Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info and Hints from Elon Tweets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect just two choices: the base capacity (likely 55) and the optional 75 which Elon appears to have confirmed today.
FWIW, I agree with this sort of lineup: I don't think 10 kWh is meaningful, and I don't know if they would go with software locks on packs after the (we are assuming) small number of people upgrading the current 60. If the 75 does give about 300 Miles, a 55 would be a good other option.

Reactions: melindav
OK, so if AWD is not going to be produced in order to simplify production I wonder if there will be other options that won't be available right away. This could end meaning that only people that order/want less optioned cars will qualify for the full tax credit. Hopefully, they will be more clear on when things will be produced as well as some more info on how many US cars they've sold. Some people may have some tough choices to make.

If I remember correctly the other rumor that started at the same time as the RWD first was that the larger battery would be produced first. Nothing on that in the tweets that I could see.

People might have to decide if they want to wait for AWD or the smaller battery but miss the full tax credit?

Reactions: Red Sage
o I do not agree that "Monitoring EAP requires constant checking between what the car sees, and reality." That sounds like you aren't spending enough time watching the road.

If you aren't the one driving, watching the road without also confirming with the driver that *they* see that car too, sounds less safe. To use ridiculous extremes, just staring at the autopilot display is useless; just staring at the road is useless. There is an optimal point in between. My contention is that having established that point, it is going to involve quite a bit of looking back and forth. Certainly more than is required for monitoring speed, for example.

Thank you kindly.

If you aren't the one driving, watching the road without also confirming with the driver that *they* see that car too, sounds less safe. To use ridiculous extremes, just staring at the autopilot display is useless; just staring at the road is useless. There is an optimal point in between. My contention is that having established that point, it is going to involve quite a bit of looking back and forth. Certainly more than is required for monitoring speed, for example.

Thank you kindly.
My experience with AP1 is that the optimal point is something like 99% looking at the road and 1% looking at the IC. Probably less looking at the IC. Usually the glance down is because the car is doing something you don't expect it to do while you're looking at the roadway. It's more of a "WTH is the car thinking?"

My experience with AP1 is that the optimal point is something like 99% looking at the road and 1% looking at the IC. Probably less looking at the IC. Usually the glance down is because the car is doing something you don't expect it to do while you're looking at the roadway. It's more of a "WTH is the car thinking?"
I concur. Mostly looking at the road. Even when it starts to go errant, you get to know APs "personality" so you know what it's misjudging without even looking down. Actually today I happened to glance down and was impressed that the car was behaving correctly even though it couldn't see any lane markers.

Elon also said that about 50% of the people wanted the Model Y and 50% for the Model 3. Having to wait 2 years for the Model Y is going to make a lot of people, like me, very unhappy. :(
Well, they have to wait long enough for us to forget he promised falcon wing doors on it. And you win because you aren't burdened by falcon wing doors.. :)

Elon also said that about 50% of the people wanted the Model Y and 50% for the Model 3. Having to wait 2 years for the Model Y is going to make a lot of people, like me, very unhappy. :(
I don't think there was ever any expectation that the Y would come out any quicker following it's initial reveal (which hasn't happened yet) than the Model 3's - which would put it at least 2 years out, right? so what's to be unhappy about?

Yes it was.
I would guess they have upped the 55 to a 60, to slightly beat the Bolts EPA mileage, maybe 245 miles? Then the 75 at 295 or 300 miles.

I don't think they will need to match the Bolt's 60 kWh battery to beat it in range. With better aerodynamics and Tesla's other design advantages, I think they will be able to get 240-250 out of 55 kWh. For the 75 kWh size, my guess is 310-320. They need to pass that magic 300 figure for good public perception, but they probably can't beat the 335 of their current range king, the Model S 100D. (Nor would they want to, I think.)

I don't think there was ever any expectation that the Y would come out any quicker following it's initial reveal (which hasn't happened yet) than the Model 3's - which would put it at least 2 years out, right? so what's to be unhappy about?
Well, there was some talk a while ago about that Tesla should be releasing one new model to the marked each year (sometime in the future) to get a full models lineup like other car manufacturers, so there was some reasons to hope that Model Y would only be one year behind the Model 3. But they are not there yet based on this tweets...

Reactions: Red Sage
Well, there was some talk a while ago about that Tesla should be releasing one new model to the marked each year (sometime in the future) to get a full models lineup like other car manufacturers, so there was some reasons to hope that Model Y would only be one year behind the Model 3. But they are not there yet based on this tweets...
Tesla lacks the resources to introduce a new vehicle model every year. It costs billions to design, develop, and start manufacturing in volume a new car model.

If there was "some talk" it was unrealistic.

Reactions: Zythryn
As my flying instructor literally screamed at me "fly the plane, not the instrument panel, LOOK out the windows everywhere"