Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainment upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have MUC/eMMC crash/black screen issues on both screens more often now and overall sluggish/intermittent maps, internet, and music.
I had several SC appointments which never found anything useful, and they say:
- I need to wait for a firmware update... which seems to be stuck on 2020.48.37 for all MCU1 chipsets.
- Wait for eMMC recall backlog of undrivable to clear... yikes!

I am considering just getting the infotainment upgrade instead of waiting until the chipset die at some remote inconvenient place.
QUESTION
- Can anyone clarify the gigabyte size of the eMMC on the infotainment upgrade? Is it 8GB, 32GB, 64GB?

Thanks for your help and advice!

Last edited:
I just got the infotainment upgrade on my 2016 MX. My screen was taking longer and longer to boot up and my streaming music was frequently having loading issues. Both screens are clearing and the big screen no longer pixelates. I recommend the upgrade. I did not want to wait any longer for the MMC chip upgrade.

I just got the infotainment upgrade on my 2016 MX. My screen was taking longer and longer to boot up and my streaming music was frequently having loading issues. Both screens are clearing and the big screen no longer pixelates. I recommend the upgrade. I did not want to wait any longer for the MMC chip upgrade.
I am considering this on my 2016 Model X. Good to hear you did it and are happy about it. I assume it was $1500 plus $500 if you got the radio module?
I am told doing this takes care of the memory chip issue as well as the yellow border screen that eventually happens (and starts leaking gel out of the bottom). Did you simply schedule it on the app and they did it at the Service Center no issues?

I am considering this on my 2016 Model X. Good to hear you did it and are happy about it. I assume it was $1500 plus $500 if you got the radio module?
I am told doing this takes care of the memory chip issue as well as the yellow border screen that eventually happens (and starts leaking gel out of the bottom). Did you simply schedule it on the app and they did it at the Service Center no issues?
Hello fellow X owner from Erie, PA :D. I got the upgrade on our 2018 X this summer. It was $1500+500 with the radio tuner. It does take care of the eMMC issue as well as the screen yellowing. Mine also included the AP3 hardware upgrade. Infotainment Upgrade is one of the service options you can schedule within the app. I had it done at the Wexford SC and it took about a day and half. For me it was totally worth it. The MCU1/AP2.5 combo was slow and unstable. The difference is very noticeable. I even scheduled to upgrade my 2015 S with AP1 even though it won't get as many of the features as the X but the screen responsiveness for nav and music alone will be worth it.

Reactions: Erie Electric
Did you simply schedule it on the app and they did it at the Service Center no issues?
Yes I scheduled it on the App but I did have issues. It was over the holidays and took almost two weeks. They called me a day after I dropped it off to say that my compressor was sending reports that it was bad. I had never seen any reports about that issue. When I picked up the car they told me they had performed eight hours of diagnostics and asked me to approved an order for two hours. I refused to approve it after the fact. We settled on one hour at $210.
Then, one Sunday night a week later I could not access the car with either the App or my FOB. Tesla could not unlock it either remotely but the could see the car. I had to have it towed to the Service Center. The Service Center sent me a request to approve a new 12 volt battery and an hour of diagnostics. The 12 volt battery had been replaced a few months earlier and I refused that request reminding them of the replacement and the Infotainment diagnostics. They reversed that request and I was able to pick up the car the next day with no explanation or charges.
This was all at the Vallejo Service Center. Over the years I had had no issues like this at two other Service Centers. A friend had his 2015 Model S upgraded at Dublin with no issues and it only took a few days.

Reactions: Erie Electric
I got the infotainment upgrade last year in March 2021 on my 2016 tesla model x. Come June 2022, the MUC goes dark and apparently is defected. I never had the luxury to really enjoy the MCU upgrade, it has its faults so be careful. I hope they can honor and replace it because both the dashboard screen and the main big screen are both black.