Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainment Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen a thread for this on the X side of the forums, so I thought I'd make one.

2016 MX P90DL, AP1, MCU1; completed the upgrade to MCU2 last week!

so far, totally worth, and I'm hoping for some sort of credit as my MCU 1 was struggling and frequently restarting. FAQS mention things should be figured out by February next year.

first sunset with the car, speedometer seemed dimmed, but adjusting the display % and then tapping auto seemed to fix it.

reverse camera is pretty darn dim, gotta squint to see but i can make it work for now i guess.

Web Browser, finally works! lol so amazed it can even load tesla.com
cool to see album art over bluetooth

netflix and hulu at charging stops has been amazing.

everything is just so SNAPPY, feels like a new car.

would love to hear if you've got questions or other things I should check out.

I was hoping this could be a spot where others who did the infotainment upgrade could share their results too!

oh also, they did replace my MCU display (my screen protector was off in the backseat)
they managed to dent the frame around the MCU, but mobile will be coming to replace it soon.

I haven't seen a thread for this on the X side of the forums, so I thought I'd make one.

so far, totally worth, and I'm hoping for some sort of credit as my MCU 1 was struggling and frequently restarting. FAQS mention things should be figured out by February next year.

first sunset with the car, speedometer seemed dimmed, but adjusting the display % and then tapping auto seemed to fix it.

reverse camera is pretty darn dim, gotta squint to see but i can make it work for now i guess.

I was hoping this could be a spot where others who did the infotainment upgrade could share their results too!

oh also, they did replace my MCU display (my screen protector was off in the backseat)
they managed to dent the frame around the MCU, but mobile will be coming to replace it soon.

I just made the my posts in the MS thread since that one has the longest history. As far as MCU upgrade, there is really no difference between MS and MX I think.

Just got mine back from service after FSD (HW3) and MCU upgrade. I have a MX 2017. So worth it. Just as you said, like a new car!

Visualizations are great. MCU does not hang or take forever to reboot. Noticed that my audio volume even lowers a little when I am coming to a stop and raises when I speed up.

I got the FSD back when they offered it for $2k,

Reactions: vthreee
Hi @TRACON,

Welcome!!!

Unfortunately, no the front radar is not changed and none of the cameras are changed either...

The HW3.0 only changes the Autopilot computer which is a heavy robust part
that is mounted above and behind the glove box and software of course...

You will love it!!!

Shawn

Reactions: Akikiki
I just got my 2016 AP1 upgraded also. Glad I re-read your post. My backup camera is also SUPER dim compared to the old. I did an overnight test drive on a model Y back in Oct/Nov and do recall it had a super dim camera also. I guess that's just the way it is on the new MCU. Wish it was a little brighter.

does anyone know the steps to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2?

I have a 2017 MX, i live outside the US and there is no tesla official dealer here. the dealer / importer where I bought the car said they cannot upgrade to MCU2 because some functions may not work after the upgrade.

but i think this is more of just configuration steps that need to be done.

so i got my car back from service on there it saids autopilot ecu3.0 msx fused and harn hw3 retrofit. I have a 2017 model x that i purchased FSD. What did they do? They didnt explain much.

Here is some info on the Infotainment upgrade and FSD installation. My 2016 MX is currently being serviced now and is having both systems upgraded. I was looking forward to the 250m front and 100m side cameras being be upgraded/installed (the 2016 model doesn't have side cams), but it doesn't sound like it is going to be included. :( That was part of why I bought the FSD back in 2019. To get the front & side cams and the new MCU upgraded. Also come to find out it doesn't include the newer 160m range radar or the newer 8m range ultrasonic sensors either. I'm very disappointed that this hardware is not being upgraded too (essential improvement features for FSD safety and Sentry Mode monitoring). Another caveat is FM & Sirius is not compatible with the new system and now you have to pay $500 to get it back by installing additional hardware.

Infotainment Upgrade
Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

Last edited:
Here is some info on the Infotainment upgrade and FSD installation. My 2016 MX is currently being serviced now and is having both systems upgraded. I was looking forward to the 250m front and 100m side cameras being be upgraded/installed (the 2016 model doesn't have side cams), but it doesn't sound like it is going to be included. :( That was part of why I bought the FSD back in 2019. To get the front & side cams and the new MCU upgraded. Also come to find out it doesn't include the newer 160m range radar or the newer 8m range ultrasonic sensors either. I'm very disappointed that this hardware is not being upgraded too (essential improvement features for FSD safety and Sentry Mode monitoring). Another caveat is FM & Sirius is not compatible with the new system and now you have to pay $500 to get it back by installing additional hardware.

Infotainment Upgrade
Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

Your X only has AP1 and can never be upgraded to AP2. They should have told you this. FSD is not even an option for AP1. I don't know how you even paid for it in 2019 and you should get your money back if you are expecting FSD. You are limited to "Autopilot with convenience features" which includes lane keep assist, lane change assist, parking assist, and summon.

I have a 2017 Model X with HW2.0 and MCU1. One of the features that is attractive about upgrading the MCU is to be able to have the sentry mode record videos to a memory stick and use the front camera as dashcam. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the MCU upgrade will provide that capability without also upgrading the autopilot computer to HW3.0:

"I was able to get with a colleague who confirmed that the hardware on your vehicle will not allow or enable video recording if the Infotainment Upgrade is performed without adding the full self-driving upgrade."

Does anyone know why you would need more autopilot horse power to record camera video?