Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainment Upgrade $2000 for AP2.0/2.5, $1500 for Older Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SC today told me the MCU2 upgrade is $1800 for my 2014 Model S about a week after I asked for them to install it. I didn't ask for radio and I already have LTE (if that should make a difference). I said they were incorrect, that it is $1500. The Tesla webpage here Infotainment Upgrade indicates for all other vehicles other than AP 2 or 2.5 (I don't have any AP or hardware for it) that the price is $1500. When I asked to purchase about a week ago, they told me $1500. Do you think I can get them to honor the advertised price?

I am happy to report that the SC resolved the issue and I received a new upgrade agreement with the correct price of $1500 today. One thing I'd like to note, for all the complaints that I may have had over the years, there isn't a time I can think of where I was not eventually satisfied with the final outcome. I am a happy Tesla customer.

So here is what happened, I think. Let this serve as a warning to others. Somehow, Tesla got it into their head/system that I had an Auto Pilot 2.0 computer. I was on a chat with Tesla and they told me that this is why it was $1800. They pointed to the page and said that it doesn't say hardware, it says computer: "This upgrade is available for $2,000 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,500 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles." They said that that my SC actually had a lower price than it should have been, that it should have been $2000.

I am happy to report that the SC resolved the issue and I received a new upgrade agreement with the correct price of $1500 today. One thing I'd like to note, for all the complaints that I may have had over the years, there isn't a time I can think of where I was not eventually satisfied with the final outcome. I am a happy Tesla customer.

So here is what happened, I think. Let this serve as a warning to others. Somehow, Tesla got it into their head/system that I had an Auto Pilot 2.0 computer. I was on a chat with Tesla and they told me that this is why it was $1800. They pointed to the page and said that it doesn't say hardware, it says computer: "This upgrade is available for $2,000 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,500 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles." They said that that my SC actually had a lower price than it should have been, that it should have been $2000.
Do infotainment upgrades on 2017 Model X's get Intel or AMD chip?

Does the MUC2 upgrade let you record/view Sentry mode videos? I don’t have FSD. Just EAP.
It lets you record Sentry mode videos and view them on the screen. However, Legacy S/X cannot view video remotely unfortunately. I think they replace the AP2.0 computer to the AP3.0 at the same time as the MCU2 retrofit, hence it costs $2000 instead of $1500 for those who did not pay for FSD.

Reactions: RyanS