Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainment Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, so just dropped off my 2013 P85 that I bought used from a private seller for an infotainment upgrade. When doing so I made a point to point out I wanted to retain my original parts. The rep stated she was unsure and would check. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those my items, there should be no checking necessary. Am I wrong?

Hello everyone, so just dropped off my 2013 P85 that I bought used from a private seller for an infotainment upgrade. When doing so I made a point to point out I wanted to retain my original parts. The rep stated she was unsure and would check. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those my items, there should be no checking necessary. Am I wrong?
You are incorrect (although not wrong, IMO). Tesla imposes a core charge and will not allow you to keep the original part.

I suspect their core charge is something ridiculous. Along the lines of the full price of the part. So basically they make you pay double if you want to keep it.

Just another shady, underhanded business practice they like to engage in to maintain control of the parts supply.

Reactions: TSLC
If they need them back so badly they should be compensating the original owners who already paid for them.
They would argue that the price of the infotainment upgrade is discounted with the expectation of a core unit and that the actual price is higher than the price you pay for the upgrade by about 1 core charge. 🙃

I don't see an issue with companies like Tesla wanting to retain the old parts to be able to refurbish and replenish aftermarket parts for service supply. The more parts that are made available to be reused in a safe manner, the longer the cars will not go obsolete and lack parts in the future. Although it varies across countries, the legal requirement for supplying spare parts are 7-15 years from manufacturing. Nothing stops a car manufacturer from trying to keep this longer so it's a sensible and cost effective way of doing this. I'm sure that many of us Tesla owners want to continue owning our cars for many years to come so...

Instead, be happy that Tesla has a great interchangeability of parts compared to many other brands where parts are changed every year and thus starting the clock ticking for parts to become obsolete.

That's how I see it anyway! :)

I don't see an issue with companies like Tesla wanting to retain the old parts to be able to refurbish and replenish aftermarket parts for service supply. The more parts that are made available to be reused in a safe manner, the longer the cars will not go obsolete and lack parts in the future. Although it varies across countries, the legal requirement for supplying spare parts are 7-15 years from manufacturing. Nothing stops a car manufacturer from trying to keep this longer so it's a sensible and cost effective way of doing this. I'm sure that many of us Tesla owners want to continue owning our cars for many years to come so...

Instead, be happy that Tesla has a great interchangeability of parts compared to many other brands where parts are changed every year and thus starting the clock ticking for parts to become obsolete.

That's how I see it anyway! :)
On top of this, it also decreases the chances for a third party repair to the most important parts of the car that assists with steering/breaking etc. Look at the unregulated mobile phone market where third party repair and supply of batteries to phones have caused fires, explosions and bodily injury. In this case, its the most important part of the car that they want to retain...

They would argue that the price of the infotainment upgrade is discounted with the expectation of a core unit and that the actual price is higher than the price you pay for the upgrade by about 1 core charge. 🙃
They can argue it all they want. The way other companies get around looking shady in situations like this is to clearly point out there is a core charge as part of the sale/repair. in writing.

Tesla doesn’t mention it and just takes the parts you own.

Hello,
A bit late to the thread but this just happened to me. On December 1st, I had an infotainment upgrade done to to my 2016 75D. I had to pay 2K for the upgrade. When I noticed that I didn't have my original MCU (thinking it was my property) I called the service center, to let them know. I advised I bought my car from Tesla, non - leased, no loan, cash deal, and questioned why my property was not returned? They advised they would get back to me. 5 days later no response. I called Tesla CS to complain. I did not sign anything that I was aware of, which allowed my property to be kept or trashed, by Tesla? There was nothing wrong with the unit. I even when to the extent of having the yellow haze around the edge of the MCU removed, the car has less than 30k mileage, it's in impeccable shape. I just wanted an upgrade. Within 1 min. I received a text from the service center asking if I wanted to pay an additional 500 for a core charge (Pennsylvania). What do you say to paying a ransom to getting your property back? They should have given me a discount of 500.00 to get a like new mcu, plus I had to pay the higher amount due to having FSD? This is BS....... Now I'm not guaranteed to get my unit, just a unit, for an additional cost. True cost to upgrade 3000.00!

• Disagree
Reactions: Krash
I received a text from the service center asking if I wanted to pay an additional 500 for a core charge (Pennsylvania). What do you say to paying a ransom to getting your property back?
Core charges are very common in the automotive world. It is news that they dropped it to $500, they used to charge a $1,000 core charge if you wanted to keep your old MCU/IC/AP units.

They could be more upfront that the upgrade cost is actually higher, but they credit you the core charge if you let them keep your old equipment, but they just assume that people don't want to keep it.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Krash