Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Information regarding the Model 3 sound system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you think a sub is more likely than a center speaker in the dash? Aside from the obvious uses for music, a center dash speaker can be used for responding to the driver's voice commands and telephone calls.

I'm not sure I agree or disagree with you. Just want to know why you think that.

My reasoning is that it appears there's already a lot of speakers near the driver (door, A pillar, roof) so I don't see the justification for a centre speaker. A pillar speakers probably already make for a great phone call/voice command experience.

Sub on the other hand would boost the bass, which most buyers confuse for good quality. Personally I wish the whole "more bass = better" thing would die, but it is what it is in the consumer market. Boomy bass will sell more premium packages. (I personally have a stereo no sub system at home and think it's perfect, even $1k high quality stereo speakers they have plenty of bass for an accurate reproduction).

Looking forward to hearing this system. Hopefully someone will post a review of it soon. I really like that there are 15 for the upgraded. In the press release pictures I can see 8 speakers. 1 in the A pillar on the corner of the door next to the side mirror, 1 above that in the ceiling pillar at the top of the windshield, 1 in the bottom of the Front Door and one in the rear door just behind the drivers seat. I am excited for the speaker in the ceiling above the driver and passenger at the top of the windshield that should help provide more surround-sound. There are definitely no more speakers built into the dash of the Model 3 up front. I suspect one sub in the trunk and 6 more speakers on the rear deck.

Oh and BTW I have a B&W 683 System at my house... have you seen the Volvo S90 & XC90 with the B&W system... OMG so jealous! Gotta go listen to it...

Here are all the photos from the Press Kit...

https://teslamotors.box.com/pressfiles
Password: tesla1press

Looking forward to hearing this system. Hopefully someone will post a review of it soon. I really like that there are 15 for the upgraded. In the press release pictures I can see 8 speakers. 1 in the A pillar on the corner of the door next to the side mirror, 1 above that in the ceiling pillar at the top of the windshield, 1 in the bottom of the Front Door and one in the rear door just behind the drivers seat. I am excited for the speaker in the ceiling above the driver and passenger at the top of the windshield that should help provide more surround-sound. There are definitely no more speakers built into the dash of the Model 3 up front. I suspect one sub in the trunk and 6 more speakers on the rear deck.

Oh and BTW I have a B&W 683 System at my house... have you seen the Volvo S90 & XC90 with the B&W system... OMG so jealous! Gotta go listen to it...

Here are all the photos from the Press Kit...

https://teslamotors.box.com/pressfiles
Password: tesla1press

Most likely a lot of the locations have probably more than one speaker behind the grill. It wouldn't surprise me if there were 2 speakers behind each grill in the doors.

My wife's Odyssey is a Elite which has the upgraded sound and it is a night and day difference from our last van. I can hear banjos in my wife's country music that I didn't even know was there. I definitely was planning on getting upgraded sound so if it is as good as my wife's car I'll be happy. I just want it to be clear.

PS: I was in Heathrow and they were playing a B&W bluetooth speaker loud in one of the stores and the sound was so amazing I couldn't believe it. I went to find out exactly what was playing the music. Usually I ignore those shops. I had a NAD bluetooth speaker and it is pretty impressive.

My wife's Odyssey is a Elite which has the upgraded sound and it is a night and day difference from our last van. I can hear banjos in my wife's country music that I didn't even know was there. I definitely was planning on getting upgraded sound so if it is as good as my wife's car I'll be happy. I just want it to be clear.
Frankly, I would paddle faster....

I have had a chance to listen to audio a bit in the S, X, and 3

Just giving some vague descriptions since I didn't listen long enough or to enough variety to have a very strong opinion, but:

Model S: OK
Model X: Amazing
Model 3 w/PUP: Very nice

Not bad for the price, but I think the best is still reserved for the X.

Another interesting thing (not good) about the M3 premium audio is that it has neither AM nor XM radios. Just FM. And streaming.

It's not clear the USB ports will read flash drives for playing from that media.

Tesla has confirmed no AM. I have only heard second hand that there is no XM.

Model X sound came close to giving me goosebumps.
Model 3 sound was pleasant, but didn't awe me the same way.
But again, only a very brief experience with both.

Speaking of Skrillex, I have rewatched this video so many times:

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
Make your own. I made my own server to play 43tb of music. Have dragon software (play on linux) with speechmic. I can boot it up and play what I want and never have a disc/cd/ipod/etc. I don't even need the radio. I can add songs by wifi. Have a sound board inside to connect to amps. The server fits under the seat and speechmic cable in console. I would never use another radio as long as I live. Control it using chrome cast is my next step. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the speechmic and just use my phone, but in Linux easier said than done. Having issues with bluetooth compatibility. My whole system is around 20k nearly all music purchases. It's in the p90d right now. I'll need another for the 100d on order. I'll probably clone it, but the server alone will cost me 5-7k. Tesla sound system just won't be good enough for me. I like the dual 16" subs freeair lows and quad 10" mids also freeair and oct 6" highs custom installed. All have crossovers with 100hz overlap on frequency bands on 10 bar eq. Cartronics helped me with installation ("one of the best overall custom sound systems ever experienced in an automobile"). For the display just velcro an 8 inch screen to dash mini hdmi socket. disconnect the cable -take the screen and away it goes. When you're on the road as much as I am-it's heavenly to be able to hear what you want when you want and how you want. I could play movies easily too but that'd be distracting plus I love to drive anyways.
-Peter Gibbins Office Space - one great f'in movie.
I have the memo!
What if we're still doing this when we're 50?
Let me tell you something about those TPS reports-ugnhh
In a given day I probably do about 2 hrs of real actual work. Oh hi Bob and Bob.
What would you do if you had a million dollars? Buy a Tesla or 2 chics as the same time.
I want to take you out for dinner then watch kung fu-you ever watch kung fu?
Michael you said this was gonna take yrs not a weekend!
Lawrence can you pretend that we can't hear through the wall.
Lawrence if you're having a really bad day does anyone tell you you've got a case of the Mondays?

Dang what a great movie. Loving my 3 days off.
This is amazing. I am so done paying for streaming services that provide music on the go that I already have and own at home. Wouldn't it be awesome if we could stream our home server music over the web or cell to anywhere we happen to go?

I have ZERO use for FM, AM or XM. Everything I need I stream or bring with me.
I'm with you. Radio audio Quality bites and never plays what you want to hear.
Streaming is just as bad in terms of audio quality. Not to mention, why would people pay for music?! Makes no sense. You download music and you still want to pay a monthly fee for music?!
Everything I ever want to listen too is on my phone. Majority in full lossless format.