

Last edited: