Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainment yea or nay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gt1948

2017 S FSD AP 3.0 MCU 1
Aug 17, 2017
Millington TN
B89640AF-A681-4392-892A-CFB117FD9A7E.jpeg

The features mentioned are available today only while parked (though if FSD is ever approved, they should be available while the vehicle is in motion with FSD activated).

What also isn't mentioned is that you lose AM/FM/HD/XM radio.

We haven't noticed $2500 of difference between our X with MCU2/FSD and our S with MCU1/FSD.

So unless Tesla adds an option to support FM/HD/XM radio with the infotainment upgrade - we're out.

We haven't noticed $2500 of difference between our X with MCU2/FSD and our S with MCU1/FSD.
My husband said if the Model 3 he ordered in 2019 was as slow as my MCU 1, he would have returned it. He had only ever been a passenger in my car. Imagine my pain as a driver. Rebooting the MCU didn't help. We use streaming music in the car, and that performance improved with MCU 2, too.

Reactions: Gt1948
Not sure if this is still an issue. MCU1 used to have problems if the navigation history of past destinations got too long - which caused performance problems for all of the software running on the MCU1. Manually clearing the navigation history fixed the performance problems.

If that issue is still present, that could contribute to the perceived faster performance of the MCU2, because the settings/history are reset when upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2.

At least how we use our 2017 S MCU1/HW3 and 2018 X MCU2/HW3, we haven't noticed any significant performance differences, and because the Infotainment Upgrade primarily provides new functionality only while the vehicle is parked, we won't be upgrading it to MCU2 and then lose our FM/HD/XM radio - which is used during much of our driving.