Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info on M3 Dual AWD Delivery yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have reservation (day 1) for the Model 3, and waiting for the Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive version.
Currently the delivery states "Mid 2018".

Does anyone have any more information on when (estimated month) this is supposed to be available?

I have a current lease ending this summer and trying to time things. TIA

I want to say that I saw a post where someone had an estimate for the AWD for April/May, but I cannot seem to locate it. I would love to get the AWD, but am curious what fulfillment priority will be and how that would effect the federal rebate.
Thanks, let me know if you find the thread.
I live in Chicago so I pretty much need AWD as it snowed even yesterday arrrghhhh!

I configured a midnight silver RWD with Aero Wheels a little over a week ago and am already wondering if I should have held out for the AWD config. At this point I am definitely counting down the minutes till it arrives, but I like the idea of being able to tackle any weather condition thrown at me.

I want to say that I saw a post where someone had an estimate for the AWD for April/May, but I cannot seem to locate it. I would love to get the AWD, but am curious what fulfillment priority will be and how that would effect the federal rebate.
I also saw a post that referenced a month like April/May. I took a look at the Spread sheet ant there are a few that claim this, but not enough to where I believe what they are saying. If you do not get a post replying to this stating April/May then it is probably not true.

Having said that, I believe we are very close. It would not surprise me to have Tesla allow AWD configurations in Canada at any time now. For USA deliveries, however, I would not expect any AWD deliveries before July 1st. They may do USA configuations as soon as mid May but deliveries will be in Q3, not in Q2.

new info

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-04-08 01.51.02.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-04-08 01.51.02.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Informative
Reactions: Tam
So at least July before dual motor or any other options are added. I decided to order 1st config. This makes it difficult for anyone in Ontario waiting for DM as rebate may be gone.
And secondly once July hits they'll be focused on shipping cars to the states so it'll be a long time before AWD gets shipped to Canada I think.

I think most importantly is knowing the specs and pricing of the AWD model 3. We need to see if we can afford it also If the specs are worth the while since there is a big change of loosing the full tax rebate.

That would help us decide if we should configure our car right now. I don't have Twitter can someone ask him when Tesla will release the specs and pricing :p

Elon just tweeted that they intend to release the dual motors as soon as they can get the single motor version up to 5,000/week.

Do not want to add additonal complexity to the assembly until the can get the volumes up.

"So July" was his response, but probably his best (and usually optimistic) goal.

Nothing about pricing or performance details.

Imagine this will be a very popular option, with some wanting the least expensive, and others wanting the super usefull AWD for limited traction (snow) regions and those wanting the best performance.

I also imagine both dual motor and small battery timing have a lot to do with customer demand. I suspect they will “invite” nearly *everyone* on the waitlist to configure their car prior to moving to the dual motor version... if none of those people opt for the rear motor version, then I suspect the answer would be much sooner.

But given that lots of people that want the rear motor big battery version haven’t been invited yet, I suspect Elon’s “July” estimate will be pretty close. They’ll switch over once they hit ~5000 cars/week or possibly sooner if they see demand for the “first production” version taper.

Confirmation on Electrek ... Tesla Model 3 with dual motor now planned for July, says Elon Musk
:cool:
Tesla officially planned to release the Model 3 with dual motor all-wheel-drive in “mid-2018” and we have recently seen several signs that the new version of the vehicle is coming. Now CEO Elon Musk linked the release of the new Model 3 powertrain with the automaker achieving a production rate of 5,000 Model 3 vehicles per week, which he now expects to hit in July.

Earlier this year, we reported on Tesla registering 19 Model 3 VINs with dual motor powertrain with NHTSA in the latest batch of new VINs. It happened right after the Tesla Model 3 dual motor powertrain design (pictured above) leaked in the latest design studio update.

• Informative
Reactions: JES2
I will not drive the Cascades near Steven's Pass during a whiteout without AWD, even with Hakka 8s. Canadians and Norwegians buy AWD cars for a reason.

Not sure why you'd be driving during a whiteout at all since you can't see.... AWD, snow tires, chains, not even Elon Musk can help you there, but it's interesting you brought up Stevens pass. I've driven both my M4 and GT3, both RWD vehicles through the pass while it's snowing. I have also driven the Model 3 LR with RWD through the Washington winter in snow and rain and it did great, and that was on all season tires. In Germany, the land of BMWs, Porsches, and the like (most are RWD) they drive through compacted snow on a daily winterly basis. To each their own, but since I actually have experience driving the Model 3 in snow I shared my .02 cents

Reactions: oldtrip
...I've driven both my M4 and GT3, both RWD vehicles through the pass while it's snowing. I have also driven the Model 3 LR with RWD through the Washington winter in snow and rain and it did great, and that was on all season tires..

My first accident ever was in the lower Cascades in a RWD Porsche because I misjudged the car's traction capabilities in a turn on slippery roads. My second accident farther up the mountain was a lot more serious.

I have never had an accident since switching to AWD cars even though I now drive much more dangerous roads in much worse conditions.

You must be an exceptional driver. But to someone from Chicago I give the opposite advice: get AWD.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
RWD vs AWD doesn't make much of a difference RE traction while moving... That's mostly a function of the tires. (The slightly heavier AWD doesn't hurt though).

AWD makes a difference primarily when starting from a stop in icy/snowy conditions. That said, that's still very important for anyone that does frequency in the snow driving. Nothing worse than having to stop on a hill and not being able to get started again! I've gotten my model S (75D) stuck on ice once so far, and while it took a few minutes of turning the wheel back and forth while giving it a little gas, I was able to get it moving again using slip start. I would have been 100% stuck with RWD ;-)

Reactions: FlatSix911
My first accident ever was in the lower Cascades in a RWD Porsche because I misjudged the car's traction capabilities in a turn on slippery roads. My second accident farther up the mountain was a lot more serious.

I have never had an accident since switching to AWD cars even though I now drive much more dangerous roads in much worse conditions.

You must be an exceptional driver. But to someone from Chicago I give the opposite advice: get AWD.
Some might say that :) but my responses were from an average driver perspective. I’ve tried to forcefully upset the 3 in rain and snow and the stability control is very impressive. For most people who occasionally drive in light snow and rain I stand by the RWD being suitable. Essentially just trying to save people money. I personally think the decision if one wants AWD or not should primarily depend if they want the extra acceleration and possible release of additional range when the data comes out.

• Informative
Reactions: Blue in NC