Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainment upgrade includes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, but I have yet to find the hardware parts the come in the upgrade? At the SC yesterday the desk clerk told me I get BOTH new screens, and MCU cost $1500. And the new 4g modem cost $200 . I got a witness. I walked outside to car and came back. I asked again, the other desk clerk said if I have LTE now I don't need to buy new modem. I reminded him I have a 2012 made car. He ordered kit, said it takes month to receive it. I have appointment 5 January for installation.
The reason I'm asking is both of my screens have been leaking for years. They told me $3k for both new screens. Now they say 2 new screens, and MCU for $1500. I have zero trust in them after 5 years of their BS.
Let me say this, since 2017, not one software update or patch has ever improved my car. Never ever once. I have hundreds of pages in the Vin files. Microsoft will tell you, you can't jam a 2021 OS in a 8 year Computer. Oh, I'm a computer science professor.
Thanks ahead for any information on the parts included in purchase.

And the new 4g modem cost $200 .
LTE upgrade is $200

Now they say 2 new screens, and MCU for $1500.

That is correct. Both screens replaced and new MCU

You don't have to pay for the LTE upgrade if you go with the Infotainment Upgrade as the new MCU includes it already. And yes it includes both screens. Though add $500 if you want to keep FM/XM.
SA said you lose FM radio. I researched and it's due to the analog cable in older cars not being compatible with the digital cable in MCU2. I'm assuming the $500 you are referring to is for the digital cable? SA never offered that option.

SA said you lose FM radio. I researched and it's due to the analog cable in older cars not being compatible with the digital cable in MCU2. I'm assuming the $500 you are referring to is for the digital cable? SA never offered that option.
It isn't just a cable, but a tuner as well. It is shown on the information page on the Tesla site: Infotainment Upgrade

Is there any way to keep access to AM, FM and Sirius XM radio?
Yes. Tesla offers an additional Radio Upgrade, including the installation of a compatible radio tuner and antennas, that allows customers to retain access to FM radio and Sirius XM radio. It is not possible to retain access to AM radio.

Note: Sirius XM radio is only available on vehicles with existing XM radio antennas and requires an additional subscription.

My vehicle has already undergone an Infotainment Upgrade. Is it possible for me to purchase the Radio Upgrade?
Yes. The purchase and installation of the Radio Upgrade is available for vehicles that have already undergone Infotainment Upgrade. For vehicles that have not yet undergone an Infotainment Upgrade, we recommend having both the Infotainment Upgrade and Radio Upgrade installation performed at the same time. The Radio Upgrade costs an additional $500 plus applicable tax and there is no difference in price if you have the Radio Upgrade and Infotainment Upgrade installed separately or together.

My 2013 model Sbcame with lifetime internet but now I'm being told I need to pay 200 for the modem upgrade? Does anyone know if you have tonpay the 200 or should it be free because the car came with lifetime internet?

If your icon does not say LTE the antenna is too old. They went out checking mine. He said I didn't need to buy new antenna. You still have internet.
This is same situation as when they upgraded my software, my charge port didn't work. Pop $600 twice. The the TPMS didn't work after upgrade.pop they want $1600 for new TPMS system. No. I don't need it.
One upgrade took away my USB access port, no more music from my zip drive😭.
I don't we should have to pay to keep car up with software update.

Hold onto your seats. Remember I ordered upgrade in first week of December?? Schedule replacement for 5 January. Left car on 5 January. App said car would be ready 7 Jan at 5pm. I went in at 4pm. ""Oh. Sorry your isn't ready. CHIPS we got in don't work""". To keep from exploding in the service center I just left. So, apparently they are changing chips in old MCU? And not replacing the entire MCU? I've had two heart attacks, so my brain said get out of here before I have another. Now app says car ready on 14 Jan.
Any advice on how to tell what's going on??? They lie so much, who knows what the real truth is???

My 2013 Model S infotainment console is an MCU1. Since December, the center console has been off (in most cases) when a startup the car after it sits cold for more than a few hours. I attribute the MCU being off to the cold at least. After the car is driven for 15-30 mins, it often boots up and is fully functional.

Lately and in addition to the now regular issues with the MCU, the chargeport no longer seems to respond to the button on the travel charger and requires opening from the MCU. Sometimes the entire MCU seems to be functional, but the settings menu operation to open the charge port door fails (at least for a few mins until it finally succeeds). This tends to be a more common issue lately if the car hasn't been out for a drive longer than 20/30 mins.

I went to a service center recently, for an unrelated issue, and asked about the problems with the MCU operation. The clerk suggested the infotainment update. I'm not sure if the upgrade will fix the unresponsive charge port door, even though that was the focus of my question at the SC. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Well, you have two options. If you haven’t yet done that eMMC recall that Tesla announced some time ago then this will preserve the car and systems as you currently have. They will clear up the accumulated memory from the computer and they will update the SW and navigation for the latest. You will loose all the navigation history and probably also your saved trip data. Basically like Factory Reset. This will take them at least one day as the SW installation is quite demanding for the service. You will get the systems operation as it was back then when purchased the car but do know this new SW installation will pop up some new errors or even stop some of the connected devices from working (you have noted the problems with charge port). Also your navigation system might need new version to be uploaded. As your car is from 2013 then the connection might also halt. It might need new hardware (LTE) as the car will no longer support 3G.
I did this and they had quite some trouble to get it ready for the next day and my navigation data never uploaded in the first place so needed to return a week later for this to get done properly. I still have FM/AM radio and I still can use the browser, although I only use this on for wind data on my route. I did tried once Teslawaze on the browser but as this site is also handling navigation then two consecutive routing functions on one computer is too much to comply. By the way this recall is free of charge!
Second option is to ask infotainment update as you been pointed at. This will also take almost two days and they will change the central MCU and IC to new one, you will loose AM radio and if you need XM then there is additional option for it. Within the charge is all the labor, you only need to pay for the new items. But as it’s was clear with @Lasttoy there comes some additional costs as the new set of computer does no longer function with old type of HW on the car. Goos luck!