Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info on surrounding traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just came back from a test drive of a model 3. I am strongly considering ordering, and went through the configuration options. I don't want Enhanced Auto Pilot, let alone Full Self Driving. However, without those options, I still expected to see lots of info on the screen about cars around me. I was on a highway, in the right lane, and drove a little slowly to see the feedback I got when a car came up on my left and then passed me. It seemed to me that I only got an indication that a car was nearby when it was about on my side. At that point, there was a red curve on the screen. When it pulled in front of me, although still in the left lane, there was an image of a car. If I was considering moving into the left lane, none of this information would have been helpful, or at least, additional to what I could easily see by turning my head slightly, or using my rearview mirrors. Was I missing something? Where is all of the assistance information to help me avoid a problem? I realized later that I had not used my left signal. If I had, would the information have then appeared on the screen as I expected? I don't want the car to take over. I just want the information easily in front of me so I can make good decisions.

Yes, this is a problem. Even economy cars now have some sort of effective blind spot warning. Tesla programmers need to get to work on this issue.

The other day a jacked-up pickup passed me on the left and I was watching the display - no proximity detection arcs at all. Normal cars usually show an arc, but usually it is too late (car is already beside my 3).

Tesla didn’t display any traffic with AP2 cars until recently and when they finally enabled that display I emailed them and suggested turning it OFF (as much as I love it) until we can count on it for proper blind spot detection and trustworthy display fidelity.

But I’m just an owner....

I agree, the blindspot detection and its display is worthless at this stage. All I get is a faint, grey arc on the left when there is a car coming up from behind and it shows up too late to be of any assistance. Even when it does show, the display is not visible enough to get my attention so I just use my mirror and turn my head to look. Depicting cars in front of me and those I am passing just shows me what I can already see.