Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Information regarding the Model 3 sound system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Europe (things may be different in the US) the Hyundai Ioniq 'base' audio is Infinity-branded with subwoofer (and actually sounds frustratingly good compared to Tesla UHFS :confused:). Actually there is only one 'options pack' @ 2000 EUR (leather heated seats with memory etc.) and apart from that, you can only choose exterior color (four choices only), and whether you want winter tires and a charging cable!

Probably makes a lot of sense from the point of view of streamlining production.

Could be the way Tesla is heading with the M3 as well.

(on the other hand, if Tesla wants MS/MX to remain their flagships 'in all respects', we're going to have quite crappy audio in the M3 unless Tesla upgrades MS/MX base audio in the near future... Let's stay optimistic)

An upgraded sound system is of interest to me and probably something I'll spend on. But I don't see it as one of those things that can't be as good as the S/X. Someone looking for a better sound system who can't find it in the 3 is not going to jump up to the S/X just for that.

From working with car audio in my younger days, I know that for the same money needed to buy a better factory audio system (let's call it $2k for the sake of ease), a person can get a killer system installed at a local pro shop. But here's my major concern - if the car is purchased with the base audio system, will the holes/mounting tabs used in the better system still be available in the car? If an audio installer has to drill metal and make space (or mounting pods), that ups the cost of an aftermarket system real fast.

(on the other hand, if Tesla wants MS/MX to remain their flagships 'in all respects', we're going to have quite crappy audio in the M3 unless Tesla upgrades MS/MX base audio in the near future... Let's stay optimistic)

There might be an update. Tesla said they're working with "their suppliers" to upgrade the Model S headlights after they got a "Poor" safety rating from the IIHS.

The 2017 Model S isn’t available with anything other than poor-rated headlights. Tesla says it is working with its supplier to improve the headlights, and IIHS will evaluate the new ones when they are available.

The HID -> LED transition came with the facelift (right?). So, maybe the "Poor-rated" LED -> "Good-rated" LED headlight transition will be in the update?

---------

Or not. They'll just switch the headlights in some random upcoming week because they're focused on the Model 3.

Hello fellow Model 3 fans,

I know this is the internet so my factless post will be ignored by 99,9% of readers, but I have a tidbit of real information to share about the speakers in the Model 3.

My source being: I met a guy that works high up for a company that makes sound systems for cars. We are talking a supplier for Volkswagen group (Audi, Skoda, ...), Renault, Opel, Peugeot, Citroen, Ford, GM, ... and also Tesla.

Many of the soundsystems in cars are shared between vehicles, and dirt cheap to car makers because of the economies of scale.

When I heard he also supplied for Tesla I asked everything I could, and here is what he told me:

1) Tesla requires durability/quality tests that are up to 10x more demanding than other car brands. For example a speaker system is tested to play 100 hours non-stop at volume X. Tesla will require 1500 hours at an even higher volume. Their requirements seemed absurd to the guy, and are only matched by luxury brands such as Rolls Royce and Bentley.

2) The basic speaker system of the Model 3 is way better than a normal speaker system in, say, the BMW 3-series. You need to buy the optional speaker set in a BMW to get the quality of basic Model 3 speakers.

3) Model 3 will have a premium speaker option for a few grand extra that is top of the line.

4) The standard Model 3 speaker set will have a decently sized subwoofer in the back. He told me Watts and volume but I forgot these numbers since these mean little to me as I have no reference point. Either way, the guy knows alot about speakers and was very complimentary of the Model 3 speakers.

5) Last but not least: the final version of the speakers (for the production version of the Model 3) are being built in a factory in Mexico since february 2017 and have been shipping to Tesla already.

So this is one supplier Tesla shoudn't worry about to meet their july deadline ;-)

Is that it? First no HUD, now no mention of the volume control going to eleven.

Bump.

Now we know that the PUP includes a 15-speaker sound system which means it's probably more similar to the excellent 17-speaker Model X premium sound system than to the "ok" 11-speaker Model S premium sound system.

Anyone know if the 7-speaker standard sound system includes a subwoofer?

I'd expect so simply because it's an odd number. It's either a sub or a centre speaker, and the former seems far more likely.
Why do you think a sub is more likely than a center speaker in the dash? Aside from the obvious uses for music, a center dash speaker can be used for responding to the driver's voice commands and telephone calls.

I'm not sure I agree or disagree with you. Just want to know why you think that.

A center channel is only needed to center voice on a screen. Optimist might interpret this design as part of video on the main screen during level 3 and higher.

But the odd speaker is a subwoofer because an odd number is always a subwoofer. I'm optimistic that the premium sound system is good. It would be rather stupid to pull all that wire (gasp) and not have a great system.

A center channel is only needed to center voice on a screen. Optimist might interpret this design as part of video on the main screen during level 3 and higher.

But the odd speaker is a subwoofer because an odd number is always a subwoofer. I'm optimistic that the premium sound system is good. It would be rather stupid to pull all that wire (gasp) and not have a great system.

Using "center" channel speakers in car audio has been going on for about 15 years now. It has nothing to do with home theater.

Using "center" channel speakers in car audio has been going on for about 15 years now. It has nothing to do with home theater.

Thanks to digital audio, the center channel can be "virtual" anyway, i.e. you set the "sweet spot" and the front speakers focus the sound on that spot.

My Audi already does this for phone calls. the front speakers can be adjusted for phone calls and surround sound.