Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainment Upgrade question about satellite radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I have a 2016 model S. I’m thinking about getting the upgraded infotainment package. I know I’ll lose local radio, and I’m okay with that. However, I have satellite radio and navigation for the life of the car. I’d like to know from someone who has upgraded if I will lose those. I asked the service tech at the Tesla shop, and he said he didn’t know and that I should call customer service. I called customer service, and they said they didn’t know and I should ask the service tech. So I thought this forum might be a better way to get a straight answer.

Streaming services (Slacker/TuneIn/Spotify) will remain as will your premium connectivity.

You will lose AM, FM, and XM radio unless you opt to include the radio upgrade as part of the infotainment upgrade (I believe it's an additional $500). Doing that will allow you to keep FM and XM. AM radio is not available on the upgraded infotainment unit.

Hello. I have a 2016 model S. I’m thinking about getting the upgraded infotainment package. I know I’ll lose local radio, and I’m okay with that. However, I have satellite radio and navigation for the life of the car. I’d like to know from someone who has upgraded if I will lose those. I asked the service tech at the Tesla shop, and he said he didn’t know and that I should call customer service. I called customer service, and they said they didn’t know and I should ask the service tech. So I thought this forum might be a better way to get a straight answer.
Navigation is done over the cellular radio connection. You currently have an analog radio that does AM, FM, and XM.
You buy a digital radio upgrade for $500. It will include FM and XM. AM is gone. The XM radio will have a different ID. I cancelled my subscription to XM before I did the upgrade. The "new" XM radio came with a 3 month demo period. Then I subscribed to XM on my family plan.

Reactions: MP3Mike