Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info and Hints from Elon Tweets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Figured it might be best to have a consolidated thread for all of the information and hints that Elon is dropping on Twitter right now around the Model 3, since every time he tweets another thread is made just for that one instance.

Is there a way to make a wiki page that is editable by everyone? If not I can try and keep up with updating ad he posts:

• RWD will be Standard, AWD upgrade (tweet)
    • AWD upgrade will be less than 5k (tweet)
    • AWD adjusts every ~.01 sec (tweet)
    • Production AWD will be faster than AWD cars used for reveal test drives (tweet)
  • There will be an optional Tow Hitch (tweet)
  • Dashboard will make more sense after part 2 reveal (tweet)
  • Steering controls on prototype shown are not the final iteration (tweet)(tweet 2)
  • Some tweaks being made to front of car (tweet)
  • Aerodynamic coefficient goal is 0.21 (tweet)

• The Model3 won't be a hatchback, but he believes they can increase the opening size (tweet)
    • Q: "The trunk opening on the model 3 now is rather very small, any chance of increasing its size?"
    • EM: "won't be a hatchback, but we should be able to increase the opening width and height"
  • Vegan Interior will be an option for Model3 (tweet)
  • He is serious about cowbells (tweet)
    • EM: "Signing off from impromptu Twitter AMA. Thanks for the suggestions. Btw, we really will have more cow bells."
  • Tall people can fit ( tweet)

Last edited by a moderator:
Figured it might be best to have a consolidated thread for all of the information and hints that Elon is dropping on Twitter right now around the Model 3, since every time he tweets another thread is made just for that one instance.

Is there a way to make a wiki page that is editable by everyone? If not I can try and keep up with updating ad he posts:

• RWD will be Standard, AWD upgrade (tweet)
    • AWD upgrade will be less than 5k (tweet)
    • AWD adjusts every ~.01 sec (tweet)
    • Production AWD will be faster than AWD cars used for reveal test drives (tweet)
  • There will be an optional Tow Hitch (tweet)
  • Dashboard will make more sense after part 2 reveal (tweet)
  • Steering controls on prototype shown are not the final iteration (tweet)(tweet 2)
  • Some tweaks being made to front of car (tweet)
  • Aerodynamic coefficient goal is 0.21

Thank you for the updates!

Exciting news about the spaceship controls and dashboard. What is the real steering system? Is it not a wheel? Why is it a system and not a wheel?And I think we are going to have a large HUD on the windscreen...

From Elon's Twitter Feed:

Q: "Why small trunk lid instead of big hatchback like S&X? I ride a bike not a surfboard :) "
A: " Only way to get enough rear passenger headroom was to move the rear roof cross-car support beam. A bike will still fit no problem."

Q: "What is Model 3's aerodynamic coefficient?"
A: "hopefully 0.21"

EM: "Model 3 will be RWD, with dual motor AWD optional. Even RWD will have great traction on ice due to fast torque response of Tesla drivetrain."
Q: "Reveal cars were AWD?"
A: "yes, but production AWD will be a lot faster"

Q: "~5k upgrade like on model s for dual motor? Or less since overall cost is lower?"
A: "Less"

EM: "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

Q: "Really hoping back seats can fold down on the 3."
A: "They can. Will be great for road trips and camping."

EM: "Edge and contour refinement are ongoing. Even 0.1mm matters."

EM: "Air suspension dynamically adjusts ride height."

EM: "Our production ramp plan should enable large numbers of non X/S customers to receive the credit.... We always try to maximize customer happiness even if that means a revenue shortfall in a quarter. Loyalty begets loyalty."

EM: "There will be an optional tow hitch."

EM: "Matte black was surprisingly popular. Probably makes sense to bring it to production."

Just thought I would update: Elon saw this Picture of Photoshopped model 3

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 5.17.31 PM.png

I wonder what he plans on doing re: the federal credit? Hold off on car #200,000 until after the beginning of the next quarter to allow for almost 6 months after the 200,000th car is delivered? Possibly including building cars but not delivering?