Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Informal Warranty Rules

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
same for me for Smelly AC/cabin filter clean and replacements, but I was told about 12k/1 yr "rule" Unfortunately the smell has returned in month 13. I might just submit a request to see what happens .
Is there a fix out there for the smelly AC? New drain system or something?? I had filters replaced but another owner said they redesigned something for better drainage. ??

Is there a fix out there for the smelly AC? New drain system or something?? I had filters replaced but another owner said they redesigned something for better drainage. ??
Apparently there is an updated part plenum(?) but I think the biggest change was a firmware fix to keep the fan running 15 min after you turn off the car when the AC was running to prevent moisture from sitting and causing mildew to develop.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Apparently there is an updated part plenum(?) but I think the biggest change was a firmware fix to keep the fan running 15 min after you turn off the car when the AC was running to prevent moisture from sitting and causing mildew to develop.

anyone confirm the updated part TSB for 5/2019 build? or is it for newer models?

Interesting, I haven't seen much about rust issues besides the where the issue where some cars had a fender that was making contact with the A pillar on some cars and causing a bit of rust there. I believe those owners were able to have that repaired by Tesla under warranty.

Technically, the rust warranty is 12 years/ unlimited miles so I'm not sure what their argument must've been.
IMG_1001.jpeg IMG_0998.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0998.jpeg
    IMG_0998.jpeg
    739.6 KB · Views: 71
strange you rewarded them by buying a Y instead. Curious how they paid more for a trade though... did you put down a huge downpayment?

I don't see it as a reward. It is a great car that we love. But we'd be screwed on the resale outside of tesla. The Y really solves a lot of the problems of the 3.. .e.g. plastified rocker panels. 2018 m3, 19" LR AWD, no AP, with +26k mi sold for $35k.

For random little issues, I've had really good luck just bringing it up with my ranger/mobile service technician. They always ask at the end of the visit if there's anything else they can help with. Last visit I asked the guy to torque down my roof rack because if my roof cracked I wanted a Tesla employee to be doing the work! There were no issues, but I felt a lot better having him do it.

Heck, one of my mobile techs told me to save his number in case I ever had a problem. How's that for service?

Reactions: vickh
I don't see it as a reward. It is a great car that we love. But we'd be screwed on the resale outside of tesla. The Y really solves a lot of the problems of the 3.. .e.g. plastified rocker panels. 2018 m3, 19" LR AWD, no AP, with +26k mi sold for $35k.

that is a great trade in price! I thought Tesla generally low balled trades, esp their own. Maybe they're playing the same game as traditional dealers now i.e higher trade in price, higher new car price. Wonder what they'd offer for a 5/2019 build SR with 12k miles. Then again I'm waiting for the 3 row Y

Why don’t you have mudflaps fitted?
It was one of the very first accessory items I fitted to my car- and was in fact ordered well before I took delivery, and then fitted by me on the second day after delivery.
We don’t have salt and ice to deal with here, but I’d never own a car without mudflaps simply because road dirt and debris will virtually always sooner or later “sandblast” that area on any car unless something is fitted either by the factory, or you, to protect it.

• Disagree
Reactions: thewallaby
My car was delivered last May. I soon noticed a rattle in the front right door - something was rolling around in there. It was clearly covered by the warranty, but I figured I'd wait until something more significant happened before making the ~50 mile drive to the service center. But nothing ever did. Shortly before the 1 year anniversary, I had it fixed. They didn't make any comments about the timing.

My car was delivered last May. I soon noticed a rattle in the front right door - something was rolling around in there. It was clearly covered by the warranty, but I figured I'd wait until something more significant happened before making the ~50 mile drive to the service center. But nothing ever did. Shortly before the 1 year anniversary, I had it fixed. They didn't make any comments about the timing.
Correct.

that is a great trade in price! I thought Tesla generally low balled trades, esp their own. Maybe they're playing the same game as traditional dealers now i.e higher trade in price, higher new car price. Wonder what they'd offer for a 5/2019 build SR with 12k miles. Then again I'm waiting for the 3 row Y

Looking at the back of the Y... I can't fathom a third row..

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
These aren't rules- they're excuses lazy service centers might give until you ask for it in writing then suddenly they'll fix it.
That's some great advice right there. Amazing what can get done once you ask for stuff in writing. Works for a lot of stuff in life.

"So what you're saying then, is that you won't marry me? Can I get that in writing?" We celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary in July.

• Funny
Reactions: vickh