Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Information regarding the Model 3 sound system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow Model 3 fans,

I know this is the internet so my factless post will be ignored by 99,9% of readers, but I have a tidbit of real information to share about the speakers in the Model 3.

My source being: I met a guy that works high up for a company that makes sound systems for cars. We are talking a supplier for Volkswagen group (Audi, Skoda, ...), Renault, Opel, Peugeot, Citroen, Ford, GM, ... and also Tesla.

Many of the soundsystems in cars are shared between vehicles, and dirt cheap to car makers because of the economies of scale.

When I heard he also supplied for Tesla I asked everything I could, and here is what he told me:

1) Tesla requires durability/quality tests that are up to 10x more demanding than other car brands. For example a speaker system is tested to play 100 hours non-stop at volume X. Tesla will require 1500 hours at an even higher volume. Their requirements seemed absurd to the guy, and are only matched by luxury brands such as Rolls Royce and Bentley.

2) The basic speaker system of the Model 3 is way better than a normal speaker system in, say, the BMW 3-series. You need to buy the optional speaker set in a BMW to get the quality of basic Model 3 speakers.

3) Model 3 will have a premium speaker option for a few grand extra that is top of the line.

4) The standard Model 3 speaker set will have a decently sized subwoofer in the back. He told me Watts and volume but I forgot these numbers since these mean little to me as I have no reference point. Either way, the guy knows alot about speakers and was very complimentary of the Model 3 speakers.

5) Last but not least: the final version of the speakers (for the production version of the Model 3) are being built in a factory in Mexico since february 2017 and have been shipping to Tesla already.

So this is one supplier Tesla shoudn't worry about to meet their july deadline ;-)

Well, @stopcrazypp, here is a positive rumor for you from a low-count poster. ;)
Thus, we might want to ignore it. Especially because the base and optional systems on our Model S and X are sooo outstanding!:rolleyes:
I find it highly unlikely that Tesla is spending a lot on sound, except in efforts to reduce energy consumption.
I make zero claim to know what will happen, but I'm trying to think logically. FWIW, I listened to the "Premium" system in my S while thinking about my response.

Thus, we might want to ignore it. Especially because the base and optional systems on our Model S and X are sooo outstanding!:rolleyes:
I find it highly unlikely that Tesla is spending a lot on sound, except in efforts to reduce energy consumption.
I make zero claim to know what will happen, but I'm trying to think logically. FWIW, I listened to the "Premium" system in my S while thinking about my response.

FWIW, in order of limited crapness, I guess the existing ones are: Model S base, Model S UHFS, Model X base, Model X UHFS... maybe the two in the middle swapping places depending on whom you talk to? Still, that is progress.

Model 3 soundsystem will be awesome. Internet told me so and, actually, I found it plausible.

Make your own. I made my own server to play 43tb of music. Have dragon software (play on linux) with speechmic. I can boot it up and play what I want and never have a disc/cd/ipod/etc. I don't even need the radio. I can add songs by wifi. Have a sound board inside to connect to amps. The server fits under the seat and speechmic cable in console. I would never use another radio as long as I live. Control it using chrome cast is my next step. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the speechmic and just use my phone, but in Linux easier said than done. Having issues with bluetooth compatibility. My whole system is around 20k nearly all music purchases. It's in the p90d right now. I'll need another for the 100d on order. I'll probably clone it, but the server alone will cost me 5-7k. Tesla sound system just won't be good enough for me. I like the dual 16" subs freeair lows and quad 10" mids also freeair and oct 6" highs custom installed. All have crossovers with 100hz overlap on frequency bands on 10 bar eq. Cartronics helped me with installation ("one of the best overall custom sound systems ever experienced in an automobile"). For the display just velcro an 8 inch screen to dash mini hdmi socket. disconnect the cable -take the screen and away it goes. When you're on the road as much as I am-it's heavenly to be able to hear what you want when you want and how you want. I could play movies easily too but that'd be distracting plus I love to drive anyways.
-Peter Gibbins Office Space - one great f'in movie.
I have the memo!
What if we're still doing this when we're 50?
Let me tell you something about those TPS reports-ugnhh
In a given day I probably do about 2 hrs of real actual work. Oh hi Bob and Bob.
What would you do if you had a million dollars? Buy a Tesla or 2 chics as the same time.
I want to take you out for dinner then watch kung fu-you ever watch kung fu?
Michael you said this was gonna take yrs not a weekend!
Lawrence can you pretend that we can't hear through the wall.
Lawrence if you're having a really bad day does anyone tell you you've got a case of the Mondays?

Dang what a great movie. Loving my 3 days off.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
I wonder if your source was yanking your chain. I can't see Tesla spending that much money on the speakers for the model 3 when they are probably trying to shave as much money off of their cost as they can. The only way I see that happening is if they are the same as the speakers going into the S and/or the X and they can get decent prices through volume.

Make your own. I made my own server to play 43tb of music. Have dragon software (play on linux) with speechmic. I can boot it up and play what I want and never have a disc/cd/ipod/etc. I don't even need the radio. I can add songs by wifi. Have a sound board inside to connect to amps. The server fits under the seat and speechmic cable in console. I would never use another radio as long as I live. Control it using chrome cast is my next step. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the speechmic and just use my phone, but in Linux easier said than done. Having issues with bluetooth compatibility. My whole system is around 20k nearly all music purchases. It's in the p90d right now. I'll need another for the 100d on order. I'll probably clone it, but the server alone will cost me 5-7k. Tesla sound system just won't be good enough for me. I like the dual 16" subs freeair lows and quad 10" mids also freeair and oct 6" highs custom installed. All have crossovers with 100hz overlap on frequency bands on 10 bar eq. Cartronics helped me with installation ("one of the best overall custom sound systems ever experienced in an automobile"). For the display just velcro an 8 inch screen to dash mini hdmi socket. disconnect the cable -take the screen and away it goes. When you're on the road as much as I am-it's heavenly to be able to hear what you want when you want and how you want. I could play movies easily too but that'd be distracting plus I love to drive anyways.
-Peter Gibbins Office Space - one great f'in movie.
I have the memo!
What if we're still doing this when we're 50?
Let me tell you something about those TPS reports-ugnhh
In a given day I probably do about 2 hrs of real actual work. Oh hi Bob and Bob.
What would you do if you had a million dollars? Buy a Tesla or 2 chics as the same time.
I want to take you out for dinner then watch kung fu-you ever watch kung fu?
Michael you said this was gonna take yrs not a weekend!
Lawrence can you pretend that we can't hear through the wall.
Lawrence if you're having a really bad day does anyone tell you you've got a case of the Mondays?

Dang what a great movie. Loving my 3 days off.
@tsla007 ssshhhhhh, shhhhh, go waste your time elsewhere
.... Heck they can leave the speakers, stereo, all electric gizmos and much more out of my car. I don't care for cow bells. AP-nope don't want it-won't pay for it. P or L - don't want it. ....

Although we can't confirm if these rumors about the sound system are true, its definitely plausible and I hope its true (especially a sub with base version)

Reactions: melindav
I was aware before posting that my story would be dismissed, considering my low post count and all. I'm just a forum lurker more than a poster.

Regarding the sound system, I can only truthfully reproduce what this guy told me. Was he yanking my chain? Maybe. Just wanted to share for the rumor collecting fans.

About the demanding tests though, the guy didn't say that Tesla has very high quality speakers in the base model. He just said they were way better than the norm, the norm in other brands base models being crap.

Tesla Model 3 will compete directly with BMW 3-series saloon.
BMW offers 3 audio levels for 3-series.
Base audio, at no extra cost (N/A in US)
HiFi, costing 400€, 9 speakers total 205W
HiFi from Harman-Kardon, costing 1100€, 16 speakers total 600W of power.

5-series offers one more upgrade level Bowers&Wilkins, costing 4700€.

I believe Model 3 will offer only one upgrade level and it will cost no more than
BMW 3-series second level upgrade for 1100€ (if it will be stand-alone option)
I believe Model 3 will have one main harness design for both audio trims (not like BMW)
I don't think sub-woofer will be available in base trim. Though with upgraded amplifier.
Due to promised "simple short wiring on M3" I think they will install sub-woofers under the seats,
like with 3-series, or one between front seats (instead of transmission tunnel).
There is a possibility that premium audio will be stacked up with premium package. And the possible
explanation is that base M3 will have manual seats with no woofers under, premium electric with woofer(s).

Base audio in BMW 3-series is crap. First 400€ upgrade goes from crap to very good instantly.
If rumors are correct, Tesla might use the "very good" option as a standard. It doesn't actually cost much
in higher volume. At the same time upgraded audio must be desirable. This is why I expect no sub-woofers in base.
Nissan Leaf base audio is crap. Bose upgrade goes from crap to very good. Not a stand-alone option though.