Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Information to get HPWCs installed in my apartment complex?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I have an early non-D, non-Performance Model 3 reservation coming, and since I live in a big apartment complex, on the second floor, with my car parked right outside, charging it won't be the easiest thing in the world to do.

Today I had the idea to go by the office and ask if they had any plans to install EV chargers for the residents, and naturally, they were completely clueless about it.

I found this page on the Tesla website:

Destination Charging

I could print it off and give it to them to see if they'd get 2 HPWCs approved, but is there a better information packet or something else that I can print out that would make it easier for people totally clueless to EVs to understand?

As I understand it, the HPWCs would be free, and would the apartment complex get some sort of tax credit to offset the cost of installation?

It just so happens that the big power pole transformer and nearest buildings' power meter are all within 60-70 feet of where the chargers would be located, so that ought to minimize the cost.

I worked with the HOA in my condominium to successfully get one put in... it wasn't too hard but it did require a lot of research... here are some tips that I picked up on:

1) Do not assume a Tesla charger is the way to go... If you get a J1772 it will mean that most EVs and plug-in hybrids can use it and it'll get much more buy in.

2) My understanding is that destination charging is about businesses. Typically condos/apartments are not classified as businesses rather than multi-family dwellings. I am unsure as to whether destination chargers for free would apply, although maybe they would; worth checking!

3) The closest you can get to the 240V circuit breakers the better.

4) The cheapest option I found was the Clipper Creek range, which can have a charge guard accessory added which provides key control that the HOA can use to control access (i.e. rent a key for X$ per month)

5) Check your letting contract or HOA bylaws as to whether parking can be allocated. If you have a deeded space you should be able to add a charger to your space. If you have non-deeded but allocated the HOA need to agree to it, and most likely you'll have to pay. If you have open parking then it gets complicated; I managed to get the charger installed but with the proviso that the spaces cannot be reserved. With that said if you locate it correctly you probably can reach 3-4 spaces with the length of cable and hopefully one would be open when you need it.

6) There are state/federal tax rebates. In addition check for rebates from the electrical supply company.

7) There may be an issue with how much power you use. A cheap meter is a couple of hundred dollars and might help elevate concerns.

8) Finally good luck! People dont really seem to "get" charging but since I convinced the HOA to put one in, one person has realised he can buy a Leaf and another is in the process of getting a plug in hybrid!

I worked with the HOA in my condominium to successfully get one put in... it wasn't too hard but it did require a lot of research... here are some tips that I picked up on:

1) Do not assume a Tesla charger is the way to go... If you get a J1772 it will mean that most EVs and plug-in hybrids can use it and it'll get much more buy in.

2) My understanding is that destination charging is about businesses. Typically condos/apartments are not classified as businesses rather than multi-family dwellings. I am unsure as to whether destination chargers for free would apply, although maybe they would; worth checking!

3) The closest you can get to the 240V circuit breakers the better.

4) The cheapest option I found was the Clipper Creek range, which can have a charge guard accessory added which provides key control that the HOA can use to control access (i.e. rent a key for X$ per month)

5) Check your letting contract or HOA bylaws as to whether parking can be allocated. If you have a deeded space you should be able to add a charger to your space. If you have non-deeded but allocated the HOA need to agree to it, and most likely you'll have to pay. If you have open parking then it gets complicated; I managed to get the charger installed but with the proviso that the spaces cannot be reserved. With that said if you locate it correctly you probably can reach 3-4 spaces with the length of cable and hopefully one would be open when you need it.

6) There are state/federal tax rebates. In addition check for rebates from the electrical supply company.

7) There may be an issue with how much power you use. A cheap meter is a couple of hundred dollars and might help elevate concerns.

8) Finally good luck! People dont really seem to "get" charging but since I convinced the HOA to put one in, one person has realised he can buy a Leaf and another is in the process of getting a plug in hybrid!

I would just add that you will need patience - it took over 2 years to convince my HOA to install two J1772 chargers that are available to all residents. The selling point was the "amenity" value added to our building.

There's an NRG EV charging station not far from here, which has Chademo and the "SAE Combo", which I believe is the CCS, connectors on it.

If Tesla approved a couple HPWCs and we got a J1772 charger here, we'd have every type of EV charging within a mile, and it is needed, as there aren't any Superchargers anywhere near downtown Pittsburgh, Tesla really dropped the ball on that. The only Supercharger near me is 20+ miles away, up in Cranberry Twp, PA.

Having seen the people around here, it is no surprise to me at all that they don't know the first thing about Teslas and other EVs.

I worked with the HOA in my condominium to successfully get one put in...
it wasn't too hard but it did require a lot of research...
here are some tips that I picked up on:...
I wonder how did you handled the $1 million liability insurance issue?
- Who pay for it?
- How much does it cost?

Tesla Forum: Urgent need for comments on HOA EV charging rules
"5. The Owner applicant, and each successive Owner of the Owner applicant’s Unit,
shall maintain at all times for as long as they are an Owner of the Unit,
an umbrella liability coverage policy in the amount of one million dollars ($1,000,000)
covering the obligations of the Owner under paragraph (4),
and shall name the Association as an additional insured under
the policy with a right to notice of cancellation."

@timk225, destination charging program is to facilitate travel, with HPWCs and stipend for installation given mostly to hotels, tourist attractions, etc., hence the term "destination". I'm afraid your apartment complex is going to have to buy HPWCs or more likely J1772s like all the others do. It would make more sense for them to install J1772s so all EVs can use them.

Reactions: infidel82
I wonder how did you handled the $1 million liability insurance issue?
- Who pay for it?
- How much does it cost?

Tesla Forum: Urgent need for comments on HOA EV charging rules
"5. The Owner applicant, and each successive Owner of the Owner applicant’s Unit,
shall maintain at all times for as long as they are an Owner of the Unit,
an umbrella liability coverage policy in the amount of one million dollars ($1,000,000)
covering the obligations of the Owner under paragraph (4),
and shall name the Association as an additional insured under
the policy with a right to notice of cancellation."

I think this is only for when a EV charger is applied to deeded parking spot (this did not apply to me/my hoa). I would imagine that if it is deeded it is part of the property (i.e. the condominium living space and the parking area are the property of the owner). That would put the liability coverage under the condo unit, and pretty much all condo unit policies will have 1M liability as most HOAs require that minimum coverage.

I think this is only for when a EV charger is applied to deeded parking spot (this did not apply to me/my hoa). I would imagine that if it is deeded it is part of the property (i.e. the condominium living space and the parking area are the property of the owner). That would put the liability coverage under the condo unit, and pretty much all condo unit policies will have 1M liability as most HOAs require that minimum coverage.
Who then pay for the electricity?
Do you have designated spot?
Is there a separate meter for each plug?

Last edited:
I

As I understand it, the HPWCs would be free, and would the apartment complex get some sort of tax credit to offset the cost of installation?

It just so happens that the big power pole transformer and nearest buildings' power meter are all within 60-70 feet of where the chargers would be located, so that ought to minimize the cost.

Destination charging installations are meant to help hotels lure Tesla owners to their accommodations and, to a lesser extent, provide an incentive to prospective Tesla buyers who might be concerned about traveling. I don't think that Tesla would see you apartment complex as a destination charger site since non-resident Tesla owners would probably not be welcome to charge there free.

There is no longer a 30% tax credit for installing EVSEs. That ran out at the end of 2016. (PV installations, on the other hand, continue to enjoy 30% tax credit through 2019)

The location of the power pole transformer is of no consequence, since it is unmetered. The "nearest building's power meter" may be a gang of meters for the various apartments in the building. Which one of those tenants would volunteer to pick up the tab for all of the EVs charging? (Maybe you could contract with United Airlines to select a volunteer? :))

Only the distance to the nearest circuit breaker panel that is fed by a meter billing the apartment management's house power would matter. Of course, It might be possible to install a new meter and panel on that nearest building with a separate billing account.