Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainment Upgrade taking MONTHS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I requested Infotainment upgrade in April. My service appointment was just pushed back for the 5th or 6th time to 7 July. Not confident I'll actually be able to get the upgrade, honestly; SC has no information on parts availability.

I did opt for the radio upgrade, as well, but they already have that part. The part proving difficult to procure is one needed for the core upgrade. Appears to be the (Atom-based) compute module, but I obviously don't know Tesla's part numbers. They just showed me what they were seeing in inventory super briefly.

Anyone have any recent experience or tips to getting this done more quickly?

Also received the dreaded 12v battery warning, yesterday. Took it to the SC, but they called me back this morning to tell me they don't have one.
Holy *sugar*, how is this not getting better? At least they're "trying" to find a loaner for me.

I had a similar experience. My SC said they are needing to reschedule the upgrade a lot. I assume there is a supply chain issue and the entire country is pretty much out of the part. Or maybe the part is being used in new cars. I plan to wait a few months and check back to see if the issue has changed. Also my SC said they would email me when the part situation returns to normal. Tesla should not make appointments for upgrades with the inadequate part situation.

I had a similar experience. My SC said they are needing to reschedule the upgrade a lot. I assume there is a supply chain issue and the entire country is pretty much out of the part. Or maybe the part is being used in new cars. I plan to wait a few months and check back to see if the issue has changed. Also my SC said they would email me when the part situation returns to normal. Tesla should not make appointments for upgrades with the inadequate part situation.
MCU 2 is not being spec'd on new Teslas, anymore. That's actually what has me so worried. If I can't get the upgrade, MCU1 will hobble my car both in value AND usability. Seriously, I never could have imagined MCU 1 could be this bad.

Laggy as hell and reboots often without warning.

I'm in same situation, appointment cancelled 3 times in last 4 months due to unavailability of MCU2. Last cancellation was last week. They put me on a so called "Open Appointment date", I will be notified when part comes in and then they will contact me for an appointment, WTF.

To close the loop on this adventure, my upgrade was finally completed.

I dropped off the car Monday morning at 9am. They finished and released the car to me at 6:58p yesterday. Had to re-program Homelink, reconnect Bluetooth devices, and change a few other settings back to what they were pre-upgrade. It did preserve my driver profiles, though.

BUT! FM radio wasn't showing up. I spent the extra money for the radio upgrade and it was like that money was completely wasted. Wasn't super happy, so I dropped the car off again this morning. They bumped me to the front of the queue, confirmed the module was connected properly, but couldn't resolve the issue.

Here's the important bit:

They escalated the case super high. Like, I'm not really sure where it ended up. The point they made to me was that their shop foreman couldn't figure it out and there is a known bug. I did manage to find evidence of this bug, but everything I could find referred to satellite radio -- not FM.
Anyway, they asked if I could leave the car with them. Essentially, their plan was to leave the car plugged into the diagnostic system to give time for escalation engineers to crawl the software. They said it's entirely possible those engineers can fix the problem.

I was skeptical, but I agreed to it. 3 hours later, the app notified me the car was ready for pickup. I got in the car and the source was already set to FM. Cheeky bastards. HEY LOOK, IT WORKS NOW. Heh.

However, they have no information as to how it was fixed.

No idea. *shrug*

Tesla are becoming a joke 4th time my upgrade has been cancelled once when I was actually at the sc told me parts haven’t arrived. Latest time 4pm the day before. Can’t see Tesla survival beyond couple of years service is abysmal.