Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info on Autopilot + v7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Better prepare to wait a while longer for Autopilot..

From today's investor call:

"Tesla is targeting release of its software update to beta customers this month, and depending on how it is received, a wide release for the auto-pilot and auto-park features in one to two months after that, Musk says."

Source:
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2015/08/05/live-blog-tesla-to-report-second-quarter-results/

Assuming the early access release is Aug 15, this puts general Autopilot release in the Sep-15 to Oct-15 timeframe -- assuming everything goes well and no major issues are encountered.

Better prepare to wait a while longer for Autopilot..

From today's investor call:

"Tesla is targeting release of its software update to beta customers this month, and depending on how it is received, a wide release for the auto-pilot and auto-park features in one to two months after that, Musk says."

Source:
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2015/08/05/live-blog-tesla-to-report-second-quarter-results/

Assuming the early access release is Aug 15, this puts general Autopilot release in the Sep-15 to Oct-15 timeframe -- assuming everything goes well and no major issues are encountered.

I think the general release coincides well with the start of delivery of the X which will certainly have as many, if not more, sensors for AD. I suspect having it ready for the X launch may be the ultimate goal (and time restriction).

Hi Footbag.

With the recent "leaks" of v7.0 on this forum. Can you comment on any of the differences between what you saw and the pics we have all seen?

Thanks!

The 17" screen looks just like what I saw. In short, new coloring and some small design changes, but essentially the same as what we have now. As the car I saw was off (brake pedal not pressed), I didn't see much on the instrument panel. The one change is with the energy graph. What I saw was more stylized, with a bubble/round/3d look. The leaked graph seems basically the same as our current one, and I did not see the power meter around it, as in the leaks. I am not sure if it has been confirmed if the power meter shows when the car is off in the leaks?
The lock button I saw is in the leaks (top left of 17"). The one Tesla employee did comment that you would now be able to see brake lights via the center of the instrument panel, so that seems to be the case. The other, main source of info indeed commented that the center portion was significantly redesigned and that it would look pretty cool seems to hold up... when autopilot info is shown. I would tend to agree with WK057 (going from memory, sorry if I got the name wrong), that they have reduced 'design/fancy looks' to speed the system up.
I plan to revisit my first post once all this washes out, if only to see for myself how close/far it ended up being from the final product.

Of course it's in my opinion, why would I be posting someone else's opinion? lol

And just to remind you, we are all outsiders here according to your definition.

In case that was too subtle for you, I was pointing out that you stated something as simple fact about which you have zero substantiated evidence.

And yes, we are all outsiders of Tesla (AFAIK), so we might want to take care when stating "facts" about their motivations.

- - - Updated - - -

The first iPhone in 2007 had 3D graphics and full-on skeuomorphism, and it ran just fine.

I agree with AR in part: Apple's move away from Skeuomorpism is documented to have nothing to do with performance and everything to do with style and taste.

Last edited:
The 17" screen looks just like what I saw. In short, new coloring and some small design changes, but essentially the same as what we have now. As the car I saw was off (brake pedal not pressed), I didn't see much on the instrument panel. The one change is with the energy graph. What I saw was more stylized, with a bubble/round/3d look. The leaked graph seems basically the same as our current one, and I did not see the power meter around it, as in the leaks. I am not sure if it has been confirmed if the power meter shows when the car is off in the leaks?
The lock button I saw is in the leaks (top left of 17"). The one Tesla employee did comment that you would now be able to see brake lights via the center of the instrument panel, so that seems to be the case. The other, main source of info indeed commented that the center portion was significantly redesigned and that it would look pretty cool seems to hold up... when autopilot info is shown. I would tend to agree with WK057 (going from memory, sorry if I got the name wrong), that they have reduced 'design/fancy looks' to speed the system up.
I plan to revisit my first post once all this washes out, if only to see for myself how close/far it ended up being from the final product.

Very interesting Footbag, thanks! :)

In case that was too subtle for you, I was pointing out that you stated something as simple fact about which you have zero substantiated evidence.

Not subtle at all, but thank you for the condescending follow-up. And in case my point was too subtle for you, everything anyone says here is, by default, opinion. Perhaps the only real facts ever posted were posted by George Blankenship because he actually worked for Tesla and had the facts. Mine happens to be an informed opinion based upon my understanding of how GPUs function. I worked in graphics and UI design for 10 years and have a pretty good understanding of why these types of changes are made. I wasn't always a Realtor. :)

Suggesting the reason is due to performance demonstrates a lack of understanding of how these systems function.

I haven't seen much chat around here regarding Elon's tweet that all cars would learn from other cars. This implies a supervised learning algorithm of some sort, which digests collected data from cars on the road (I assume that would include geolocation and other important metrics). Does anyone know if there any other car manufacturers at this point who are collecting this kind of information for the purposes of supervised learning/steering control, etc?

I would guess that this only applies to Autopilot vehicles, but certainly an argument could be made for valuable data even from 'classic' vehicles like my P85. However, assuming it's only Autopilot vehicles, the input set is limited by those vehicles and driven miles. If another manufacturer is doing this, I would guess they'd catch up really quickly because they have the ability to use a much larger set of vehicles on the road.

It would be really interesting to get more details on this program from Tesla, though I can't see much benefit in making it public. I imagine a map with Autopilot confidence levels highlighting the roadways.. would be cool.

With v7/Autopilot now released, I wanted to revisit my original post to see how things turned out comparatively:

- Autopilot is very close to ready - i did not press for more specifics. They were unaware of Elons comments about the 405 or whatever highway with faded white lines and light concrete.
Well, it was about 2.5 months later that it got released. So apparently it wasn’t that close to ready. Perhaps Elon decided to hold things up while they worked on faded lines and the like…

- To that end, there is consideration that the system may talk to the mothership to know areas where autopilot can't be relied upon, so the car will give the driver notice in advance - "you are approaching an area where autopilot cannot function reliably, prepare to take control" (my words based on this persons comments)
Yep, Elon went into some detail about how this crowd sourced data is going to benefit all Tesla drivers. It seems several instances of the ‘nag’ that people (including myself) have faced could in fact be the ‘autopilot cannot function reliably’ message in another form (albeit it is too soon for it to be because of lessons learned from other drivers).

- Having seen a situation where a 110km speed sign was read as 10k by the car, I mentioned this to this person. They were quite shocked this happened. They did confirm the intention is that the system will automatically adjust the speed of the car (as seen in the initial demonstration, and as an improvement to the current "set cruise to speed" function we have now).
Since we don’t have the speed auto adjusting, I have to believe they have seen issues with speed sign recognition, as I mentioned. It should be noted that Tesla has been improving the speed sign recognition, there are confirmed cases where a sign that used to cause issues now registers correctly.

- I suggested/asked if the system had a threshold - don't adjust speed if delta is greater than x. That is not part of the system, but they were intrigued by the idea.
Since they don’t adjust speed, this is still a wait-and-see item.

- I asked if the car 'tells' tesla when a speed sign is 'ignored' by the driver, ie that the car detected it wrong. No such communication happens.
Similar to last two points, too early to know much. With Elon’s recent statements about the cars sending back info, it is reasonable to believe this may be included, but that is just speculation.

- In stop and go traffic, the system is reliable enough that the driver could be distracted while driving and still be safe (not saying this is a good thing or the intention!). This individual gave examples of doing tasks very not related to driving, and having nothing untoward result.
So far, every indication is that this is correct. Several reports of reasonably long distance travel without a nag or incident supports that in certain situations, the car is more ‘autonomous’ than not. Of course, since situations can change in an instant, drivers still need to stay alert.

- There appears to be a bit of 'debate' within Tesla over how much the car should pester the driver to stay focused on driving. A 'new' feature just put into the software recently goes quite far towards pestering. This individual really disliked it, and was trying to get it reverted. It has to do with, and is in stark contrast to some statements Elon made a while back. I joked "the lawyers must be getting involved" and the response I got was a slight chuckle. We all will hope this individual gets this change reverted (but I am not so sure Tesla as a company will revert it)
As above, in many instances, there is no nag. Often times, the nag is less a nag and more a notice that intervention is required for safe travelling. However, I have experienced what I would call a nag… taking a long curve (not too tight, but length) on a highway, with cars around, AFTER completing the curve, the car twice (once in each direction) asked to grab the wheel. The second time I refused. After a few warnings (about 30 seconds apart), the car slowed down. However, autosteer remained on, and TACC remained active (as indicated by the icon lit in the dash). So long as the accelerator was used to maintain speed, I was able to keep driving hands free. However, after about 2 minutes of constant beeping (rather annoying beeping), I have in and moved the wheel slightly. This was all it took to make the car happy, and TACC took over again. Since it went on for 2 minutes, and since the car never showed any signs of having difficulty, I consider this a nag. Granted, I was then able to drive nag free for ~20 minutes.

- I brought up Elon mentioning sensor suite 2. This person confirmed that more sensors are needed for autonomous driving. No surprise. Did not ask about the Model S seen with additional cameras.
Elon’s comments yesterday about the coming ability to recognize traffic lights and stop signs was ambiguous, but it seemed like it applied to the current sensor suite, so there could still be improvements to be seen with the original sensor suite. He did reaffirm that more sensors would be needed for autonomous driving.

- Some discussion was had about laws - Tesla is keenly aware that autonomous features in cars are a grey area, that laws are typically not in place about them, and Tesla wants to implement it to be safe enough that laws don't need to get written, with the fear being that when government writes such laws, they will be too overboard on safety and will prevent features.
There have been suggestions that even the current abilities of the car are running into issues with the law. I can’t recount the source, but there was something published that the car will behave differently in regions so as to comply with their road rules. Also, Elon stated the rollout of v7 to Europe was going to be a smidge later, as they needed some regulatory approval.

- I mentioned having owned an Infiniti Q50 for a short time - "oh, the car that ping pongs between the lanes"... this person knew about the car. It was mentioned the team has a Merc S Class, and that is the benchmark they are trying to beat. There was confidence implied that they had beat the S Class in lane keeping.
Elons response to why Tesla’s autopilot was better than the competitors was answered mostly with a reference to the ability the cars have to communicate with each other (in a sense). No competitor has anything like that ability.

- No discussion about self parking - I mean, this person got out of the car and it parked itself next to the Supercharger, but I wasn't about to point out that we all saw that (just kidding)
Well we got parallel parking. Apparently more abilities are coming in v7.1 (with no set timeframe given yet0.

- This person mentioned it was much more relaxing driving in autopilot mode. Something said to the effect of 'if you are tired, you still are able to monitor the car just fine (autopilot on), whereas you might not be as able to drive the car safely (autopilot off)'. Again, I don't think this individual nor tesla (nor I) advocate driving a car with autopilot when you shouldn't be/when you wouldn't be able to safely drive a car without autopilot.
Driving on the highway/freeway in AP is certainly a pleasure. Driving on random city roads are hit and miss, but there absolutely are situations where driver intervention is needed in a hurry.

- I asked if I could see v7 which was running in the car, after a quick 'thought' ('yes' was not immediate), I was let in the drivers seat - it was made VERY clear not to try to take any pictures. I was very surprised to be allowed to sit down.
- The person did almost all of the interaction, except when I asked to press CONTROLS once (this was out of respect, but it seemed like this person would have been ok with me pressing buttons at will)
- I didn't think to press the T to see version number
- As talked about on here (TMC), it is the dark/flat look that was in the demo cars at the D launch.
This is indeed the case.

- I was a bit overwhelmed, and didn't take too many mental notes about the specific looks. Icons were less cartooney.
This is indeed the case.

- There is less contrast between the background and the text/icons - sun was shining brightly on the screen, and even the individual had trouble making out the bottom row of buttons (settings, temp, etc).
This is indeed the case. That said, I didn’t have issues with visibility thus far with the sun. Contrast between elements on the screen may have been tweaked from what I saw (tough to recall).

- The layout exactly mimics what we have - everything is in same place on the 17" screen
Indeed the case.

- There is a new icon indicating charge port is open
I actually haven’t checked this myself yet.

- On a very quick pass through, the CONTROLS screen seemed to be the same. The individual jumped through some pages, I didn't notice anything, but certainly may have missed items.
- It was implied that there were not any BIG new features - I did not see an APPS icon for instance - and it is still the same 2 open windows layout. This relates to my perception the person would have let me press buttons at will - in that there wasn't anything present they thought needed to be hidden.
Aside from the clock and individual tire pressure read outs, no big new features came about (yes, some features were removed, much to the dismay of several forum members).

- The top icons (nav, music, etc) did not seem to be 'in a tray' as they are now (or so my memory recalls - again, didn't think to pay enough attention)
Indeed the case.

- This individual stated being very bothered when various button presses would take time to activate - so the team spent considerable effort speeding response times up - but are limited by the hardware (I did not ask about model X having a faster processor)
I haven’t noticed much in this regard (for better or worse), but WK057 certainly things it is faster, so perhaps this individuals focus on performance bore fruit.

- This person never uses the web browser (who does LOL), so couldn't comment if it was much faster. When launched, it was set to go to youtube.com - but didn't load in a few seconds and we moved on. Typing this now, youtube is an odd site for it to automatically launch to, I wonder if they added in video playback? but again, the site didn't load, so that is just a guess on my part.
I haven’t thought to check… but I would be shocked if video playback was added.

- Car was running 3G - From what I read here, LTE hasn't really sped things up for owners, but this individual indicated it should, FWIW
- Nothing obvious changed with backup camera.
- Panning in Nav seemed smoother/quicker.
- Did not see Music or Energy windows.
- I did joke about there being a bunch of little features that likely were added, the person indicated indeed there are.
This seems to be the case. Tire pressure read outs, the clock (yippie?), changes to trip metering, shortcut to lock/unlock doors.

- One such little feature, and one this person never even noticed before I pointed to it (in this persons defence, autopilot was their focus, not the V7 overhaul), was a LOCK icon at the very top left of the screen. It appeared to indicate if the doors are locked or not. This individual never actually noticed it there before. Did not test, but I suspect it may be a quick way to lock/unlock the doors - yay.

- The instrument cluster follows the same dark/flat approach.
Indeed.

- The energy graph and nav were on screen. As much as I said 'flat', these two were 'rounded', in the sense of round dials - the energy graph no longer is the rectangular design.
So the energy graph changed substantially from what I saw. The NAV I think is quite close… I like how the new NAV fades into the background.

- v7 UI Overhaul is very close, again except for the rounded energy graph (and I'm pretty sure Nav was rounded as well, but less certain)
- As the car wasn't in motion/on (i didn't step on the brake), nothing of note was displayed in the center area.
Well we all know what is there now!

- It was mentioned that the center area got a large redesign. I honestly couldn't grasp/picture what was being explained to me - it sounded like the round dial interface was gone - which would seem to be represented in the above link/picture.
- The center area is going to show the cars position in relation to the lane markings
- It (or somewhere) will also indicate the position and distance of cars/objects around you - "very dynamic" were the words used.
- It was mentioned that if you got too close to an object beside you, the car would move you away. I interpreted that as a means to prevent/reduce impact of side swiping.
The above 4 points all turned out to be accurate.

All in all, the info I got seemed to be pretty darn accurate. Lesson learned... it is well worth talking to Tesla employees at Superchargers!

I had the opportunity to drive from Kamloops to Vancouver this morning, over the Coquihalla, with the new V7 firmware just loaded into the car. So 300 to 350 km of divided highway driving, mountainous terrain and through the flats of the Fraser Valley. I don't have any real differences of opinion with your comments, but I did notice a few things that might be of interest...

1. It doesn't take much user interaction to cause Autopilot to release. I found that if I was a little nervous about how close a car or the median concrete was to me and just slightly applied pressure to the steering wheel, it would beep-boop off line and I'd be driving on my own again. Unless some other factor was contributing, I found this to be a little too sensitive. It would be nice if it functioned a little more like cruise control... where you can add some speed with your right foot for a period, then let go and have your speed drop back to cruise speed. Instead, it acts like you touched the brake and it just releases. I'd like to be able to add my own inputs, then let it take over when I release the pressure.
  2. Because of (1) above, I found I didn't want to hold onto the wheel, or allow it to take the weight of my arms. My shoulders got tired from holding my arms up so they didn't interfere with the Autopilot and cause it to drop out. I ended up having them palm up on my legs, just under the wheel so I could grab when needed. The reminders and disclaimers indicating you should hold onto the wheel seem to disagree with the reality of how holding on prevents the system from working.
  3. It gets confused when a climbing lane is introduced on the right side of the road. I found it would follow the fog line as the road widened, then suddenly 'realize' that the new lane line was there (about to straddle it) and swerve back to the left and into the original 'through alignment'. That was weird and a little disconcerting.
  4. I also got the 'nag' in places I didn't expect it - at least based on visual information available. Long corners were the usual, but a bridge abutment also freaked it out.
  5. Probably a good thing - as I approached a construction zone, with orange delineators all over the place, Autopilot decided it wasn't going to take on the responsibility of keeping me in my lane and told me to take over NOW! I was ready for that, since I was pushing the envelope to see what it would handle. This was a circumstance that it probably shouldn't be allowed to control - yet.
  6. The new dash shows the current speed zone with a 'sign', rather than the bar on the speedo. Much more intuitive. I had very poor luck with my camera recognizing speed signs in 6.2, so I was hoping for improvements. Not the case. Now that the speed limit is more obviously displayed, I was more aware of how often it's wrong. And that turned out to be worse than I thought in 6.2. It never got the speed right on the Coquihalla. In spite of being posted at 120 on big signs, the dash told me the limit was either 90, 100 or 110... but never 120.
  7. Driving on the long flat straights in the Valley was really nice. Autopilot behaved quite well throughout that whole run and I didn't feel like I needed to have my hands *right there* at all times. Good or bad, I don't know.
  8. I really liked that it didn't pinball me between the lane lines like the Audi 'lane assist' function does!
  9. As far as the general user interface goes, I do miss the energy indications.
  10. I might get used to the different information displayed in the trip meter, but it didn't feel right to me today.
  11. I like being able to check tire pressures, but not sure they should be where they are... a page in the settings somewhere might be more logical.
  12. The night mode didn't want to flip to day mode as early as I thought it should (yeah, out the door Way Too Early). I changed it manually rather than increase the dim night mode intensity.

Overall, I think Autopilot works quite well. Considering it's still noted as 'beta' in the settings screen, it feels really good. Like many others, I think that the distinction between Autopilot and Self-Drive is a bit blurry. I know what it means, but to operate as I *think* it was intended, I believe it should allow more input from the driver so it's more of an assistance system. In other words, I should be able to hold onto the wheel and have it keep me between the lines, but not bale on me if I want to avoid a pothole or something... I should be able to interject a swerve and have it pick up again seamlessly.

I had the opportunity to drive from Kamloops to Vancouver this morning, over the Coquihalla, with the new V7 firmware just loaded into the car. So 300 to 350 km of divided highway driving, mountainous terrain and through the flats of the Fraser Valley.

Great post! Thanks!

I believe it should allow more input from the driver so it's more of an assistance system. In other words, I should be able to hold onto the wheel and have it keep me between the lines, but not bale on me if I want to avoid a pothole or something... I should be able to interject a swerve and have it pick up again seamlessly.

I can see how and why this would be useful, but I can also see why Tesla wants to just "yield control" if the driver is attempting to steer. It is really simple to give steering control back to the car, which I think makes this less of an issue than it otherwise might be.

I can see how and why this would be useful, but I can also see why Tesla wants to just "yield control" if the driver is attempting to steer. It is really simple to give steering control back to the car, which I think makes this less of an issue than it otherwise might be.
It might come in the final version, if enough feedback / interest is made by the user i.e. TMC .