Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Information on Modifications to reservations

Should I be optimistic about an order change happening; deleting white interior & adding towing?

• Nope: nothing more to say

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks...

I placed an order for Model Y, AWD, long range, gemini wheels, white interior before the whole world fell apart. In the meantime Tesla has introduced the tow package for the same cost as the white interior.

I just got off the phone with someone from Tesla and asked to modify my order and add the tow package and delete the white interior making a wash cost wise. I am cautiously optimistic about her reply; production hasn't started again on Y and this will be sent to the production team to see if they can accommodate the change. When asked if it would be a better option to cancel the order and place a new one the rep was vague saying all she can do is place a note for desired modification but she advises people against doing that particularly since production has yet to restart.

The rep said I should receive a notification email in 3-4 weeks.

Anyone have insight into the modification process either now or prior to the world going on pause? Is cautious optimism reasonable or should I expect what I have already experienced from Tesla's customer experience of non-reply and like this vague non-answer.

Hope everyone is having a good day.
Jeff

One thing that’s wrong that raises doubt on anything else the Tesla rep stated — production definitely restarted on the Y, as multiple people have posted here (with photos) of their recent deliveries with May production dates.

This is just my two cents: there is no way to predict exactly what impact modifying your specific order will have. Could you have been next in line to receive a VIN with your original white interior config? Who knows.

The only thing you have control over is determine what’s important to you. If trading the white interior with the tow package to keep the total cost of your Y the same is important to you, you need to do it now. You can apparently add the tow package post-delivery, but you can’t uninstall the white interior and get refunded the $1k.

Reactions: Jeff Wa
I recently changed the color on my order. I was told that it may not necessarily set me back. Model Y's are scheduled to be built in batches. It just depends on when your new configuration is scheduled to be built. I believe you can also add the tow package at the service center, after the fact.

Reactions: Watts_Up
One thing that’s wrong that raises doubt on anything else the Tesla rep stated — production definitely restarted on the Y, as multiple people have posted here (with photos) of their recent deliveries with May production dates.

This is just my two cents: there is no way to predict exactly what impact modifying your specific order will have. Could you have been next in line to receive a VIN with your original white interior config? Who knows.

The only thing you have control over is determine what’s important to you. If trading the white interior with the tow package to keep the total cost of your Y the same is important to you, you need to do it now. You can apparently add the tow package post-delivery, but you can’t uninstall the white interior and get refunded the $1k.

And that was why I did it today, the bike carrier is more important especially with camp cancelled for the kids.
Thanks for the external validation :)

Jeff

Reactions: Twinmom425
I recently changed the color on my order. I was told that it may not necessarily set me back. Model Y's are scheduled to be built in batches. It just depends on when your new configuration is scheduled to be built. I believe you can also add the tow package at the service center, after the fact.

I was watching someone online install an aftermarket tow kit, much less money. I was having doubts on the white interior with 2 kids and since it was cost neutral I decided to have it installed at the factory instead of later or DIY aftermarket.

So, interesting thing happened after I posted this. I got a call from the regional Tesla shop about an hour after I got off the phone with the person at corporate. I had test driven a model 3 in November and was seriously considering it instead of waiting for the “coming soon” model Y. When the Y was released sooner than expected we bought that. Seems like an odd coincidence to me; the sales guy offered to help and send me his email, which he hasn’t done. Things that make you say, “hmmm.”

SO BREAKING NEWS (just put this on a different post too)...

My source code got a VIN tonight- I ordered in Mid Jan, 2020 a Blue MY, 19" with black interior and FSD. I added the TOW HITCH via chat about 2 days after it landed on the configurator. And again, I got VIN in my source code tonight.

That said- when does that turn into delivery?? who knows. BUT I wanted to give hope to those who added tow hitches. BTW- I'm in NY.

SO BREAKING NEWS (just put this on a different post too)...

My source code got a VIN tonight- I ordered in Mid Jan, 2020 a Blue MY, 19" with black interior and FSD. I added the TOW HITCH via chat about 2 days after it landed on the configurator. And again, I got VIN in my source code tonight.

That said- when does that turn into delivery?? who knows. BUT I wanted to give hope to those who added tow hitches. BTW- I'm in NY.
What source code?

I placed my original order in February 2020 and added the tow hitch by calling my local Tesla Center. I was assured that it would not put me back in line or anything and I just found my VIN in the source code this morning.

I placed my original order in February 2020 and added the tow hitch by calling my local Tesla Center. I was assured that it would not put me back in line or anything and I just found my VIN in the source code this morning.

Good Luck!... I got my VIN last Monday and MVPA on Tuesday 6/2 (also added Tow last April) but still not a single communication from Tesla... So good luck to us all!

Just got an email saying that the order is modified but also looks like my order date was pushed back to today from, well earlier than today. Wonder if I lost my place in the queue. Alas, no VIN either by manual search or using the extension that StanT mentioned. So be it.

Just got an email saying that the order is modified but also looks like my order date was pushed back to today from, well earlier than today. Wonder if I lost my place in the queue. Alas, no VIN either by manual search or using the extension that StanT mentioned. So be it.

I believe another member stated that the Order Date stays the same, but the date displayed just shows the last date that anything was changed to the order.

• Informative
I often checked source code for VIN, and did so a hour or so before I got the text to schedule delivery. Once I got the text, the VIN was in the source code, and my account page had the MVPA and the request for final payment info.
I'm wondering since my credit union's financing approval ends after thirty days and I have already had that happen once, should I wait for the VIN and then re-apply or do it now to cut down on the time. Any thoughts?
Jeff

I often checked source code for VIN, and did so a hour or so before I got the text to schedule delivery. Once I got the text, the VIN was in the source code, and my account page had the MVPA and the request for final payment info.

So that was me last week too... EXCEPT I haven't heard a peep from Tesla. That's what has me nervous/ wondering the timing because I found the VIN and MVPA like you last week, then I got everything all set on my own, but never ever once got a text, email or call from Tesla. They haven't said a single word and when I chatted with them they gave me an email address to ask about delivery and nothing but radio silence for nearly a week. No replies to any emails. So my confidence level of getting the car any time soon is very very low.

Good for you though!

Last edited: